Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

Thoughts on a replica Panhead

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
LuxHD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on a replica Panhead

I know their is no sub for the original, but I have been thowing around the idea of building on of those 48 Panhead replica bikes in the V-Twin Mfg catalog.

I have been retired due to illness and have a ton of time on my hands, I think something like this would occupy my time very well. My hope would be to sell it for a small profit.

Does anybody know of anyone that has built one of these? Would anybody buy it or is it taboo to ride a replica? Its an S&S motor, which has gained respect over the years, but I do worry about quality of the materials.

Your thoughts on it would be appreciated!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts on a replica Panhead

I really dont think you can make much money building a custom. All the parts seem very expensive and the used custom bike markets prices seem very low. What you may want to try to do is see if you can find adisasebled/rusted/rotted oldHD Panhead and try to restore it. Still, I dont know if you can make money on it.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:50 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive seen a couple nicely done,looked good parked,never rode a repop.Doing one for a profit all depends on what these parts will cost you to finish,by then you may decide to keep it.Originals arent cheap,even bikes that have survived,good original parts are usually at a premium.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:32 PM
LuxHD
Advanced

Its 16K for the complete kit, which includes every item needed and shipping. Does that change anything? I would imagine it would be cheaper then restoring one.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:12 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Read this website before you take the plunge on a V-Twin Co. kit.
I am like you, looking for a cool kit bike, not to sell, but to play with. But I'm not looking for a chopper or anything, just a mostly stock appearing bike.
http://www.roadratroberts1.bravepage...it%20Bike1.htm

Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 PM
LuxHD
Advanced

I found that web page, and it does give some info on the bike. I dont think his kit it much different then the one V-Twin offers, and its 3K more. I would prefer brushed aluminum and nickel plating over chrome as well.

I just wish I could fine someone that has put one together and get a real world, honest take on how it runs, handles, quality, likes and dislikes etc.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:24 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

lux, go to www.hydra-glide.net. Look under kit bikes, A guy there has been building up a mid 50s. He has had some interetsing problems w/ frame fitment as well as exhaust. I am not sure about the quality control on the VTwin set up. Seems to be hit-n-miss. I ordered a few things from them. Wanted 60 n earlier cups for my front end; they sent me the 60 n later and insisted they would work w/ the early fork tins...NOT.

Also ordered a part for the steering head to lock the top of it on. Inside threads were cut wrong and when I mentioned to it them they said they tried the same part as they sent me and it fit fine. Problem isI tried it on two other OEM fork stems and it did not fit any one of them either.

One last problem...my 49EL basket came with V-Twin cow bells. WhenI went to disassemble the front end (lower leg had been tweaked) the screws came out with the threads attached to it making it useless.

I am sure there are many success stories out there but if the little things falll apart i question the integrity of the bigger parts as well.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:46 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem with a replica is just that, all you have is a replica. Building a bike is costly with the cost going up continually. Add the cost of buying the bike then restoring it and you will have more in it than you can sell it for. The cost for original parts is out of sight, if you can even find them. The other thing that determines cost is whether the bike has an original HD title or just a manufactured title. The pan below (original title) I bought at a antique show here in Ohio 4 years ago. I added some things and changed some but, it is pretty much how I bought it. Unforunately I have had a knee injury that prevents me from ever kicking it again so, I have decided to sell it. You know how to get in touch if you are interested. Good luck on your decision.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
longpig
Advanced

$16K initial investment. Countless hours. and when your finished you would be lucky to get $15k. Not a good idea for profit. Where this might work is say you want a stock 1948 FL. To buy would cost $25k-$??K Although kit would still cost about $16K you build for the experience,knowledge and pride. You keep and have a stock looking 48 pan that would look as good a an original probably be more dependable. Still check on title / registration issues before you attempt to build. In Georgia It is becoming more difficult to register a kit/custombike.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Pantony
Intermediate

My 48 was original and as far as V-Twins kit it would ride pretty close to mine. If you look real close at the motor (on V-Twins kit bike, not mine) it has a Bendix carb and an auto advance timer. Never had that but it may start easyer. As far as making a few bucks after you build it, I know the answer to that for sure. You will loose your butt. #1; it's not a real Harley and doesn't have a real Harley title or serial number andit NEVER WILL! People that are looking to buy a Pan will pass yours up and buy one that needs a little TLC for the same money and have a real bike and not a kit with a title and a real serial number. #2 yes there have been fitment issues, you will be putting the bike together twice, once get everthing right, and once after you paint it. And finally; if ya got that much to spend, you have enough to get a real one.

http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermin...e.php?pos=-905

[IMG]local://upfiles/57849/1AC7BF3E652C43078692A2C303870A3C.jpg[/IMG]