Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by yobtaf103
Hi Guys , wife just got a Slim S 110
stage 1, V&H slip-ons PM Merc intake, no maps for 110 TBW softail it seems, at flashyourharley.com any suggestions for a base map
congrats and nice bike- you would contact DJ tech support directly for a custom tune file, or, if you buy the PV from FuelMoto, they will set you up with the custom tune file and help get you going.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

LA_Dog

I completely understand the conundrum. Problem is still in conflict and remains the same.

People accuse me of profiting off the products I speak about all the time so I understand Andy's troubles.

The poor unfortunate souls who accuse me have no clue as to who I am but they dishonor me all the same by spreading rumors. The difference between me and Andy is he profits and therefor it becomes a conflict with other people who pay for sponsorship.

He can petition IB for special circumstances if he pleases. I wish it were different but being a Mod I'm doing my duty here. Andy must refrain.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
LA_Dog

I completely understand the conundrum. Problem is still in conflict and remains the same.

People accuse me of profiting off the products I speak about all the time so I understand Andy's troubles.

The poor unfortunate souls who accuse me have no clue as to who I am but they dishonor me all the same by spreading rumors. The difference between me and Andy is he profits and therefor it becomes a conflict with other people who pay for sponsorship.

He can petition IB for special circumstances if he pleases. I wish it were different but being a Mod I'm doing my duty here. Andy must refrain.
Hmm- Got it Wiz, I see your point but honestly I don't know anything about all that other stuff, rumors / accusations, etc, you kinda lost me on that. As a regularly participating member I appreciate the work of all the admins here.

Members like Jamie, UltraNutz, Mac, Andy all take a lot of time here to help other members with a variety tuning questions. Not once have I felt that anyone is plugging anything or trying to get members to buy something, except of course FM and we all of course support that here. MLV is the only tool we have to look at collected log data, and if you cut off the main source of expert info then you've cut off a good avenue of tuning help for the rest of us.

Anyway, if you look back through posts I don't think you'll see any plugging going on- it only gets mentioned because (1) we have the maker here participating as a seasoned tuner and fellow member, and (2) there is nothing else to use period, and (3) we ask questions on how to better understand ride log data for purposes of improving tunes. Maybe you can assist with an exception or whatever is needed, because this provides unique value here and strictly in a related sense to this topic. I'm only asking for some further consideration because this is the sole thread on the entire site, and one of the best on the entire internet, to intelligently discuss advanced HD tuning topics with a pool of seasoned experts.

Again JMHO, my post is not meant to be overly argumentative or disrespectful. Simply some further information and point of view to consider. That's all I'll say on it to keep things back OT.

The following users liked this post:
scooterbum46 (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 12:35 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I will give you the fact that there are a lot of crappy tuners across the US that do nothing but take advantage of the unsuspecting but there are also a TON of excellent tuners across the US who I'd put a dyno tuned bike up against a TT tuned bike any day of the week...
UltraNZ-While it is not my intent to argue with your point for a couple of reasons, I will say that after a dyno tune (by a 'good' tuner who also admitted he was not a great tuner), and having previously used SERT, SESTPro, TTS, and PV since it came out with subsequent ATPro and now TT since July/August, I will say that reading Andy's posts, and Jamie's excellent info sharing, I've been able to make a huge difference in the dyno tune. Again, this does not replicate your point of having the bike tuned by an excellent dyno professional (and there are half a dozen or so around the country, that if I lived closer, I'd try),
I'd say Andy's offer to compare a good dyno tune file with a well developed TT tune file will be profitable to all. Unfortunately, since my dyno tune file is not the best, it'd not be a good comparison.

Wiz- I certainly see your point; and forum rules/regs are purposefully designed--no argument from me. Perhaps there is a way Andy and the mods can reach an agreement where he can still provide tuning analysis help to those of us who enjoy going beyond the TT basics. I think you mentioned his just not using the term MLV?

I have purchased the 'log viewer analysis' product and it has proven invaluable to me even though I'm still on what Dog refers to as that 'steep learning' curve, but the results have been excellent.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:51 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yobtaf103
Hi Guys , wife just got a Slim S 110
stage 1, V&H slip-ons PM Merc intake, no maps for 110 TBW softail it seems, at flashyourharley.com any suggestions for a base map
Hi Yobtaf- were I in your situation, I'd contact either DynoJet tech or FuelMoto tech. The reason I mention DJ first is because that was your reference. And as you probably discovered, S&S does not list the newer 110" either as referenced from the DJ sites.
I've found both FuelMoto and Dynojet to be most receptive to a call/question when it comes to supporting one of their products.
Good Luck.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:31 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JetD
UltraNZ-While it is not my intent to argue with your point for a couple of reasons, I will say that after a dyno tune (by a 'good' tuner who also admitted he was not a great tuner), and having previously used SERT, SESTPro, TTS, and PV since it came out with subsequent ATPro and now TT since July/August, I will say that reading Andy's posts, and Jamie's excellent info sharing, I've been able to make a huge difference in the dyno tune. Again, this does not replicate your point of having the bike tuned by an excellent dyno professional (and there are half a dozen or so around the country, that if I lived closer, I'd try),
I'd say Andy's offer to compare a good dyno tune file with a well developed TT tune file will be profitable to all. Unfortunately, since my dyno tune file is not the best, it'd not be a good comparison.

