Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Pan America

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 09:16 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Similar boat here. I was all ready to pick up a 20 or 21 Road Glide to replace my 16. I wasn't happy about it, as I'm not a fan of the M8, but I figured that the RDRS would help make up for that, and that I'd get the 122 kit installed from the get-go. So by the time I did bars and stuff, check out my $40,000 Road Glide.

I waited on this bike, hoping that Harley wouldn't bone it up they way they boned up the M8. They didn't (so far). And I should have nearly 3 months of riding my 16 to really gauge whether or not it stays or goes. I just can't wait to get this thing out in the boonies.

Edited to add: Harley's created a rather interesting conundrum. On this side of the showroom we have a $20,000 bike with ride modes, an adjustable suspension, and 150hp. On this side we have a $33,000 Road Glide Limited that....Well, it's a motorcycle. Going forward, Harley's going to use the RevMax in more and more things, but how are they going to justify the enormous price difference for their legacy line that doesn't have all the bells and whistles?
My guess is this: depending on how the PanAm does will dictate what happens elsewhere. I'm almost certain the motor (or some version) is going to make it into all the bikes eventually. While while the claims of demise of the air cooled motor has been on the horizon for what seems like forever, I feel like it's much sooner than later. Also, the touring line is almost certainly ready for a refresh sooner than later. I think we will see it similar to the softail line. If not, then yeah, the other models might be in big trouble.

Me personally: My next bike is coming up this year or next. It wasn't going to be a Harley unless the PA looked legit. It does. I will likely wait a year now and see if it's a BMW or the PA.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:41 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
..., but how are they going to justify the enormous price difference for their legacy line that doesn't have all the bells and whistles?
I don't think this will be much of a new thing. Folks have had the choice of a classy looking air-cooled touring bike or something cheaper with more horsepower and technology for a while now. I could have got a Tracer 900 GT instead of my Sport Glide as an example. Granted, the difference now is that both offerings are American made products.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:55 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
I don't think this will be much of a new thing. Folks have had the choice of a classy looking air-cooled touring bike or something cheaper with more horsepower and technology for a while now. I could have got a Tracer 900 GT instead of my Sport Glide as an example. Granted, the difference now is that both offerings are American made products.
And the same manufacturer. Harley justified the high price because it's a premium brand.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:25 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
The thing though is that the “Harley faithful’s” are a dying breed… Many of them have bought their last motorcycle, and as an almost 70-year-old “Harley faithful” I would buy a DCT in a heartbeat if they sold one... Also, the Pan Am was not designed for the “Harley faithful’s”… It was designed for a different breed of rider that Harley wants to tap into
I have a different take on who Harley aimed at for the PanAm. I think they had both the OLD BREED and the NEW customer. These old folks you mention like the idea of a lighter bike, especially if they don't have to sacrifice power to get a lighter weight. Forget the ADV concept of this bike. It doesn't matter to a lot of riders if it's ADV or not. If it's comfortable(?), with power, and doesn't weigh over 600lbs, there will be a lot of riders buying it. And they won't just be Harley customers either.

WE don't know how this bike is going to ride....YET. The Rider Position is described by Harley on their webpage as " slightly aggressive", or some words to that effect. That means you are leaning forward a little. I take that to mean that you will not be sitting up straight like we are used to with baggers and cruisers. Plus, one of the first option accessories listed is RISERS, so maybe that will solve the forward lean issue.

Folks, if this bike is comfortable, and can handle two-up comfortably too, this bike will be an INDUSTRY CHANGER. There isn't a bike made that can do what this can do for the wide range of people it will fit and accommodate. Harley may have to revise it's production product mix. I don't think the desire for the "old classics" will be as strong as everybody is saying it will be, after this bike hits the market, that is.

The following 3 users liked this post by GOV5:
'05Train (03-01-2021), FatBob2018 (03-01-2021), hdxbones (03-05-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 06:58 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

The "aggressive" posture may be the seat angle. Makes you feel like you're sliding into the tank. Always hated that about the BMW. That's an easy fix though... But from the photos, it doesn't look like that will be the case.

