Knuckle Head A place to talk about Knuckle Head motors.

Knucklehead replica mortocycle

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 06:47 AM
Wm435
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Knucklehead replica mortocycle

Hey guys I'd like to know your opinion in a knucklehead mortocyle replica? I don't want to spend 40k on a half way decent knucklehead or 60k for a good knucklehead...knucklehead replicas are selling for 27k. If I was planning to make it a daily driver don't you think a replica with new parts might hold up better? The one company making the replica is spot on with the exact details just like from the original

Old 09-28-2018, 07:10 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Your money, do what ya want. Why would you come onto an anonymous message board looking for validation for your decision?

Old 09-28-2018, 07:19 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,245 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Their kinda cool...and defiantly a better choice for a daily driver.

Don't know that I would give 27k for one...anyone who knows knucks can spot them as a fake from 10 feet away.

And keep in mind their are several different ones out there...Flathead power...S&S after they bought out FP, and taiwan tedd v-twin

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 09-28-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:03 AM
Wm435
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Their kinda c1ool...and defiantly a better choice for a daily driver.

Don't know that I would give 27k for one...anyone who knows knucks can spot them as a fake from 10 feet away.

And keep in mind their are several different ones out there...Flathead power...S&S after they bought out FP, and taiwan tedd v-twin

I want to get a knucklehead so identical to the original even the old timers get fooled....which brand you recomend?

Old 09-28-2018, 08:43 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Wm435
I want to get a knucklehead so identical to the original even the old timers get fooled....which brand you recomend?
A Harley Davidson version is the one you would need to get if thats your goal

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (10-03-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Wm435
Advanced

Originally Posted by hellonewman
A Harley Davidson version is the one you would need to get if thats your goal
I'm not a big fan spending 40k

Old 09-28-2018, 09:02 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

40 is a good price today for a real knuckhead the guy who chairs the colonial chapter of the AMCA Kenny has $65,000.00 out of pocket on a 1938 Now 38 is a one year bike but its not done yet and its still in pieces

just so you know in japan Knuckle house has no original knuckle machine under 125 thousand US dollars - they are becoming the hemi cudas of the bike world - Meacham auction sold a 1939 FL built for a Harley family member a one of a kind and it brought 279 thousand

I am doing a per war early 1941 FL for myself that falls into the first 2600 built, that had frame mistakes as it was the first year they went to 16 inch wheels and carried the 25 degree neck over from 1940 that had 18 inch wheels, and the trail was incorrect and that caused a headshake that chucked riders right off the machines, so Harley took them back and bent the frames down to achieve 28 degree neck angle to correct the issue -- the odd changes made by bending the frame, made them make in an a unintended consequence - spacers for the dash plate to speedo to gas tank location - different then all the others the fitting of the dash of any other knuckles - the odd stuff that makes some worth more then others and the speedo has no trip meter like every one - and I didn't have it when I got the bike - yea go buy one of those it has to come off one of the 2600 - and I did --- mine was also a special order color in cruiser green - think 1954 chevy two tone green the lighter of the two it was also a 2 year only color - but this special order left throttle - right hand shift 45 is about as close to the color as I have

Last edited by johnjzjz; 09-28-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:14 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Wm435
I'm not a big fan spending 40k
Whenever I buy something whether its a car, a gun or a bike I consider resale value. Buying a clone of anything is a losing proposition that always gets asked that same old question....is it real? That happens in a parking lot, at a gas station, a bike meet and when you decide to cut your losses and sell the turd. The end result? Egg on your face not to mention being a poser the entire time by trying to trick the experts. In the end the joke is on you.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,934 Likes on 2,569 Posts

The problem with the clone Knuck is the resale for sure, it will never hold it's value. Not only is it a clone of a Knucklehead, but a clone of a Harley Davidson. The title will not say HD without some questionable DMV conversations. So that goes back to resale. The next issue is if you do go thru the trouble to make it a dead ringer, many parts of it will be just as antiquated and maybe unreliable as the real thing. So as far as a daily rider, what have you really accomplished? You still will be a kick only, mechanical drum brake antique. OK maybe the motor internals are improved and better, but many of the frailties of an old bike will carry over.

All of that said, I want one too. But the prices have gotten crazy, therefore I am in the hunt for a Big Twin Flathead, preferably 1946 if I can find the right one. Though cheaper, they are rarer then Knucks and therefore hard to find. And round and round we go. Good luck.

(And if anyone has a lead on a BT Flathead............. you know where to find me)

Old 10-01-2018, 05:12 PM
Wm435
Advanced

Originally Posted by Architect
The problem with the clone Knuck is the resale for sure, it will never hold it's value. Not only is it a clone of a Knucklehead, but a clone of a Harley Davidson. The title will not say HD without some questionable DMV conversations. So that goes back to resale. The next issue is if you do go thru the trouble to make it a dead ringer, many parts of it will be just as antiquated and maybe unreliable as the real thing. So as far as a daily rider, what have you really accomplished? You still will be a kick only, mechanical drum brake antique. OK maybe the motor internals are improved and better, but many of the frailties of an old bike will carry over.

All of that said, I want one too. But the prices have gotten crazy, therefore I am in the hunt for a Big Twin Flathead, preferably 1946 if I can find the right one. Though cheaper, they are rarer then Knucks and therefore hard to find. And round and round we go. Good luck.

(And if anyone has a lead on a BT Flathead............. you know where to find me)
I wonder why flatheads are cheaper.....how do you know flatheads are tougher? If they are tougher than a knucklehead I'm all for a flathead

Quick Reply: Knucklehead replica mortocycle