Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.16%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.63%
Amsoil
27.48%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6848. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Deus Ex Machina
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Motul 300V ... the french fry kind.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 AM
amsando
Stage III

Mobil 1 V Twin.... I keep hearing about how expensive it is and hard to find but I find it at AutoZone AutoParts pretty easy and the price is around $8.89 per quart.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:47 PM
johnny08
3rd Gear

Great Topic / Lot's of interesting input!!!

I've been using Castrol MC lubricants for a long time now....

in H-D machines approved for Syn 3 throughout the powertrain, I run Castrol V-TWIN SAE 20W-50 throughout....

some seasons I ride more than others, so my PM differs:
engine oil w/filter every 2500K or twice per yr
trans & primary every 5000K or every other yr

I buy online buy the case....it's cheaper
------> www.proformanceusa.com

Old 01-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Bendini
Stage IV

ORIGINAL: Cptn.Murff

Hey everyone, Great Forum! Tons of great information, lots experience and opinions…

You’ve convinced me to switch to synthetic lubricants. And wouldn’t you know it, as I searched around these small towns here up here in the southeast corner of Washington State, no one had Mobil 1 V-Twin oil or Redline shock proof heavy in stock! Then these dirty rotten little ######’s wanted an arm and a leg (too much money) to order in some.

But wait, I noticed that the local NAPA parts store had stocked AMSOIL products (because of the great number of Farmers in this area). What the heck, I thought, I might as well try this brand synthetic lubricants. I’ve read the propaganda on the AMSOIL web site before… ya know they say their synthetic oil is better than everyone else’s, and it all but makes you walk on water…. Yea, Yea, What ever…

So in following your suggestions I purchased some AMSOIL V-Twin 20W-50 motorcycle oil, as well as AMSOIL Server Gear 75W- 90 Extreme Pressure lube.

And Damm, you guys are right! These synthetic oils did just what you said they would do! Not only does my Road King Classic (engine) run quieter and cooler, but she (its transmission) shifts quieter and easier!

Three of my friends noticed the difference and now they also switched from HD Syn 3 to the AMSOIL synthetic oils. (Yes, I let them ride my bike. And No, I wouldn’t let them ride my Ol’ Lady. Even though some think it’s a trade off.)

Seriously Gentlemen, whether its AMSOIL or Mobil 1 or Redline or Royal Purple or what ever synthetic lubricants you prefer, just do it! Make the switch! For you won’t regret it.

Signed: Glad to have found this Forum and to have switched to true synthetic lubricants,

Respectfully Cptn.Murff
I'm brand new to the world of HD and need all of the advice I can get. I bought a used '02 EG Classic in Nov 07 with only 10K miles. I now want to change all of the fluids but was amiss on what to use. This forum has helped me make that decision....I'm going Mobil 1 across the board. I have yet to change any fluids and I'm still trying to find all of the drain holes, but I'm sure I will. Thanks to all of y'all for a great forum, I know I'll be back many, many more times.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM
scottylj
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What Brand Oil do you use in your bike

From my tech guys downunder we have been told it (Syn3) was made by Sunoco - we don't get the product range here in Australia but I know a little bit about the brand from viewing that Fountain of Factual Information - American Chopper!!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Potato
Intermediate

If it works I sure don't care how it's marketed. I'd buy it even if they promised it would grow hair and Michael Jackson was the spokesman.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well today I did the switch to Amsoil in all 3 holes, 20W50 in crank and primarry and sever gear 75W90 in the tranny. did a few miles after the change, bike does sound quiter, 3rd and 4th gear whine is much much less. Nuteral is easy to fine and no slipping. I likeit enough I am going to sign up as a dealer since the nearest one is 40 miles away. Had seen the comment about friction modifiers on the forum. found this on the Amsoil web site before putting it in my primmary.

"Provides Excellent Wet Clutch Performance
AMSOIL MCV contains no friction modifiers and promotes smooth shifting and positive clutch engagement. AMSOIL MCV controls heat and prevents slippage and glazing, and its high TBN resists acids that can degrade clutch material, helping improve clutch life."

Old 02-26-2008, 02:32 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What Brand Oil do you use in your bike

ORIGINAL: scottylj

From my tech guys downunder we have been told it (Syn3) was made by Sunoco - we don't the product range here in Australia but I know a little bit about the brand from viewing that Fountain of Factual Information - American Chopper!!
Harley oil is made by CITGO (the Gov. info is posted some where on the forum) and I am not going to put a dime in that little commie dictator Chavez'spocket.. no more Harley oil for me.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Fast07
Intermediate

Mobil 1 syntheticin all 3 holes. No problems or noises.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:42 PM
madmike
Intermediate

i have a question. i just bought my heritage with 8.000 miles, i had all the fluids changed, i asked the service rep what a better oil was for driving around in town stop and go. reg or syn? he said when the syn gets hot it will make more noise than the regular oil, this made sense to me since i run syn in my fairlane and have noticed about 10 psi difference in pressure than with reg castrol 20/50. maybe it is different with motorcycle oil? so i thought less oil pressure more noise and possible wear? so i went with hd 20/50figured he would know? thanks, mike

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike