Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to have an intelligent discussion about the M8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:14 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve had my 18 CVO Limited for a month and so far I love it. Sure...maybe it will have a problem...and maybe it won’t. But if it does have one then warranty can deal with it. If I get to the point where it’s so bad I get frustrated...then I’ll ride something else. That seems to be a better choice than blubbering on an Internet forum.

The following users liked this post:
Newfie (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:34 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,173 Likes on 3,523 Posts

I love my M8 and pay no mind to the complaints. Do I watch for indications of trouble that others have seen? Absolutely. Do I worry about them? No.

As an enthusiast of everything with engines, I have done a lot of mods on many different vehicles over the years. I have belonged to many different enthusiast forums because I do like to participate in mechanical discussions, as I've been a former pro auto tech, drag racer, and always fix/upgrade my own stuff.

One common thing I see across these various forums are the vocal nay-sayers. Driven by jealousy, anger, trolling, or just plain wannabes, they are always around.

If we're going to be openly candid here, I will share some observations that I've had that I consider failings of this HD forum:
  1. There should be a sticky in the "Tech & Mechanical" section that outlines all maintenance fluid capacities, torque specs, tire sizes, inflation pressures, etc...anything common to caring for your bike.
  2. Mods need to get a better handle on all the flaming that seems to happen a lot here. Bounce the idiots in short order and stomp out the bashing. Part of the forum mod responsibility is to maintain a helpful environment that attracts new users and encourages productive discussions. People seem to spend more time arguing than helping.
  3. If you want an example of the "right" way to do it, check out camaro5.com. I built a high-performance 2012 Camaro SS and was very active on that forum. There are outstanding organized how-to's throughout the forum, members always provide constructive assistance to other members, and the riff-raff are promptly banned.
  4. Make people feel like they are welcome to participate. Too often some people just lurk and read without participating. When a member is afraid of being attacked, it keeps a person that could be a really good resource for the group from speaking up.
I'm not trying to throw rocks here. Just stating my observations. Back on topic, I believe that's why the M8 forum has become such a shitshow and why it seems to scare potential M8 owners away, and make the new owners paranoid about their bikes.

The following 7 users liked this post by strych9:
bpav16 (03-22-2018), damooose (04-14-2021), Fat11Lo (03-16-2018), madmat (03-16-2018), Ron750 (03-16-2018), SoCalHDMC (03-17-2018), Steve N, (03-17-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Excellent Post! I’ve only put 7500 on mine so far, but it’s been flawless. I have absolutely no fear of riding it anywhere, or any distance, and am absolutely loving it. I think it’s the best of the 4 Harley’s I’ve owned and almost hate checking in to this section - where I hope to find ideas about things I might want to do to mine - and hearing the endless bitching and drama.

I do feel sorry for the guys that are having problems, but I think there are more problem free M8’s than not. I’ve been asking and haven’t found a single guy who has had a problem, and several of us in the local HOG Group now own these bikes.

Hopefully it’ll calm down eventually, until then I’m gonna ride mine and enjoy the hell out of it!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:23 PM
rlgood
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I've been a member at HDF for almost 6 years now. I have participated in many good discussions, shared information I have learned and bought and sold many parts through our classified section. But I am at a point where I believe there is not much good coming out of this particular section at all. Last June we bought a CVO Street Glide and I was very excited to learn about this new engine and it's possibilities. I can't read a thread in this section without seeing the same damn people posting the same damn **** in every thread. The inadequacies of the motor company, the conspiracy theories, Harley engineers don't know ****, "I'd never buy one"....... If you have read any threads about oil pumps, fluid transfer, or sumping you know what I'm talking about. What bothers me the most is most of you that drone on and on and on about this **** don't even own an M8 powered bike. SERIOUSLY we all know how you feel shut the f*#K up and move on. YOU'RE NOT HELPING AT ALL. When I have to sort through 10 tons of **** to find one ounce of good information it gets real old real fast. Some of these threads have started off great until you ******** find your way to the party and then you start piling on the same old crap you have piled on every other thread. There are many good people here trying to help and share their findings Steve, Max, Stone Cold all come to mind and I thank you for trying

