Sponsored by:

Traded for 2018 RK tried to transfer security module

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 06:24 PM
btrain77
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Traded for 2018 RK tried to transfer security module

When I purchased my 2014 Street Glide I purchased a security BCM with fobs and had them install it. They used the digital Technician to perform the installation. Some time went by and when I traded the Street Glide for a 2018 Road King (great bike!) I removed the security BCM and Fobs from the Street Glide to use on the 2018 standard Road King (which is an option and the one I purchased did not have security) that I purchased. After the purchase I brought the bike in to have the security BCM and FOBs to be installed in the new bike. The dealer said the Security BCM that I purchased for the 2014 street glide was married to that bikes ecm and I could not use it on the new Road Kind. I was hoping to save the cost of another Security BCM with FOBs (359.00) when I removed it from the trade in bike. I had heard that tuners were married to ecms but not security BCMs. Has anyone ever had this situation and if so how was it resolved. Thanks for all the help. Ride safe.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:42 AM
Mel Gibson
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a start on a video to get you where you want to go

The following users liked this post:
btrain77 (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 AM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought 2 new bcms of eBay, one for a 14 flhx and a 13 Breakout that did not come with security and had the programmed to those bikes. It worked fine adding security. I lost brake lights and found that subject in HD service manual and went back and had tech enable brake lights.
Not sure if the beck is permanently mated or not or if can be reprogrammed.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:14 AM
btrain77
Intermediate

Thanks Mel and welcome to the forum. This video shows how to use the Digital Technician to program the fobs to the new BCM (Body Control Module). In my case that was done some time ago when I first bought the security kit, installed the new BCM (under left side cover) and had the Dealer program the fobs (from the kit) to it. I rode the bike around using the fobs and everything was normal. Then some time later I decided to trade the Street Glide in for a 2018 Road King (which did not have security).
Before I traded the Street Glide in I removed the security BCM and re-installed the original non-security BCM back in it. The Dealership had to use the Digital Technician to reprogram the ECM to recognize the original BCM.
I took delivery on my new Road King and drove it home. I road it around for a few days and decided to bring it back in to the Dealership and have them install the security BCM Kit that I removed from the Street Glide. They said it could not be done because the BCM gets married to the ECM and would only work on the ECM it was first programmed to. I can't disagree because I just don't know.
I am asking if anyone has removed a previously installed security system and transferred it to another bike without any issues. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:57 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

If you really want that security system pay the piper. you are attempting to bypass something that should not be bypassed.

OR
try another dealer. then another. repeat.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:24 AM
btrain77
Intermediate

I don't mind paying for another modul if that is what has to happen. To me the bike is worth the investment to keep it safe. I look forward to many years out of this bike.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:19 PM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

If you still have some paperwork from your security purchase it will probably state is for one bike use only.
like all software restrictions, someone somewhere can find a work around.
Maybe you can change bikes but to me it is not worth the trouble only to have a security system that is not working as designed.

Disclaimer: I had the security on my 2011 FLHTK and have no desire to add one to my 2018 Road King. Just not for me.

Do not give up too soon, the experts may kick in soon and tell you what buttons to push.
when weather is nice some will ignore this forum!!!

Old 09-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Kenrbass
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed a "digital dawg" aftermarket fob system on mine from summit racing. Just over 100 dollars. Cost didn't bother me, but the HUGE harley fob did. The digital dawg fob is half the size of harleys.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:56 AM
btrain77
Intermediate

Just found out the Harley Tech line says the BCM does indeed get permanently get mated to the first ECM it is programmed to. I am going to return this security kit to the Dealer so they can put it back on the bike I traded in. Thanks to all for the help.