Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII USB INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 06:31 PM
El Jefe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII USB INSTALL

I'm half way through installing a Big Sucker, V&H Big Radius and a PCIII USB on a 2006 FXSTS. Air filter went on easy, old pipes are off and the new are on a blanket waiting to go on, battery is out and the 2 bolts holding the relay /fuse panel are out. This is where I'm stuck; the instructions say to remove the relays/fuses from the metal panel and discard it - I can't seem to separate them from the panel. It looks like they should just slide off but they seem to be hitting something, anybody have any ideas?

Old 02-05-2007, 04:54 AM
07sophtayl
Advanced
Default RE: PCIII USB INSTALL

Hi El.

there is a little tab under the relay/ fuse blocks, that needs to be flattened out to allow the relay/ fuse blocks to slide out. It takes a little patience and jiggling but you can get it. You may need to get some long nose pliers to squeeze the tab in until you slide the relay/ fuse blocks off.

cheers

Mick

Old 02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
El Jefe
Intermediate

Thanks Mick! I noticed the tabs but haven't found the correct "tool" to get back there to press on them, just doesn't seem to be enough slack in the harness to get a straight shot at them. Hooked up the PC and just left it laying on top of the relays and started it up just to hear it - all I can say is man is it sweet!! The bake actually sounds like a Harley should. Now all I have left is to figure out how to press the tabs, get the PCIII tied in place and seat reinstalled let the air temp get above 40 degrees (whoever said Virginia was in the South was mistaken) and ride her, can't wait.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I remember correctly, I went in from the bottom with a screwdriver to push in on the tabs.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:18 PM
El Jefe
Intermediate

Thanks Dave, took about an hour of fighting with it but they both finally came off. According to the directions now I'm supposed to "route the PCIII connectors from the bottom of the bike into the battery tray through the hole in the left side." Well I've spent the last hour trying that one and let me tell you the connectorseems to be larger than the opening, especiallywith the2 wires already going through the same opening. Anybody have any experiencewith or ideas on how to solve this?? It would be so much easier ifthe PCIII's wiring harness disconnected at the PCIII, that way you'd only have to feed the one smaller connector down through the hole instead of the 2 larger ones. I'm beginning to regret the purchase, thank God it's so cold out.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:45 AM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think the install on the 06 was any different than the 05 and I didn't have to do any of what your talking about. Did you get the new ECM mount tray? If you did, it puts the ECM lower to give you room for the PC3 to mount on top of the ECM. Try reading this pdf installation file. http://powercommander.com/maps2/805/pdf/EngI805-511.pdf
It's for the 01 to 06 softail. All it does with the relays is to push them down to clear the ECM wiring.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 AM
El Jefe
Intermediate

Hey John, nice '05 Spinger. I traded a '05 Springer (Chopper Blue)for an '06 Springer (Chopper Blue/Silver)to get the wide tire. This PCIII install is starting to make me regret it. If you look at those instructions, they're the same ones I'm using, the procedure for the '06 Softails starts on page 8. The PCIII gets installed in front of the rear tire behind the mud guard with the cables routed up into the battery box from below on the left side. I did trace on of the 2 wires in my way, one is the alarm system. I've got a pair of cutters in my hand and I'm going to cut the ties and push the alarm unit back up into the battery box to see if this gives me enough clearance. The 2nd wire was actually a breather hose that runs up under the tank from in front of the rear wheel. Well off to try again...

Old 02-11-2007, 01:18 AM
El Jefe
Intermediate

Success!!!! Just want to thank everybody who replied. I cut the ties for the alarm and pushed it up into the battery box and held the breather tube out of the way while I pushed. It wasn't easy but both connectors are through and into the battery box. Thanks to everybody once again...gonna ride it tomorrow! At least for 15-20 minutes - high is only supposed to be 38 tomorrow...[/align]

Old 02-11-2007, 01:34 AM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to hear you got it in. I just reread the info and I guess I was wrong, I didn't pay attention to the part about the 06 models I assumed they were talking about the deuce. I almost bought the 06 Springer but the dealer and I couldn't come to agreement so I found the 05 at another dealer that gave me a decent trade in on my 03 Sporty, I've wanted a Springer for a long time and since the 06 was the last year I had to get one.