Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Pan America

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 12:40 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I know what you're saying, but I do have to admit I am leaning towards thinking the 150hp will be enough for day 1. 150 hp in a 750-lb bike+rider is a power-to-weight ratio of 5:1. That compares to my Stage II Fat Bob at 9:1. Should be pretty darn zippy. Especially when you consider a stock Ultra+rider = about 14:1.

Actually, the Pan Am at 150 hp isn't that far off the supercharged Ninja H2 SX. When that came out I checked it out, I think it was about 175 hp in a 560-lb bike, so ... faster, yes, but not hugely different, that'd be a bike+rider ratio of about 4.3:1 vs the Pan Am's 5:1.

Harley's already stated that the Pan Am can run stable and smooth at 135 mph all day long. My Fat Bob won't even reach above 125 (or so I've been told...). The stock tires are the Michelin Scorcher Adventures, which are rated with a V speed index, which supports up to 149 mph, so... they must be serious, right?

So I'm thinking I'll leave it stock. Of course, give me a month and I'll be right there with you, scouring the net for big bore kits...

I know one thing, I'm not interested in a loud pipe for it. Just MHO, but blaring around the woods with a screaming loud fart cannon is just a really douchey kind of thing to do. For a street bike, whatever floats your boat, but if it's going in nature, I think a quieter muffler and a proper spark arrestor are the right things to do.
Yeah - the 150HP is going to be awesome out of the box. But just the ability to have hot cams and big bore kits is going to be great - and something that the BMW, KTM, Ducati ADV crowd don't have access to. The PanAm is already nicely in the middle of the pack on specs, but if we get the option to upgrade the motor, it could really blow everything else right out of the water.

But I am also leaving mine stock. At first.

Agreed on the loud exhaust. No need for it.

The following 2 users liked this post by adm:
3dognate (03-01-2021), FatBob2018 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 12:48 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I generally agree with everything you're saying, but I figure I should point out that Harley claims 122 ft/lbs for the Ultra's stock 114ci engine. Since Harley is claiming 122 ft/lbs for the 114 M8, and 94 for the Pan Am, I don't see how we can say that the Pan Am would have more than the M8.

On a per-pound basis, yes the Pan Am is going to have more ft/lbs per pound of bike+rider, so the net effect will be better roll-on performance on the Pan Am. But in pure engine twisting force terms, the M8 puts out more torque.
I stand corrected. I was thinking about my obsolete Twin Cam's numbers.

I'm impatiently waiting to see an independent dyno run of the RevMax.

I'm ordering the titanium muffler from the get-go, and making the assumption that because it's EPA and CARB-compliant, that it won't be abusively loud.

The following users liked this post:
FatBob2018 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 01:03 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
I stand corrected. I was thinking about my obsolete Twin Cam's numbers.

I'm impatiently waiting to see an independent dyno run of the RevMax.

I'm ordering the titanium muffler from the get-go, and making the assumption that because it's EPA and CARB-compliant, that it won't be abusively loud.
I’m getting the muffler for appearance and weight savings. Being it’s SE it will not be much louder than stock.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:50 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
I’m getting the muffler for appearance and weight savings. Being it’s SE it will not be much louder than stock.
I am kind of torn on it. I'd like to wait and see what the aftermarket offer, but I don't feel the same need to change as I did with my Softail or Dyna.

The titanium exhaust is listed as being 42% lighter - but I'd like to know what the weight of the original system is in the first place. How much of a weight saving is 42%?

But....I will almost certainly end up getting the SE titanium one anyway. It's more or less competitively priced with systems for the GS from Akrapovic and similar. Kind of a bummer the mid pipe isn't titanium as well.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:54 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
I am kind of torn on it. I'd like to wait and see what the aftermarket offer, but I don't feel the same need to change as I did with my Softail or Dyna.

The titanium exhaust is listed as being 42% lighter - but I'd like to know what the weight of the original system is in the first place. How much of a weight saving is 42%?

But....I will almost certainly end up getting the SE titanium one anyway. It's more or less competitively priced with systems for the GS from Akrapovic and similar. Kind of a bummer the mid pipe isn't titanium as well.
Looking at the SE pipe I would bet that it is a rebranded Akrapovic.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:16 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Now the next question is.....when will HD let the bike magazines have a road test. I'd really like to see some independant third party reviews.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:22 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Now the next question is.....when will HD let the bike magazines have a road test. I'd really like to see some independant third party reviews.
I would have bet that the road tests and comparisons would already be out now. I guess they're going to wait until closer to the launch in order to stoke orders for the release.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:22 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 355 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert
.... Even when I ride my BMW there is a lot more wind while riding. The PA has even less frontal coverage than that. It all comes down to how comfy you want to be on a cross country trip. Touring on the PA is going to be a little more fatiguing.
Perhaps. I'm not so sure though, people may be in for a surprise. For reference the most comfortable long distance touring motorcycle I ever rode was my 2014 BMW R1200GSA. More comfortable than my GL1800, EG Standard, BMW RT, and RK. The windshield was adjustable, low for smooth, clean wind or up for cold or wet conditions. The rider triangle was spot on for me with the seat in the high setting. The barely slightly forward lean at rest became perfectly neutral once over 45 mph or so and with its long travel compliant suspension bumps and pot holes didn't transmit straight up my back like when on an upright more feet forward, touring bike. About the only area I see where a Pan Am "could be lacking for some" is for those who want a *lot* of wind protection, or possibly the seat. Both should be easily and cheaply addressed by the aftermarket.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ridewva:
'05Train (03-01-2021), dceggert (03-01-2021), rhuff (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 04:24 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Just in case you didn't already know, the Owner's Manual for the PanAm is available on the HD website. There's some interesting stuff there. For example:

The battery is located at the bottom front of the bike - just behind the voltage regulator
It looks like the bike comes fitted with an SEA battery tender lead. PLUS - 2 heated gear connectors!
Security and alarm is standard. Keyless ignition with a fob.
Clutch and front brake levers appear to be adjustable for reach right out of the box.
There is a USB (Type C) power port
One single switch for both turn signals
There is an oil cooler as well as the radiator

Here's the link: PanAm Owner's Manual

The following 2 users liked this post by adm:
'05Train (03-01-2021), dceggert (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 04:41 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

On the adjustable ride height (ARH) - it looks like there isn't a pump that could fail. The system pumps up the height using the stroke of the suspension itself. That's pretty cool:

"In this configuration, the ARH system lowers the suspension of the motorcycle while stopped. Once the vehicle begins to move, the ARH system will automatically “pump up” the suspension to the correct ride height setting for optimum performance. It is an automatic lowering system that does not have the drawback of reduced travel. Used where lower seat height at a stop is desired compared to non-ARH models.
How rider will experience ARH:
  • Power on/bike at rest = ARH drops motorcycle to lowest setting. Vehicle will be in this state from previous ride.
  • Bike moving = ARH pumps up suspension to optimum ride height. Est time to ride height 10-30 sec depending on road roughness. ARH uses suspension stroke to pump preload mechanism.
  • Power off/power failure = ARH defaults to pump up state, meaning any further suspension travel will pump up suspension. Could be possible to pump up suspension to ride height while vehicle is being trailered.
Auto When Auto is selected the suspension will lower while coming to a complete stop.
Auto with Short Delay When Auto with Short Delay is selected the suspension will lower approximately 0.5 s after coming to a complete stop.
Auto with Long Delay When Auto with Long Delay is selected the suspension will lower approximately 2 s after coming to a complete stop."

The following 3 users liked this post by adm:
'05Train (03-01-2021), Rabianegra (03-04-2021), VAFish (03-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Pan America