So true, it's almost comical how some people bitch about these M8's, if I hated them that much I would stay away. In September of '16 I bought a new M8 Ultra and the next day my wife bought a M8 SGS. After 1,000 miles she lost a motor and after 3,0000 miles mine lost an oil pump, we've got a great dealer and both bikes were fixed quickly and have been great since. Hers has over 20,000 on it now and I traded mine in on an anniversary limited 1 month ago, mine had 25,000 on it. Got the stage 2 torque cam in the new one and love it! Just wish this Indiana weather would clear up so we can ride. We love our M8's!

SoCalHDMC (03-17-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:36 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I just purchased my bike, 2018 Heritage Anniversary in January. I had a problem the night of the bike's delivery. Whoever made the bike's wiring harness used large electrical pins on 4 of the 6 wires at the plug for the throttle body. They repaired the bike with the correct pins and a new plug for the harness and after just a few days, I retook delivery of the bike. I rode it 100 miles that night. Since then, I've ridden 1900 miles making sure that I broke the bike in properly, using enough throttle pressure to seat the rings, no oil consumption and the bike's running flawless. It has a proper stage one and the power and performance are just incredible. Coming off an 07 Street Glide that I modded pretty heavily, there's no comparison. It's certainly possible to have a periodic issue but that holds true with every model year (My 07 had items that were updated). This powertrain though, the M-8 is amazing. The nervous nellies can pass up and hold off considering what's really great to own and ride, particularly if they're ready to buy new. I'm happy I bought mine and my son just bought a 114 Fat Bob earlier this week. He's thrilled with his bike too!

SoCalHDMC (03-17-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:57 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

So, does anyone think the negative BS will stop on the M8 part of the forum? We all know who does it, will they stop?

Old 03-16-2018, 07:22 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I have to agree as well. One reason I TRIED to start a couple of threads for ppl to post facts about real warranty issues instead of the continued speculation and rock throwing. Didn't work out too well.

Well I have almost 6k on mine now and I do love it. There is possible transfer, but I dont worry about it. In fact, getting ready to go aftermarket stage 2, so I have no choice but to trust the reliability. Lol

I think you'll always have the negative crap here. All we can do is extrapolate and discern fact from fiction.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:53 PM
Newfie
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I haven't even got my 2017 Road Glide Ultra yet (still winter in Nova Scotia) but I've planned 3 big rides for this summer. First the break-in ride around the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. Second is Laconia in June & finally a 9800 mile journey from Nova Scotia to Chicago then up to Sturgis into Calgary, AB over to Seattle, WA pick up the US 101(Big Sur) to San Diego, off to Las Vegas and pick-up Route 66 back to Chicago then back to Nova Scotia.
Am I worried about the BS and the issues with the bike NO. I lived thru the AMF days, and have had a new bike every 2 to 3 yrs since. I'm now looking forward to riding my new baby with the Stage II Torque kit throughout the summer.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,355 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
So, does anyone think the negative BS will stop on the M8 part of the forum? We all know who does it, will they stop?
Not an M-8 owner, perhaps someday. It would be nice, but I've yet to find a section of the FORUM that doesn't have it's stalkers, naysayers, and Trolls.
Wish all the best.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSheff:
SoCalHDMC (03-17-2018), TomcatCV62 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:22 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Good stuff. I for one appreciate the temperature of this thread. Mine has been flawless except for a bad sending unit on the fuel gauge. Early on it wouldn't start while in gear and almost took it for warranty. A member here Mjwebb, advised me how to lube the clutch switch and I haven't had a problem since.

There are some really cool members here. I've obtained some great info, help and even had a member send me a gremlin bell from overseas.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to have an intelligent discussion about the M8?