Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How Long to Dyno Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:12 AM
ultra2006
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Long to Dyno Bike

I have PC111 and Big sucker, RH TD, how long should it take a good teck to fine tune it and what is av cost.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:15 AM
gabhart
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: How Long to Dyno Bike

2 hours @ $54 and hour. That was my '07 Ultra done in Pennsylvania.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:24 AM
waterman7474
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya know, the two dealers hear are trying to tell me that it takes 5 hours to do a custom dyno/map w/ a SERT, "yeah man, almost an hour per gear. that's why we get such good numbers!!" both said almost the exact same thing, verbatum!!

i'm still finding that pretty hard to believe. that seems excessive!!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 AM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want your bike screaming on the dyno for 5 hours??

With a PC and a Tuning link center, your bike will be perfect in about an hour. (average cost, $200-$250)

Plus, manually tuning a bike will be poor unless the operator is really good.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

My custom map took "4 hours" and that's what they charged me for. I know for a fact that it only took the guy 3 hours. He didn't have to drill my baffles for the o2 sensor, either since my pipes came off of a previously dyno'd bike.

What that really means is that this dealer charged $280 for a custom map. I used a HD Dealer that was dynotek certified. If you can find an Indy with a good rep. you might save some money, but I wanted mine done by HD so that I had better warranty connections for my attorney to pursue when they refused to cover whatever it was that was going to happen.

I'm happy with the results. It will only take me about 200 tanks of gas to save the cost of the dyno tune over an off the shelf map due to better gas mileage (20 miles per tank better). [:@]

C#

Old 02-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Kong
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped at the local dealer earlier in the week with the same question, but I added in what if I bought the Power Commander from him, because he sells them and I thought that might be some sort of incentive to either not rape me on the dyno time or maybe cut a little slack on the price of the unit. Neither happened. He gave me MSRP on the tuner and then said it would be about 3 hours at $65 per hour to then fine tune the MAP that would be loaded into it. The exhaust and intake on my bike are so commonplace that virtually every type of tuner has some sort of program desgined specifically for it - so there as absolutly nothing out of the ordinary about the estimate I asked him about. I thought it was far too high. He was talking about three sixty for the tuner and another two hundred to get it right, five and a half or six hundred by the time I was done with it

I can buy a new PC-III-USB on line for about two fifty with the Map of my choice already loaded. My expectation on the dyno ran more like this; they would take a half hour to get it on the rollers and take a couple of baseline passes to work from. Then I figured they would take somewhere betweenanother hour to an hour and a half to fine tune the Map. I expected dyno time to run me around $60~65 per hour for maybe a hundred and a half bill for time spent when it was all said and done. In his scene I'd have about four fifty in the whole thing

Old 02-04-2007, 01:35 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience.

I went to a local metric shop that was dyno jet certified. (No HD shop in the area) I was quoted $250 for a check it out basic tune and $450 for a tight tune.

Now if I had a metric that went to 18,000 RPM that was going to require a dyno run at 1000 RPM increments I could see the $450, however my HD was only going to need 6-7 pulls.

The results were. The tech did seven pulls and told me on the side that he just tuned the bike like it should have been. As he called it a full tune. I'm happy with the results.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did mine today.

$375 and it took a little more than an hour. With putting the AF hoses in the pipes, getting the fans set to keep a constant head temp, etc...

Stepped through every rpm range and each throttle percentage for each cylinder individually.
Couple dozen full pulls while working on it to be sure all was working out well.

Tuned for both WOT and regular riding.

Califonia is expensive...but I am happy!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:34 AM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

flat 350 for a warenty . It took 5 hours to tune my bike with a sert. I know it was a proublem child.