Old 03-24-2019, 09:18 PM
Cruizer40
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally

Originally Posted by Vipers Harley
What's the updated outcome?
Good question.
First thanks to the team at Fuel Moto for there support, tough to diagnose a problem from a couple thousand miles.

Heres the deal, FM sent a new set of lifters for me to try, I broke open the bike all the way to the cam chest to look for anything out of place and found nothing. Following the shop service manual to the tee I reassemble again for the 4th time using the new set of lifters.
At start up I had the same clacking as previous dammit all, however I bought a stethoscope and pin pointed the noise at the forward intake lifter area.
Took a couple days away and thought it thru, no since doing the same thing over just to get the same results right?
I opened the chest up again and for sheets and giggles I pressed the cam bearing in to the inboard tolerance of + .020 from nominal and reassembled the cam chest.
I then rotated the motor to the bring about the base circle of first #1 and then #2 and installed the pushrods using 4 turns.
The only difference was I put a straw in spark plug hole so I could determine true TDC in each cylinder before adjusting the pushrods.
I put in fresh oil and filter, fired her up and like music to my ears no clacking. I did 3 heat cycles then took her out for a short ride and she sounds beautiful and runs like a raped ape.
I have done this type of build twice prior along with a stage 4 on the Twin Cams and have never experienced this challenge with such a simple mod.
I know there could be some real analytical thought put into the two steps I did differently and if they actually made the difference, considering they should not have in themselves. However I will gladly take the win and enjoy the ride.
Thanks for the interest and advice from the forum, it was much appreciated.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:33 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Sounds like you need to send a check to FM.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:13 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,300 Likes on 3,656 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruizer40
Good question.
First thanks to the team at Fuel Moto for there support, tough to diagnose a problem from a couple thousand miles.

Heres the deal, FM sent a new set of lifters for me to try, I broke open the bike all the way to the cam chest to look for anything out of place and found nothing. Following the shop service manual to the tee I reassemble again for the 4th time using the new set of lifters.
At start up I had the same clacking as previous dammit all, however I bought a stethoscope and pin pointed the noise at the forward intake lifter area.
Took a couple days away and thought it thru, no since doing the same thing over just to get the same results right?
I opened the chest up again and for sheets and giggles I pressed the cam bearing in to the inboard tolerance of + .020 from nominal and reassembled the cam chest.
I then rotated the motor to the bring about the base circle of first #1 and then #2 and installed the pushrods using 4 turns.
The only difference was I put a straw in spark plug hole so I could determine true TDC in each cylinder before adjusting the pushrods.
I put in fresh oil and filter, fired her up and like music to my ears no clacking. I did 3 heat cycles then took her out for a short ride and she sounds beautiful and runs like a raped ape.
I have done this type of build twice prior along with a stage 4 on the Twin Cams and have never experienced this challenge with such a simple mod.
I know there could be some real analytical thought put into the two steps I did differently and if they actually made the difference, considering they should not have in themselves. However I will gladly take the win and enjoy the ride.
Thanks for the interest and advice from the forum, it was much appreciated.
Sometimes a lap around the bike shaking a dead chicken helps a bunch.. Chanting helps.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:50 PM
Cruizer40
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Sometimes a lap around the bike shaking a dead chicken helps a bunch.. Chanting helps.
Awsome advice Max, I'll try that from the start next time

Old 03-25-2019, 03:29 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Lol!!!

Cruizer40.... Thanks for the follow up. Happy to hear it got sorted out.
Also, big thanks to all who added the technical info. I'll be installing my cam and lifters tomorrow... this thread helps.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 AM
wheelock4
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

im not the mechanic a lot of you are but addressing the lifter noise. I have 2017 roadking with Screaming eagle stage 3. I thought I heard louded than normal lifter noise. Through out my rides I have stoped at 5 different dealers and each one says its normal. I clipped out an article on how the new motor selling point was "a quieter running motor" but they insist its normal. Runs good but very annoying to listen to.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:29 AM
D Dot
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with FuelMoto. They are out of their pushrods and are sending me Bender. I have a 2020 Street Glide Special 114 and am installing a RS468 cam. I will be doing it this week-end. They said 4 turns via phone? Sound about right? Really not looking forward to adjusting twice. You thoughts?

Old 04-14-2020, 10:49 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by D Dot
Just got off the phone with FuelMoto. They are out of their pushrods and are sending me Bender. I have a 2020 Street Glide Special 114 and am installing a RS468 cam. I will be doing it this week-end. They said 4 turns via phone? Sound about right? Really not looking forward to adjusting twice. You thoughts?
Yes, as noted 4 turns is correct.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-14-2020, 10:52 AM
D Dot
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great cannot wait to give them a try. I'll report back next week and let you know how it goes :-)