Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Primary oil question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 03:18 PM
masterofyard
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it did, use to be a decent forum, but lately had become a real joke when seeking help.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:20 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

The proper method to fill the primary is to remove the derby cover. We are trying to advise and help. No need to get snarky.

I’d also advise you to purchase a service manual.

The following users liked this post:
GAWoods (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 03:29 PM
masterofyard
Cruiser

I have a service manual. Not getting snarky, but when accused of doing things without the person knowing why things were done. Not right. Like stated before, thought this was a forum to help, not a forum to accuse that the person doesn't know what they are doing and not having the proper aides to do the job. I ran into a problem and asked suggestions of why? Not here to be chastised, or accused of things. Just asked for some help and suggestions on how to correct the problem.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:57 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,262 Likes on 3,547 Posts

Originally Posted by masterofyard
I have a service manual. Not getting snarky, but when accused of doing things without the person knowing why things were done. Not right. Like stated before, thought this was a forum to help, not a forum to accuse that the person doesn't know what they are doing and not having the proper aides to do the job. I ran into a problem and asked suggestions of why? Not here to be chastised, or accused of things. Just asked for some help and suggestions on how to correct the problem.
You asked about overfilling the primary, and if that could cause your derby cover to leak.

The answer to that is: no.

Next, I believe you were berated because, had you properly filled the primary per procedure, you wouldn't have needed to ask about the effects of overfilling it.

Don't take it personally; that's just how we roll.

You say you torqued the primary cover in sequence. Did you actually use a torque wrench and torqued to specification? The most common issue with primary leaks (in my personal experience) is a hairline crack somewhere.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:09 PM
masterofyard
Cruiser

Yes, cover was torqued to 60 in pounds

Old 08-09-2021, 04:13 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,262 Likes on 3,547 Posts

Yes, cover was torqued to 60 in pounds
10-4. If you're positive that the oil is leaking from the derby cover, get a new gasket for it and see what happens.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:17 PM
kculp
Cruiser

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Truce, OK? The help from Dan89FLSTC is correct, he is quoting the correct procedure. I didn't interpret his post as snarling or accusing.

You have a leak and it may be over-filled.... I don't know. Go in thru the derby cover. The derby is the only way I learned to do it and best not to improvise. You want the fluid level to touch the bottom of the clutch plate. Really, Dan is helping you... this link is for Amsoil but she explains how to do the job. I would drain it out anyway and start with new. Alternate tightening derby screws. My gasket was a paper thing from HD dealer, but seems to work fine and I've had it off and on several times.

Good luck, hope this takes care of it!

Old 08-09-2021, 04:25 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,651 Likes on 3,888 Posts

Most are terribly warped and have nicks that even OEM quality gaskets like Harley's 3 layer V gasket won't stop.

Be sure both faces are clean and deburrs. Get a piece of clean cardboard. Get a new tube of black Permatex RTV black silicon. Now film both sides of gasket. Film...

Now lay gasket on and lightly go around top bottom center out alternative left and right. Use a T handle socket socket . Remember, it a gasket crush. Just a twitch tight. Tomorrow when it's dry, check snug.

Then and only then roll the rubber band bead of rtv straight back off the split. Pour in oil and take a run and check when hot.

It won't leak then. And the RTV will peal off.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:36 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,585 Likes on 4,652 Posts

I opened the chain guide cover to refill the fluid. I don't think there is any reason to be chastise about how I filled the primary. I thought this forum was to help.
I didn`t chastise you, I just said:
Try opening up an owners manual or service manual and you will see how to properly service the primary.
But you have decided to resist doing it the correct way, and now you are pouting...

This is a technical forum, and I am not going to tell you an incorrect way to do a job just because that is what you want to hear.

It is a simple matter of adding lubricant to the primary for crying out loud......

Follow the service manual.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-09-2021 at 04:43 PM.