Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Pan America

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 12:27 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 864 Likes on 511 Posts

I disagree as a long time H-D touring bikes owner >12 bikes so far. I'm interested in the PM for a better ride from that 7.5" suspension travel, lighter weight and better performance. I was going to trade my 2020 Limited on a 21 Streetglide for the lighter weigh. I'll get that and a lot more in the PA. My guess is there are many more like me putting in a reservation for one.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:30 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 355 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Mengy
I will admit I absolutely adore the DCT on my 2018 Goldwing, I'm not sure I'd ever buy another bike without a DCT now. I also have a friend who has an Africa Twin DCT and he feels the same, he likes it so much he likely won't ever buy a non DCT bike again either.....
My 2016 Africa Twin was DCT and overall I liked how it worked, it started off and shifted very smoothly. Even in automatic mode you can override it to temporarily up or downshift to the next gear which is nice. It works *far* better than the quick shifter on my BMW RS (which I don't even bother with). For my 2020 Africa Twin 1100 I went back to the manual box because while the DCT is surprisingly smooth at low speed, for low speed technical stuff, short U turns, etc. nothing beats being able to just crawl along by slipping the clutch. Also let's face it with these new manual transmissions gear changes are just a light snick and the slipper clutches are slick and almost effortless. While the extra 23# a DCT adds is down low it's still 23 extra pounds when you're pushing it around.
I don't think Harley will loose many sales by not offering a DCT.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:09 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

So has anyone seen a pic with a passenger on the bike yet?

Old 02-28-2021, 02:54 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,586 Likes on 9,104 Posts

Originally Posted by NODYNA
I disagree as a long time H-D touring bikes owner >12 bikes so far. I'm interested in the PM for a better ride from that 7.5" suspension travel, lighter weight and better performance. I was going to trade my 2020 Limited on a 21 Streetglide for the lighter weigh. I'll get that and a lot more in the PA. My guess is there are many more like me putting in a reservation for one.
I agree… But the problem is there aren’t that many of us left… Not enough to keep the PanAm As a viable motorcycle, unless they get the Younghans involved

Old 02-28-2021, 03:16 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 627 Likes on 285 Posts

Quick shifter, slipper clutch, ABS - they're all for beginners who don't know how to ride a bike. I find them all a PITA.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:26 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadghost
Quick shifter, slipper clutch, ABS - they're all for beginners who don't know how to ride a bike. I find them all a PITA.
Quick shifter maybe.

But as for a slipper clutch and ABS - how can you find them to be a PITA as you don't even notice them and they don't make themselves known until you need them? At that point, they potentially save your life.

Sounds a bit like those parachutes, right? They are just for beginners who don't know how to jump out of a plane properly.

The following 2 users liked this post by adm:
FatBob2018 (02-28-2021), GOV5 (03-01-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 03:27 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Roadghost
bullshit

The following 5 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
'05Train (02-28-2021), 3dognate (03-01-2021), dceggert (02-28-2021), FatBob2018 (02-28-2021), GOV5 (03-01-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 03:28 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
I agree… But the problem is there aren’t that many of us left… Not enough to keep the PanAm As a viable motorcycle, unless they get the Younghans involved
There's a few of us. I was going to buy a Road Glide this year, but the PanAm will almost certainly do everything the RG will do, but better, faster, cheaper and lighter. It's a no-brainer for me.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:01 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by adm
There's a few of us. I was going to buy a Road Glide this year, but the PanAm will almost certainly do everything the RG will do, but better, faster, cheaper and lighter. It's a no-brainer for me.
I am also seriously considering a new touring motorcycle... and I really like the PanAm as it ticks off all the boxs for me, expecially the seat height.. it would be nice to be able to go off the beaten path when I am out and about... I found my GS1150 fully capable of long distance touring... the issue for me was no cruise control (I have a chronic arm issue, and the mechanical ones just don't work the way an electronic one does), and the seat height was much to tall for me to stop in traffic when I was heavy...

Mt Rainier, on my way to California...

... heading south to Jackson Hole... that is Jackson Lake and the Tetons...

... heading up and over a 6,000 ft mountain pass on some gravel... got a flat... the Jesses make great Seats when you are doing a plug repair.

The following users liked this post:
dceggert (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 06:56 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
I am also seriously considering a new touring motorcycle... and I really like the PanAm as it ticks off all the boxs for me, expecially the seat height.. it would be nice to be able to go off the beaten path when I am out and about... I found my GS1150 fully capable of long distance touring... the issue for me was no cruise control (I have a chronic arm issue, and the mechanical ones just don't work the way an electronic one does), and the seat height was much to tall for me to stop in traffic when I was heavy...
Similar boat here. I was all ready to pick up a 20 or 21 Road Glide to replace my 16. I wasn't happy about it, as I'm not a fan of the M8, but I figured that the RDRS would help make up for that, and that I'd get the 122 kit installed from the get-go. So by the time I did bars and stuff, check out my $40,000 Road Glide.

I waited on this bike, hoping that Harley wouldn't bone it up they way they boned up the M8. They didn't (so far). And I should have nearly 3 months of riding my 16 to really gauge whether or not it stays or goes. I just can't wait to get this thing out in the boonies.

Edited to add: Harley's created a rather interesting conundrum. On this side of the showroom we have a $20,000 bike with ride modes, an adjustable suspension, and 150hp. On this side we have a $33,000 Road Glide Limited that....Well, it's a motorcycle. Going forward, Harley's going to use the RevMax in more and more things, but how are they going to justify the enormous price difference for their legacy line that doesn't have all the bells and whistles?

Last edited by '05Train; 02-28-2021 at 07:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by '05Train:
CanadianRocky (02-28-2021), hdxbones (02-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Pan America