Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch recall....now includes brake fluid flush?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:25 PM
canuck_flhtk
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
You are getting some bad information on the brake flush being part of the recall . Please read it. I have had the clutch recall done for some time now. I was having no issues before nor any after. The brakes had just been done in Oct anyway when the sidecar was mounted anyway.
You (and others) may very well be correct. On the other hand, dealer told me the clutch recall bulletin "was recently updated to include that all dot4 fluids are to be flushed". I was simply reaching out to see if others had heard anything similar. Appears no one has. Bike is stored at the dealer and be worked on soon. Will happily post service order when complete and attempt to get additional details.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck_flhtk
You (and others) may very well be correct. On the other hand, dealer told me the clutch recall bulletin "was recently updated to include that all dot4 fluids are to be flushed". I was simply reaching out to see if others had heard anything similar. Appears no one has. Bike is stored at the dealer and be worked on soon. Will happily post service order when complete and attempt to get additional details.
If the recall in question is for the 2018 H-D baggers, the recall procedure is described in Service Bulletin M1482 dated 10/27/2018 per the NHTSA website. I just downloaded it & there is no mention of brake fluid flush as part of the procedure. Maybe Canada does things differently? IDK.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Service Bulletin M1482.pdf (282.6 KB, 128 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:13 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,229 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I read that as, “all clutch systems with dot4 fluid should be flushed.” Not, “all dot4 fluids in the bike will be flushed.”

Old 03-15-2019, 04:03 PM
canuck_flhtk
Intermediate

Just left the dealer. Bike is in for clutch recall and I planned to have other things done. Told service adviser I wanted a 2 year brake fluid flush as well. She tells me that it is part of the recall. I attempt to correct her saying I know the dot4 flush is part of the clutch recall, I am referring to the brake fluid. She understands what I am saying and says that the recall now includes flushing ALL dot4 fluids. Not dumb enough to debate a free brake fluid flush but I follow the forum fairly closely and don't recall this amendment to the recall ever coming up. Has anyone heard of this?
I wanted to follow up and/or follow through on this. attached service order that includes recalls 0171 (brake fluid) and 0173 (clutch). asked the service adviser twice..."are you sure?". Not complaining and just wanted to share it.

Attached Files
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

I wanted to follow up and/or follow through on this. attached service order that includes recalls 0171 (brake fluid) and 0173 (clutch). asked the service adviser twice..."are you sure?". Not complaining and just wanted to share it.
The dealer will charge Harley for a pint of the official H-D Platinum Label brake fluid for the clutch recall. That's what you're seeing on the invoice.
Doesn't say your brakes were actually bled.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:09 PM
canuck_flhtk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YPD485
The dealer will charge Harley for a pint of the official H-D Platinum Label brake fluid for the clutch recall. That's what you're seeing on the invoice.
Doesn't say your brakes were actually bled.
attached service order that includes recalls 0171 (brake fluid) and 0173 (clutch).

Both the SA and tech looked me in the eyes and said brake flush was done as part of the clutch recall process. Note the 2 different recall #'s used on the service order; Google them. So your theory is, I asked for the two year brake fluid flush to be performed and instead of charging me, the dealer fraudulently claimed they would do it for free and actually never did it? By extension of that logic, the dealer has too much money and does not want to charge for new business. Clearly, they were lying and this is some Canadian MoCo conspiracy. thanks...I'll pass this on to Robert Mueller.

The following 2 users liked this post by canuck_flhtk:
mazz (03-16-2019), roadkinglobo (04-12-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 PM
dcfatboy
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Is Recall 0171 just for MYs 2008-2011?

Old 03-15-2019, 08:42 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

I'm not doubting your good fortune to have a free brake flush but I know in Mb I got my dealer to do the brake flush the same time as the clutch recall and it cost me $150 Canadian

Old 03-15-2019, 08:43 PM
lrcormier
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you got a free brake flush but it might backfire for the dealership because brake recall 0171 was issued 8FEB 2018 and effected abs bikes model year 2008-2011 only.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:53 PM
canuck_flhtk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dcfatboy
Is Recall 0171 just for MYs 2008-2011?
Exactly..that's why I'm baffled. The question is, did they eff up in applying this recall to a 2017? From what i am hearing is that the answer is probably yes. Had latest oil pump back plate installed and clutch springs installed as well while in storage. Attached invoice is far less than what i expected. probably should run out and buy a lottery ticket.

Attached Files

Quick Reply: Clutch recall....now includes brake fluid flush?