Long Ride Shields Long Ride Shields maintains the goal of offering high quality custom windshields for owners of Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Ultra Flip-Up OR X-STREAM

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Pirate Boy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Flip-Up OR X-STREAM

Im looking into getting one of these but not sure what would be better. Anyone try both or maybe a suggestion on either? Im running the radio caddy faring that has a 5 hole mount. The windshield i have now is about 9" ( if you measure from the mounting bolts)

The sig picture is a 4" windshield i like the looks of but the buffeting is bad so i had a taller one made

Thanks for any help

Ride Safe
Pirate

Old 04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,865 Likes on 21,492 Posts

Buy 1 of each and then you can do a review..

No, seriously though, I have their regular recurve flip and like it.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:25 AM
Pirate Boy
Tourer

Yeah let me run that by the wife . ill just tell her im doing a review LOL. wonder if that would work with another bike to :-) Im kinda leaning towards the flip-up but not sure if the xstream would work better.

Ride Safe
Pirate

Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
goose136
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the 8"ultra today but on went for 20 mile ride and they do work can wear my regular glasses without my eyes watering could not do that with regular 8"flat shield the ship super quick and nice looking!!!!could be darker but you can still run harley 3 pouch without it hanging out on edge!!!give a+++

Old 04-12-2010, 05:02 PM
truxpin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pirate Boy
The sig picture is a 4" windshield i like the looks of but the buffeting is bad
I hear ya Pirate, I got the same problem, that little windshield looks cool, but otherwise is virtually worthless!
I just ordered an 8 inch Ultra -Flip, should have it by Thursday for my Electra Glide. I'll post some pics & let ya know how it measures up.

Hey Goose, what shade of screen did you order? Just curious. I ordered the dark grey.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Pirate Boy
Tourer

Cool thanks for the input guys . looking forward to hearing how they perform more. Just wondering if im running a 9" now if i can go with a lower on or just get the 9"

Ride Safe
Pirate

Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Pirate Boy
Tourer

Well I decided on the x stream finally lol. Got the 9" dark grey on the way . Can't wait to give it a try

Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 PM
truxpin
Advanced
Thumbs up

Well, my Ultra-Flip showed up today via USPS, I spent 5 minutes removing my old shield & installing the new one. I went with the 8" dark grey shade. I really like the way it looks, but, of course being that I took the day off work to get a head start on working on building some stairs for my deck.... It is raining! So no ride review, yet.
Of course maybe if it slows a bit I can gedt out for a short ride & see how it really performs in a light rain. ( throwing rain up & over my head?) Well see.

Attached Thumbnails Ultra Flip-Up OR X-STREAM-windshield2.jpg   Ultra Flip-Up OR X-STREAM-windshield1.jpg   Ultra Flip-Up OR X-STREAM-windshield3.jpg  
Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 AM
truxpin
Advanced

Ride Review****

I took the old scoot out for a quick ride in the rain on Friday. The shield did a pretty good job of protecting my head from direct impact with the rain. I also went riding on Saturday after the weather cleared up a bit. Compared to the little 4" "shield" I had on previously, this 8" flip works wonders for things like "buffetting" wind blast on the top of my head. In direct relation the the loss of wind on the top of my head, it also seems like less wind coming up from under the fairing( i'm sure the effect just seems like less wind because there is less wind up top, I don't really think the ultra Flip does much for the air flow under the fairing)
The quality of the shield is near perfect, I expected some kind of distortion in the areas of the shield where it curves & bends, but to my surprise, there is none! Installation is of course a snap, the fit is perfect. The shade I went with was Dark Grey, and while it is dark, it is by no means opaque. With my tinted goggles on and riding on a dark rainy day I was still able to tuck in behind the shield and view through it if necessary. But still looks dark enough from a distance to fit in with my Black paint on the bike.
The only "bad" thing I can possibly say about this shield is the relfection from the riders point of view, I'm almost hesitant to make mention of it as ALL windshields have reflection. I have just been spoiled from years of riding with out a real shield on the front of the bike, I will certianly get used to it! ( it is very minimal at best)
I went with the 8" Ultra Flip, and with my Sundowner seat on the bike the shield is just a bit tall. I am about 5'9" & 170lbs. But with my stock touring seat (which sits me up higher) it is perfect!
All in all I would give this shield an

A+ for value
A+ for fit & finish
A+ for performance
( just wish the 6" was available in opaque black )

Old 04-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Pirate Boy
Tourer

cool glad it works good for ya. I got mine yesterday and havnt had a chance to go out and try it yet. i need to do a few things then out for a road test.

Ride Safe
Pirate