Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 02:18 AM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hard shifting

I've been looking through the forum and haven't found what I want to know yet. I did see a couple things metioned but I've tried these.
The deal is my 98 Ultra Glide is all of a sudden starting to shift hard into 3>4>5. It down shifts no problem and going from 1>2>3 is no problem either. I adjusted my clutch cable because it was a little loose and checked fluids and everything is fine. I haven't adjusted the clutch yet but will do that next. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Old 09-15-2005, 11:52 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Hard shifting

WEll first thing you need to do is a correct clutch adjustment then go from there. How does the fluid look?? I like to use Bel Ray 80-140 as I have had great luck with it and it ALWAYS inmproves the shifting quality. Keep me posted

Old 09-15-2005, 12:37 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you might want to check is the forward control bushing... When I bought my bike the guy had got it back from the dealer a few months prior with a shifting problem into 3rd, 4th and 5th. The dealer put a new clutch cable on and adjusted the clutch and declared it was fixed. I wasn't satisfied with the shifting and when I took the shifter mechanism off it was not getting grease to the inside bushing and had worn down the bronze bushing. I bought one close to the size from MSC, machined it to the right size, pressed it in and greased it up real good. Now it shifts beautifully... I saw the previous owner a few weeks ago at a restaurant and he asked if I had any shifting problems and when I told him what I found he got pissed (at the dealer) and wanted to know if I had taken any photos so he could try to get some of his $$$.$$ back from the dealer.... too bad I didn't....

Old 09-15-2005, 04:47 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

My tranny fluid is in good shape. I use the HD brand Semi-Synthetic. The level is good and it looks and smells as clean as the day I put it in.
I will take a look at the forward control bushing.