Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Eating Ignition Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 PM
'D'
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eating Ignition Fuses

My bike (2004 Fatboy FLSTFI) has been eating ignition fuses. It started after I had a set of WO518 handle bars (internally wired) and Heat Demon grip heaters installed by my local dealership. I picked her up no problems, I go to ride to work that Friday and the fuel pump is not spinning up and I noticed that there was a blown ignition fuse. Went to the auto parts store and replaced it no problem... or so I thought.

First clue was that the standard 15A fuse had been replaced with a 20A fuse. I though that maybe the new grip heaters which are wired into the ignition circuit (only works with the switch on) needed the extra amps. Well like I said I replaced the fuse. About 3 rides later the same thing happens and simpleminded me thought maybe 25 would be better than 20A since it popped. Bike ran with the 25 No problems.

Well today similar issue, I replace the fuse and this time the fuel pump spins up but I hit the start switch and click pop... fuse blown... replace the fuse again and fuel pump spins up hit start and click pop fuse blown... I try this with 15A all the way through to 30A nothing. After reading a few forum posts I think I may have a short in the wiring somewhere just not sure where to start. I just hope that having the higher amp fuses didn't make what i think to be a short worse by burning up wires in between the fuse and the starter switch. Also I don't want to have to pull the handle bars apart to trace the wires... Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM
gregmay
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Take it back to them.