Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 sumping issues are fake

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 AM
rdm1465
Tourer

Received 1,023 Likes on 197 Posts

I am thinking that the only people that are having issues, are those that have installed stage modifications.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Computer Sumpin'

Originally Posted by martin10
I agree. Like I said earlier. My service manager has seen none. And he is aware of the issue and the service bulletins. He just bought an M8 himself and he wouldn't have done that if it was a common issue. His trade in was a 16 so not like he needed a new bike. Not all dealers service managers are liars or full of crap. I trust mine. Too bad there are more than a few bad ones. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Ditto our local Head,Master Tech just swopped his 2016 Ultra for a 2018 M8
The ONLY place you will directly hear about sumping is from a dozen or so "Play it again Sam" Sumping Singers on this forum!
Its got so bad its stinking up my computer and I have to wipe the oil off my desk!

Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Those who have experienced sumping, and take the time to write here are doing a service to all of us who have M8s that are also susceptible to the same issue. If somewhere down the road one of us is in the same boat we'll benefit from the posts we've read here by those that had it before us. That's one of the reasons boards like this exist, and help those that frequent them.

The following users liked this post:
MTBIG G (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:35 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,404 Likes on 2,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
The ONLY place you will directly hear about sumping is from a dozen or so "Play it again Sam" Sumping Singers on this forum!
Its got so bad its stinking up my computer and I have to wipe the oil off my desk!
And in your extreme brilliance, do you think the MoCo would create a service bulletin (with an expanding list of affected engines) and send it to every dealer because of a few whiners?

Last edited by Keithhu; 07-11-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:14 PM
JameSea
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prior to leaving on a ride four days after arrival; I checked my level before leaving.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:22 PM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by 12doplumbing
Springerrider — will you give us that thread you referenced? About the mechanical genius who came up with “the only known solution” to sumping? I’ll spend hours searching for a thread, find an interesting slightly different topic, and completely forget what I was looking for - my ADD or some other positive attribute kicks in ��
I want more “Solution” threads. Understanding what and how a problem is occurring, choosing a solution and testing it makes me feel Powerful!

It wasn't the sumping I think - it was the fluid migration (I might be wrong) that it fixed. (damn, it was already answered.. oh well)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...fix-is-in.html

The sumping seems to be fixed by the S&S dual geroter pump rather than the single geroter dual pick-up pumps that HD keep twittering on with.

If I were to buy an M8 I think I'd immediately screw the warranty up and throw it in their faces and put the S&S pump in and beg what's-his-name to make a migration fixer for me.
But then, I've pretty much decided to wait at least until the 2019 models come out and see what "first adopters" report. If it's OK then I'll buy, if not then I'm walking away from HD completely. Just not worth the ****.

Sorry guys who've replied before about s/h bikes, I don't buy a motorcycle s/h, that's just buying someone else's troubles. For me, for bikes, new or not at all.

Last edited by OzHD; 07-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:30 PM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
Originally Posted by Keithhu
And in your extreme brilliance, do you think the MoCo would create a service bulletin (with an expanding list of affected engines) and send it to every dealer because of a few whiners?
I guess those "say it again, Sam" people are in the UK too - It's appearing in our forums as well, and on the Oz forums.

Last edited by OzHD; 07-11-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:28 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by 12doplumbing

What did you experience while riding that caused you to check the oil? I have about 3000 on mine and I just don’t want to pull over and check fluids every half tank... which I believe I may start doing if my ocd kicks in
According to the owners manual, Harley specifies to check the oil each time you fill the gas tank.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:34 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
A different way to look at it: sumping, when it happens, can be catastrophic. It is a serious issue. But that doesn't make it a common issue. The magnitude of the damage makes it an issue that warrants a service bulletin, whether it is affecting 0.1% or 50% of owners.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:47 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
A different way to look at it: sumping, when it happens, can be catastrophic. It is a serious issue. But that doesn't make it a common issue. The magnitude of the damage makes it an issue that warrants a service bulletin, whether it is affecting 0.1% or 50% of owners.

Maybe look technical service bulletin up before you post?

Technical Service Bulletin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techni...rvice_Bulletin

Technical Service Bulletins, or TSBs, are recommended procedures for repairing vehicles. They are a form of diagnosis. Not to be confused with recalls, a TSB is issued by a vehicle manufacturer when there are several occurrences of an unanticipated problem. TSBs can range from vehicle-specific to covering entire product lines and break down the specified repair into a step-by-step process. While sometimes written by engineers employed by OEMs, the majority are authored by the first automotive technician to come up with a repair procedure. Because certain problems may have more than one cause and there is sometimes more than one way to fix a problem, it's somewhat common for there to be more than one TSB for the same problem.

Quick Reply: M8 sumping issues are fake