Make no mistake though, this bike fully loaded and with a passenger isn't going to ride like a large displacement touring bike. It will feel weak in comparison.

Properly weighted and with the right suspension (tuned for the rider or trip) will be pretty sweet though.

My guess is the suspension will be the Achilles heel on this bike initially... Either because it won't work properly, or will be made for the typical 180lb rider.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:17 AM
Dr.Midnight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,199 Likes on 7,384 Posts

Do you think Harley might be slitting their own throats? If they're making a lighter and less expensive bike that can be used to both tour and take off-road, plus it has superior performance, why would folks go back to cruisers and touring bikes? If this PA is everything I hope it is, I don't know if I would want to go back to an 800, 900, 1000 pound whale.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:52 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Midnight
Do you think Harley might be slitting their own throats? If they're making a lighter and less expensive bike that can be used to both tour and take off-road, plus it has superior performance, why would folks go back to cruisers and touring bikes? If this PA is everything I hope it is, I don't know if I would want to go back to an 800, 900, 1000 pound whale.

Now you're getting it!

That's why I called it an INDUSTRY CHANGER. That's also why I said Harley might have to re-think their production mix in the coming years. There are a lot of folks that want a lighter bike. In fact, the heavy bikes are dinosaurs, in my opinion. The only thing that's in favor with the heavy bikes is that they aren't as affected by heavy WINDS and drafts from trucks like a lighter bike suffers from.

The following users liked this post:
Dr.Midnight (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 07:54 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 497 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Midnight
No, I do not think the two strategies are working against each other. The traditional Touring bikes are road going freight trains. I had my Ultra Limited out and about yesterday (28-Feb) and while riding I was thinking to myself that there is going to be a lot more wind on the PA....lots more. With 42 F and fog I was riding in just my textile riding jacket and regular summer gloves (I did have the heated grips on). Even when I ride my BMW there is a lot more wind while riding. The PA has even less frontal coverage than that. It all comes down to how comfy you want to be on a cross country trip. Touring on the PA is going to be a little more fatiguing.

The following 3 users liked this post by dceggert:
Dr.Midnight (03-01-2021), Pugslycat01 (03-01-2021), Sol-Invictus (03-05-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 08:06 AM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 864 Likes on 511 Posts

Sure the PA will take away some sales over traditional touring bikes but a sale is a sale no matter the model. For many riders the traditional bike will remain their ride. Looking at my group of riders and passengers a lot won't fit or be able to easily mount or dismount a bike with seats as high as the PM. My fiancée is 5'2" rides her own lower Heritage but I don't see her easily getting on the back of my (when it finally arrives) PM. Not to mention being as comfortable with the smaller seat and lacking the comfort and security of the tour pak backrest arms.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:09 AM
My14Ultra
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I had been looking at big adventure bikes for the last 4 years or so BMWs, KTMs, Honda, Yamaha ... Anything that would be more comfortable for me riding on non paved roads. I was waiting to see how the PA would turn out. I talked to one of the HD Reps in Sturgis in 2019 he was setting up demo rides for the LiveWire during the Ralley. I asked him about when the PA might be out. He had a lot of good things to say about how they had brought on alot of ADV talent from the ADV community to help in the development and said some time in 2020. But with the Shutdowns and delays on its release i bit the bullet and was able to pick up a 2020 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S on a great deal in September 2020. I had rented for half a day both the KTM 1290 SA and a BMW 1250 GSA in back 2018 and 2019 just to see how i liked the bikes. Which I did--i liked them both. and had test ridden the Honda African Twin. I'm very happy with the KTM but its not a fair comparison to the performance to my 2014 Ultra. Completely different animals even though there is alot of overlap for my riding. But I really love that HD too so i have both in my garage. That being said i really want to test ride the PA when it gets to the dealers to see how it does. Looking forward to seeing one of them in person and taking a test ride. Hope its very successful for Harley.

Quick Reply: Pan America