Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Breather Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:42 PM
cruncher
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Breather Tube?

sorry to here still leak that yellow tape usually seals good the theads must be screwed from that bolt that was forced in there ,heres a little trick that will work to repair you threads but the nasty part is that your going to have to remove the timing cover and find someone that works on britbikes that pipe thread size that you have is 1/8-26 NPT the british size is 1/8-28 BPT and just a little bit biger in dia. so you need a british tap and a british plug then you can take that tap and put lots of grease on it and tap right into the origanal hole and you should end up with a clean thread if you cannot find a british tap and plug i could send you one out but i would need my tap sent back because i do lot of work on brit bikes as well as harleys and indians i will be gone mosse hunting until wed.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:49 PM
cruncher
Novice

that was moose hunting not mosse hunting , iam going to have to learn how to spell , type and operate my first computer and send pictures

Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 AM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you put at least 5 wraps of tape around the plug in a clockwise direction, looking at the end of the plug?
Can you determine that this hole is still where the oil is coming from, or is there an additional location for the leaking?..........pg
I did 3 wraps of tape. I tried more but could not get the plug in the hole. Between the angle I had to put this in, and the shifter lever in my way, this thing was next to impossible to get in. It took me two hours just to put the plug in.

I am not sure if oil is still coming from this hole or somewhere else. I'm hoping it is somewhere else! I won't get a chance to tear it back down for a couple of days, so hopefully I can figure something out soon.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:24 AM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry to here still leak that yellow tape usually seals good the theads must be screwed from that bolt that was forced in there ,heres a little trick that will work to repair you threads but the nasty part is that your going to have to remove the timing cover and find someone that works on britbikes that pipe thread size that you have is 1/8-26 NPT the british size is 1/8-28 BPT and just a little bit biger in dia. so you need a british tap and a british plug then you can take that tap and put lots of grease on it and tap right into the origanal hole and you should end up with a clean thread if you cannot find a british tap and plug i could send you one out but i would need my tap sent back because i do lot of work on brit bikes as well as harleys and indians i will be gone mosse hunting until wed.
Cruncher,
That is an extremely generous offer and I appreciate it very much. But I think for now I'm going to try to see if other leaks are causing the problem. I know that my primary leaks too, and I am going to put a new gasket on. I don't know if the oil could go from the left side primary all the way over to the right side of my back tire, but who knows? I probably have other small leaks that I'm not aware of also.

Thanks Again,
Barry

Old 10-13-2007, 12:40 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

'I don't know if the oil could go from the left side primary all the way over to the right side of my back tire, but who knows?'
Not very likely, and besides, you seem to have lessened the oil leak with the plug install.
If it were me I would not consider re-tapping that hole, especially with a different thread tap. Whenever you tap something the result is that afterwards you have less metal there than before you ran a tap into it. We are talking cast aluminum here, which is about the weakest material you could get outside of pewter carb material. So, you need to preserve all the metal that is there now. There was probably more metal there before the guy ran the wrong thread bolt in there too.
Another drawback is having to remove the timing cover. There are loose cams and spacer shims that will fall out when the cover comes off. Cam timing would need to be done to put it back together. The shims would need to go back in exactly where they were before because these set the clearance on the cams end play. If you are not inclined towards things mechanical it would be much better to let the sleeping dog lie on the timing cover.

Can you get a socket wrench on the head of the plug?
3 wraps of teflon tape is minimal, and 5 would be better if you could get the plug started.
If not, try wrapping it with 4 turns and keep it pulled very tight as you wrap. Keep us informed on how it goes, and let me know if you need help with the clutch release adjustment procedure when you remove the primary cover.......pg

Old 10-17-2007, 09:10 AM
cruncher
Novice

i dont know why pgdoesnt want to tap a hole with ruined threads basicly that all you can do ,as for fighting with t-tape i would give up on that and try the JB weld trick with no tape and it will be much easier to start and alot better chance of holding but if that dont work you have no choice but to tap good luck

Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

cruncher.....
I would not tap the hole myself for the following reasons:
1) The British tap is a different size than what was originally used. So I would not use that tap. The Brit tap will only make a poor fit worse. It will create a mountain of metal shavings in doing so. If the threads were actually damaged, then I might chase the threads with a like sized tap as per the original tap.
2) This passage is coming from the oil pump, so I will not knowingly introduce metal shavings into it by tapping. Yes, I know the 'coat the tap with grease' exercise, but it is not something I will do myself.
So, that is my view on the subject and it is only my opinion. I am not saying it is right or wrong, it is just what I would do if the problem were mine.......pg