Wiz- I certainly see your point; and forum rules/regs are purposefully designed--no argument from me. Perhaps there is a way Andy and the mods can reach an agreement where he can still provide tuning analysis help to those of us who enjoy going beyond the TT basics. I think you mentioned his just not using the term MLV?

I have purchased the 'log viewer analysis' product and it has proven invaluable to me even though I'm still on what Dog refers to as that 'steep learning' curve, but the results have been excellent.
I would love to see some of those comparatives back to back. To me it seems very challenging for the average PV user to develop a good tune based on ride log data over several days / weeks / months. things like optimal spark advance, AE, DE, CDE etc, which are things that a good dyno operator / experienced tuner can develop in a day.

Actually it would be very nice if DJ, Andy or whomever created some log data automation for the average Joe- things like "optimize my spark advance" or "tune CDE" or "optimize fuel tables" or "optimize Map load compensation" based on input log data, and presented suggested changes to make in the tune file. I think anyone would pay money for that. we have all the raw data, just nothing that is designed for use by riders with minimal to no actual tuning experience.

TTS has some built in utilities like this albeit basic. When you look at the log analysis suites included with most of the popular automotive delphi aftermarket tuners (at all price ranges), it painfully shows how little tools we HD delphi owners actually have. JMHO.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:51 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
If you read between the lines, it is the people that own dynos and tune for a living that hate Target Tune. I have spent the last 10 years looking at data coming off EFI systems. I can tell you Target Tune is plenty good enough to terrify the guys selling dyno time.

You can use software like MLVHD to prove that TT is doing it's job. You can trust it to work as designed. You can have Jamie or any number of other people around the net look at the data. The last option is spend several hundred dollars to strap the bike to a dyno and have some guy thrash your bike.

Most people opt for installing the SW and HW, drive it for several TT tuning sessions and then go ride. A few people are like me and enjoy "watching" TT doing it's thing and enjoy learning. Software engineers write software (formulas) to automate all this stuff. Many of my best friends are these software engineers.

Have fun tuning.

Andy
It doesn't terrify me one bit. What you fail to realize is that the mass majority of HD riders just want to ride their bikes and enjoy them. That's the bottom line. Yes a small percent enjoy the technical aspect of doing the tuning themselves and for them, TT is a great product. One other thing that is never mentioned is that DynoJet doesn't recommend using the TT as a replacement for a dyno tune, i've spoken with them and even have that as a response from them in an e-mail. Since the TT only adjusts fuel and doesn't take ignition timing into account. The e-mail I got from them basically says the TT is great for maintaining a proper dyno tune.

You get a kick out of reading data, that's great. I see you time and time again tell people with issues to run out and collect massive data logs so you can have you fun looking for issues. To me that is horrible advice. Why would anyone want to ride an out of tune bike for extended periods just to gather data? That makes no sense. The whole idea of having any engine properly tuned is not only for performance but for longevity, what good does it do to get a bike all dialed in after the damage has been done?

Old 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by JetD

In the hierarchy of things on this site the Mods are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to staffing. I can't make that call.

Andy will need to reach an agreement with IB. Mentioning his product or not he still profits from it and that's where IB asks the Mods to step in moving the seller to IB front office.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud but its clear and if I were remiss then there are hundreds of people we have shut down in the past for profiting without sponsoring that would have every right to club me.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
If you read between the lines, it is the people that own dynos and tune for a living that hate Target Tune. I have spent the last 10 years looking at data coming off EFI systems. I can tell you Target Tune is plenty good enough to terrify the guys selling dyno time.

You can use software like MLVHD to prove that TT is doing it's job. You can trust it to work as designed. You can have Jamie or any number of other people around the net look at the data. The last option is spend several hundred dollars to strap the bike to a dyno and have some guy thrash your bike.

Most people opt for installing the SW and HW, drive it for several TT tuning sessions and then go ride. A few people are like me and enjoy "watching" TT doing it's thing and enjoy learning. Software engineers write software (formulas) to automate all this stuff. Many of my best friends are these software engineers.

Have fun tuning.

Andy
I'll still continue to strap mine to a dyno if I want my timing table to be correct, just setting the AFR and not messing with the timing is only half the tune. Heck with some builds timing and AFR is still only part of the tune. Some builds need other tables addressed, and some layman won't have a clue how to do it, they'll only dig them selves a deeper hole if they try. Dynojet as a company would be foolish if they produced a product that would produce a tune without the need of a dyno.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:59 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Everyone that has been participating in this thread has some good seasoned advice to give, and takes their own free time to help out others here. let's stop with the pissing contest and get back on track with the topic. all of you are right in your own way with your own personal tuning preferences and have something to share, and none of you are necessarily going to agree with each other. big deal. play nice.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread