Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Corrosion on 09 Sportster Iron - Matt Black

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 AM
magnethead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corrosion on 09 Sportster Iron - Matt Black

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if I could get your opinion on some of these corrosion points. I'm Irish so I live in an environment where it's wet and cold most of the time, That's why we live in the pub drinking all the time and only get around to maintaining the bike every couple of years ;p

I have some problems with peeling/rusting on my bike in four areas. This is only a 09 and it was in an underground garage for 2 years, really onnly been out in the weather for the last year with a cover!

1.Frame (heavy plastic like paint - Gloss black)
2. wheel gaurds (Matt Black - egg shell clearcoat)
3. Powder coat on Engine (Black with white fungus)
4. Chrome parts (Small orange rust spots developing)

1. Frame

2. Wheel Gaurds

3. Powder coat on Engine

4. Chrome parts

Any Advice on what I can do to repair these areas would be greatly appriciated. I have ordered a touch up kit from colorrite.com that will hopefully take care of the wheel gaurds.
It says it is "denim black" with the clear coat lacquer, but I didn't ever like the touch up kits I got here for my car, never seemed to match too well, and I have large areas that look like the need to be filled in once the paint bubbles are removed.

I'm interested what can be done for the heavy frame paint? when chunks are coming off at the forks, I guess this would be common with road grit hitting it?

and off course, the rust spots on the chrome, once these are polished off, should I apply a lacquer to the chrome? would it stick well?

Thanks again
Nathan

Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master

Damn that bike is in rough shape.......as far as the chrome goes get some steel wool to get the rust off of it........when all the chrome is rust free rub some chrome polish on it to seal everything up......thats all the advice I have.....good luck man

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

if i was you i would strip and blast it all then powder it... when you have your bike down there put a cover over it and some basic charchole on the seat on a paper plate, that will absorb alot of the moisture and help save the metal on the bike

Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
magnethead
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give that a go with the Chrome

I don't want to strip everything a start from scratch because I think that's overkill even though it's a bit rough about the edges ;p

Is there anything I can do with that heavy plastic(gloss) frame paint, can that be touch up at all??

Thanks
Nathan

Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Wydir
Cruiser

To me it looks like the bike has been left outside for a long time.

That is not white mold but oxidation from the aluminum (Rust) the only way to fix this all correctly is to strip it all down and start over. the rust goes much farther than where you can see it. rust will creep under paint kind of like veins going much further away from the edge than you might think. You will have to blast the rust off completely or it will be back to haunt you.

as for the chrome its chrome not 304 stainless steel. Chrome is just a plating on mild steel and anywhere the plating has been chipped will expose the mild steel and will rust

This is a very neglected bike and will take a lot of TLC to bring it back to original condition. good winter project.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
magnethead
Intermediate

Thanks Wydir, you're right, It's been neglected, I'm pure lazy

Unforuntunately, I just found out that the Touch up kit for this bike was pulled out of the onboard luggage from my mates bag, by US customs, so it won't be getting those touch up's soon.

Honestly the Bike was bought March 2009, It faired well in underground parking for two years.

What you see if 1 year of Irish Weather!! It's a wet, cold country, rust loves this place!!!