high flow exhaust vs street cannons

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

[QUOTE=QAfred;18098408]
Originally Posted by SWThomas
Do you think the cost of that exhaust system was worth the 8HP HD claims you gain? And have you had your bike on the dyno before and after to verify any gains?[/
QUOTE]

It was worth it but I don't have financial issues to be concerned about.
I want my bike to ride the best it can as I don't buy a new Harley every 2 years so if I mod something I look for the system that I think provides the most performance.
The crossover design is where you get a lot of the improvement in any performance exhaust system.... while one jug is puking out its exhaust it is also sucking out the exhaust from the other jug.

You get virtually no improved outflow with slip ons only so my thoughts were, why install slip ons and high intake air filter system only? because if it you cannot get the air out, the high flow can't suck it in. So, IMO, slip-ons, high flow intake, and pro street tuner alone (or a dyno) was wasted $$$$ (have you asked anyone for dyno numbers on the system your considering?)
Maybe MJW can get you that since he is a big fan of slip-ons only. Might have just as well stayed stock IMHO!

Also, as I stated above, the headers have the bung hole that will accept the wide band O2 sensors as I also installed the Smart Tune Pro. There is no need for me to spend money on a before and after dyno when I am riding hooked up to a tuner that controls performance at every twist of the throttle.

Its not the peak numbers anyway that counts, it is the space under the curve that really counts! I can hear it and feel it, I don't need to see it on paper for bragging rights on Harley forums.
Also, being a 40 year veteran in the Aerospace Industry I've learned to listen to engineering and not technicians who think they know how to do it better, cheaper, quicker.
great you are happy spending close to twice what i spent on my SE Stage 1 dyno tuned and getting no better results. I took the advice of the product experts, professional engine builders and dyno tuners on this board which was being better off not spending the money on that exhaust and ATM module and I too and happy with my results and saving some money, but you do sound like you’re a subject matter expert

Last edited by mjwebb; 03-11-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:45 AM
dcfatboy
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by edmroadglide
i would do the torque cam and SC with tuner and filter bigger bang for your buck, word is the OEM headers are not horrible considering what you want to do and the benefit of the high flows would be mute against the cam.
This is what I just had done. I finally ride yesterday. I love it!! Stage I felt better than stock, and Stage II better than Stage I.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:23 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I did stage 1 first, then stage 2 some time later. Difference from stage 1 to stage 2 seemed to be much more than difference from stock to stage 1. But I have no dyna data, just seat of pants.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
I did stage 1 first, then stage 2 some time later. Difference from stage 1 to stage 2 seemed to be much more than difference from stock to stage 1. But I have no dyna data, just seat of pants.
I did the same and completely agree

Old 03-12-2019, 11:23 AM
RichM752
Road Master
Received 371 Likes on 215 Posts

I had SE high flow, SE air cleaner, and pro tuner installed, when I bought the bike. I advocate for a motor to breathe, more air in, more air out. I would enjoy a little more torque, but after many bikes, including 3 drag bikes, I'm done with engine mods. I hope my choices don't disappoint anyone.

The following users liked this post:
Mathis (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

I did a small experiment last week, I had a decatted headpipe that I picked up, threw it on, stock ac, stock muffs, took it for a 45 miles ride, back roads and some hyway. Louder than with the cat, about the same pitch, no popping on decel, not that big of a difference between the cat and decatted pipe. However, there was a white ish tint at the muffs, and when I put the stock pipe back on the the inside of the decatted header was showing a really lean condition. Some will scoff at this, but, for me anytime the cat is removed it needs a tuner. I have a PV, just leary of losing the warranty after having sumping issues on an 18 trike. Maybe late this summer I’ll throw a cam, ac, mufflers and tuner on.