Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Sunscreen and Denim Finish

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Fire87
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunscreen and Denim Finish

First, My name is Kyle, and this is my first real post and would like to introduce myself. I would also like to thank everyone for the information they provide here, as I do most everything to my bike on my own because of your help.

I have a black denim street glide and recently got back from a trip, and when I woke up the next morning to clean it, I noticed white discoloration on my bag lids, and a spot on my tank. I found that it was from the sunscreen on my hands where I touched the lids combined with baking in the sun. We came home through Nebraska/Iowa in 99 degree weather and hurricane like south winds. I am probably a dummy for not knowing this would happen. Cleaning my bike alone did not work. Has anybody had experience with this? If so, what was your solution? I keep telling myself that the trip alone was worth it, but its an awful eyesore. Thank you in advance for your time!

Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Matt_
Novice

I would try PPG DX330, which is wax and grease remover. I believe that it is harmless to the paint, as it is used in the auto body industry to prep finishes for paint and clear.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:58 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Whatever you try, just try it on the paint in an inconspicuous area (like the bottom of the saddlebag). Also, you don't want to rub in the same place too long with this paint - buffing causes paint to get shiny.

The following users liked this post:
CptRayT (07-25-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Fire87
2nd Gear

Thank you both for your input! Much appreciated. I will definitely try that.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts

I use the spray on sunscreen for trips. It costs a lot more but I don't have the greasy hands getting grease all over the bike.

Northern Cowboy (06-14-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 PM
electra_boogaloo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

hi Kyle. welcome to the forums. i used to have a sportser 883 iron with the denim finish. i would wash the bike down as normal, but if the denim parts were looking extra greasy i would take windex (make sure it's with ammonia) and clean it up. in fact, most of the time i skipped a good bath for a wipe down with windex. it worked great until i started camping and the denim paint wore through to bare metal in one trip. very disappointed. hopefully you can get your ride looking clean and pretty again soon.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:19 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by electra_boogaloo
hi Kyle. welcome to the forums. i used to have a sportser 883 iron with the denim finish. i would wash the bike down as normal, but if the denim parts were looking extra greasy i would take windex (make sure it's with ammonia) and clean it up. in fact, most of the time i skipped a good bath for a wipe down with windex. it worked great until i started camping and the denim paint wore through to bare metal in one trip. very disappointed. hopefully you can get your ride looking clean and pretty again soon.
Ammonia causes plastic to become brittle and crack. Ammonia-free windex is preferred. Windshields are especially susceptible to cracking with ammonia.

electra_boogaloo (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:48 PM
electra_boogaloo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Ammonia causes plastic to become brittle and crack. Ammonia-free windex is preferred. Windshields are especially susceptible to cracking with ammonia.
good looking out. i only used it on the tank and fenders. not as much plastic on a sporster. ammonia windex might not play well with the lids either.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a 2010 X denim black..used windex no amonia and the harley denim cleaner.. if it was dirty.. I would spray it with distilled water and wipe it down... for bugs hot water... so for sun screen.. 1st I would try hot water...then some soapy hot water, distilled water, windex, and harley denim cleaner.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 PM
CptRayT
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea that denim paint will soak up stuff like sun screen and never ever wax it. Try the windex and use a soft brush like a tooth brush as to get it out of the pours of the paint. If that don't work, perhaps denatured alcohol (Gently and lightly and not for an extended time) And the advise about an area you cannot see first is great advise. I have used paint reducer lightly before, but that was on a clear coat finish and would be completely terrified to try it on the denim. Also, you can check your local auto paint supply store, they may have some good product and even better advise.