Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Got my 25 degree injectors without a hassle

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:57 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Got my 25 degree injectors without a hassle

I have been pontificating a lot here saying HD should just recall all the 8 degree injectors used in early 06 bikes instead of only fixing those that exhibit problems. My feeling was if it is a known issue, why wait? It’s not really a question of whether or not an owner will experience the cold start and stalling issues. It’s more a question of when. I was also a little disappointed by the stories where dealers were less than willing to do the work when a bike came in. Some of the stories read as if the owner had to testify under oath and provide significant evidence to support claims the injectors were causing a problem.

Parts of my feelings were fueled by my having a set of 8 degree injectors on my 06 Springer. However I had not, as yet, experienced any problems. I felt like I had a time bomb between my legs.

Being the eternal optimist (insert sarcasm here) I was sure I was going to have a cold start or stall issue at the worst possible moment. The bike would fall or I would be hit by a car. I would be able to get the injectors swapped but only after significant effort to prove it wasn’t pilot error that caused the stalling. Then I would find that HD would not pay for the repairs above the injector swap. While the stalling caused me to lose my balance, I dropped the bike therefore it would be between me and my insurance company to pay for those repairs.

Well, as luck would have it, I did experience problems associated with the injectors. Never thought I’d ever be happy to have the bike NOT run right. I took the bike to a local dealer. They were thinking a sensor failure initially. I provided them a copy of the bulletin regarding the injectors and asked that they at least rule that out. A day later I had my bike back. They did change the injectors. No questions. I was surprised. With other stories in the forum combined with knowing I had to use a dealer I’m not too find of made me worry I was going to have a very bad experience. Turned out to be a pretty good one.

The only gripe I had was they didn’t upgrade the Cal. I had the Stage I load for 8 degree injectors loaded. They didn’t change that tot the Stage I for 25 degree injectors. I didn’t find out until I got home and checked it with the SERT. No biggie. It rode home ok and I can do it here.

I’m breathing a sigh of relief since I had mine done. But that doesn’t mean I’m getting down off my soapbox on this topic. I still believe HD should unconditionally replace ALL the early 2006 8 degree injectors.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Got my 25 degree injectors without a hassle

Consider yourself fortunate.... in that they replaced the injectors, as your ECM is Race Tuned.....

And FWIW, if they did install the 25 Stage I (Race I presume), they would have needed prior authorization from HD, to install the cal...

Had that happened, HD would have seen that your ECM is Race Tuned and possibly DENIED the entire Injector replacement.....

Just install the correct map from your Tuner Software and redial it back to where it needs to be.....

Old 12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info. Good to know. I was slightly concerned about that. Just below the GIANT Screaming Eagle banner on the service department wall is a signing outlining their new policy of not selling or installing performance parts.

Maybe that's why they didn't do the Cal (I am using the race tuner).

I'm counting my blessings and moving on.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:34 AM
Hobe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

Consider yourself fortunate.... in that they replaced the injectors, as your ECM is Race Tuned.....

And FWIW, if they did install the 25 Stage I (Race I presume), they would have needed prior authorization from HD, to install the cal...

Had that happened, HD would have seen that your ECM is Race Tuned and possibly DENIED the entire Injector replacement.....

Just install the correct map from your Tuner Software and redial it back to where it needs to be.....
It is my understanding that on dealer installed parts on 06 and prior year bikes that the warranty is unaffected, I understood this to include the SERT. Maybe this is incorrect, but my dealer hasn't seen it as a problem so far on my 06 with SERT.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Each dealership is different...... If the SERT is to blame for the injector failure, that is one thing, but the SERT is a RACE USE component, and NOT a P&A item...... Race use components, in all actuality carry no warrenty, it is each individual dealer that chooses to adhere to the standard policy, or attempt to make good in house, to appease the customer..... Unless of course, the dealership itself screwed up the component.....

The reflash, had it been done, would have been a Stage I, 25 degree, only good for an SEAC and nothing more..... It would have overwritten any tuning that had been accomplished up to that point, and there is no telling how the bike would have run.....

The difference between the 2 types of injectors (VE) is about .25 - .5 AFR....

An excerpt from the Service Bulletin.....

Page #2....
4. Update the ECM calibration. For those motorcycles
equipped with P&A Screamin’ Eagle 1450cc or 1550cc
Performance Kits, refer to h-dnet.com for the correct calibration
P/N.
Credit Procedure
Complete a separate warranty claim for each vehicle
serviced. Reference Service Bulletin M-1185 in the
“Comments” or “Notes” section and be sure to include the VIN
of the vehicle on which the service was performed. Fill in the
rest of the claim as follows:
Performance calibrations require pre-authorization from Technical
Service to be considered for warranty coverage unless
listed on the SWR.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 AM
mmarsalone
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I rode my bike to New Orleans from St. Louis, just before Thanksgiving, I was at my dealer talking to the service manager. I was talking about my trip the upcoming weekend. I mentioned to him that the only thing I wasn't sure of was whether I had the 8 degree or the 25 degree injectors, but I hadn't had any problems. He said they had been replaicng them and to bring my bike in and they would replace them. I dropped the bike off on Thursday morning and picked it up that afternoon.They changed them out, no questions asked. And I've installed everthing on my bike myself, the Fuel pak, pipes, chrome controls, everything. Left for New Orleans the next morning and left the bike down there since I'll be moving home next week. I just hope that Hammond Harley or New Orleans Harley are as friendly and cooperative as Boubeuse Valley HD in Missouri.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:17 AM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my bike in for some part installation and my dealer installed them without me even knowing that this was a problem. . I guess it is a slow time of year and they needed something for the mechanics to do.