Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Disarm Smart Security System

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 AM
zlaneb
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Disarm Smart Security System

Mr Ed,
I may be stupid here and not understanding the question. But the system disarms when you get within 4-6 feet of the bike with the fog. In other words, the fob doesn't need buttons because it is a proximity device. Get it close to the bike and it automatically disarms it.
Does that make sense?
zlaneb

Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Nexus9
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default disarming vs disabling

What people are talking about here is disabling the system, so it becomes non-functional, as if it wasn't installed. The system is disarmed (security released) when the fob gets in range and communicates with the TSSM (turn signal security module); but if it is not disabled, it will arm again when the fob is out of range. Some people (myself included) don't like a buttonless (totally automatic) security system - too many chances that it will "automatically" make a bad choice and render your bike un-startable. I've had my fob in my pocket, and couldn't start my '08 Ultra until I shifted the fob around - metal keys blocking the signal? What happens when the battery in the fob dies (which always happens at 1am as you exit the saloon three sheets to the wind) and you can't for the life of you remember the manual sequence for entering your code - if you can even remember your 5-digit code? In the right order?

Old 11-25-2010, 12:30 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

The only way to disable the system is to remove the TSSM and replace it with a TSM.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:49 PM
lschultz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrEd
Thanks for all of the responses. I was trying to find out how to totally disarm the system, like pushing the button to disarm the system on the old fobs. Closest that I can see is the service mode that the techs put it in when at the dealers.
I had problems with mine took it to the dealer and they put there computer on it and disabled it took em longer to take it to the back and plug in the computer than to disarm it. And it was free.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Nexus9
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Disabling/Removing TSSM Security in '07-later Ultra

For those of you do-it-yourselfers out there (like me) who don't want to have to make the trip to the dealer every time they want something done, let me relate my experience with removing the TSSM non-pushbutton security system on my '08 Ultra. This may work for other bikes, but I'm not a factory mechanic - so I can only confirm that this will work on '07 and later touring. One of the advantages of doing this yourself is that you can keep your original module (along with a printout of this post) and re-install it at any time without another trip to the dealer, or if the bikes new owner wants a security system.
The factory security system is contained within the Turn Signal Module (TSM), which becomes a Turn Signal Security Module (TSSM) when it is so equipped. If you are disabling the TSSM (do NOT want a security system on your bike) then you have a TSSM installed now, HD p/n 68924-07. This is a roughly cone-shaped device in a black plastic case, mounted vertically under the seat and to the right (starboard) side. Mine was held down with a silver metal clip. The first thing we need to do is replace this item with a NON-security equipped TSM.
So before you go hunting for the TSSM on your bike and removing it, buy the part you're going to replace it with - in this case, HD p/n 68920-07. They are $114 new from Harley, but I found many on eBay and bought one for $24.95 including shipping to my door. You will also need (highly recommended) a 2 amp (or so) motorcycle battery charger to complete the job safely.
Okay - now, we have everything we need to do the job completely. Find the TSSM under the seat of your bike, remove the clip, and lift it out. There will be TWO connectors plugged in to it; remove both. Note that one of the plugs is larger than the other - this is the input, ECM, and turn signal connector - we will use this again. The smaller plug is the output for pager and siren - tape that one up to protect it and set it aside for now. Plug the larger plug into your new TSM, and slide the assembly back into place, carefully storing the loose connector where it won't rattle or take too much wear.
Whoa. That's it?
Nope. If you try to start your bike at this point, it will rumble and die, and you'll be cursing me for life. The bike knows that the security system has been compromised, and is trying to protect you, the owner. Getting it to feel all warm and fuzzy about its new body parts takes another half an hour - which kind of discourages the swap-out-and-quick-getaway-routine by a more unscrupulous rider who just happens to be enamored with your new paint job.
In the next step, we're going to have the bike's ignition (and lighting) on for more than half an hour, so here's the part where we plug in a 2 amp battery charger to keep things live. With the battery charger hooked up, perform the following:

1. Be sure the ignition has been OFF for 15 seconds or more before starting the procedure.
2. Set Run/Off switch to RUN.
3. Turn ignition key on, do not start. Verify that the Check Engine Light and Security Light come on, and wait for them to go out.
4. Attempt a normal start with the Start button. Engine should come to life and then die. The Check Engine Light should light up and stay on.
5. Wait ten seconds. The Security Light now comes on. The ECM has now entered communication mode with the TSM for the next ten minutes. Look at your watch and do something else for the next ten minutes, but don't shut off the bike, let the battery die, flip any switches, or unplug anything electrical. Just polish the fenders or something.
6. In ten minutes, the security light will turn off. Within 15 seconds, turn the ignition key Off and back On. This Off-On motion should be crisp, completed in two seconds or less. The Security Light comes back on, and you have another ten minute wait.
7. When the Security light goes out again, repeat step six.
8. When the Security Light goes out this time, do the Off-On thing, then when the Security Light comes back on again, shut the ignition OFF. Wait at least 15 seconds, during which time you should be (carefully) unplugging your battery charger (unplug from the wall outlet, then from the bike, right...?).
9. With 15 seconds or more gone by, turn your ignition on, confirm the Run button, confirm neutral, and start your bike. You've created a happy marriage between your ECM and the new TSM, and you no longer have to worry about having a key fob or memorizing a security code. Now you can just worry about someone riding off with your bike whilst you're suckin down a brew in the local pub - use the fork lock!
If you're like me, you'll never remember all this two years from now when you're selling your bike, so print this out, take the battery out of your key fob, and put the fob, TSSM, and this paper in a ziplock bag and store it wherever you would go to look for it two years from now. Happy riding!

Old 11-26-2010, 02:31 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrEd
I recently purchased a 2007 Heritage Softail and noticed that the speedometer/ignition module is attached to the gas tank by a single 1/2 inch cap nut. Remove the cap nut, lift the module, turn it over, and you have complete access to the ignition system. Might as well have a toggle switch for the ignition. To help improve the security, I had the smart security module with smart siren/pager II installed. This system is smart and arms automatically when the ignition is turned off. No buttons to push on the FOB to arm/disarm the system. Now, my question is, how do you disarm the system, other than popping the main fuse? I know there is a way because the shop manual states that the technician can disarm the system by entering a sequence via the turn signal switches while the FOB is in range. Does anybody know the sequence and willing to give it up?

The sequence is in the owners manual for my Touring 09. Check your book for the procedure.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:28 PM
jimahl
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the fob nearby, turn on the ignition, when the system disarms you can remove the main fuse. Now you can do whatever you need to do, like change a battery