Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Inner Primary bearing issue ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:32 PM
DMetcalf
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Inner Primary bearing issue ?

I think I have an inner primary bearing problem. When I start the bike I hear a different sound coming out of the primary case then when I pull in the clutch and drop it in gear it goes away. How hard is it to change out this bearing if you all agree this is more than likely my issue..?
Thanks

Old 09-10-2015, 02:59 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by DMetcalf
I think I have an inner primary bearing problem. When I start the bike I hear a different sound coming out of the primary case then when I pull in the clutch and drop it in gear it goes away. How hard is it to change out this bearing if you all agree this is more than likely my issue..?Thanks
Get the service manual for your bike and study. The work is not hard but dirty and time consuming but you will save yourself a wad of $$ by taking on the task by yourself. The bearing can be removed by taking a Dremel tool and cutting a notch in the bearing race being careful not to go too deep and cut the main shaft. Insert a chisel into the notch, bump it with a hammer and the race will break; very brittle. You can install the bearing with some PVC pieces and the main shaft nut. You can purchase an installer from various online sources or go caveman per the photos. Start with a piece of Sch 40 PVC 1.25" long as far as you can go with the main shaft nut and then replace it with a piece 1.75" long. Photos attached to illustrate.

Or you can spring for the R/R tool from various suppliers.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=harley+bearing+tool

Attached Thumbnails Inner Primary bearing issue ?-ipb-install.1.jpg   Inner Primary bearing issue ?-ipb-install.2.jpg   Inner Primary bearing issue ?-ipbraceremoval-1.jpg  

Last edited by djl; 09-11-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:28 PM
DMetcalf
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks DJL for the helpful information..!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:52 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Get the service manual for your bike and study. The work is not hard but dirty and time consuming but you will save yourself a wad of $$ by taking on the task by yourself. The bearing can be removed by taking a Dremel tool and cutting a notch in the bearing being careful not to go too deep and cut the main shaft. Insert a chisel into the notch, bump it with a hammer and the race will break; very brittle. You can install the bearing with some PVC pieces and the main shaft nut. You can purchase an installer from various online sources or go caveman per the photos. Start with a piece of Sch 40 PVC 1.25" long as far as you can go with the main shaft nut and then replace it with a piece 1.75" long. Photos attached to illustrate.

Or you can spring for the R/R tool from various suppliers.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=harley+bearing+tool
I think you mean the race and not the bearing for cutting with a dremel. The inner primary bearing is pressed into the inner primary and comes off with the inner primary when you pull the inner primary. You would then need to press it out and press a new one back in. The race is a different story. That can be cut off with a dremel or pulled with the proper race removal tool. To the OP, are you still running the stock comp that came in the 08? That might be what you are experiencing as well. If you are still running the stock chain tensioner, that could've ratcheted the chain too tight and caused the IPB to fail.

Last edited by dawg; 09-10-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:38 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Old 09-11-2015, 03:46 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I think you mean the race and not the bearing for cutting with a dremel.
You are correct, my mind sometimes works faster than I can type and I drop a word here and there. I dropped the word "race" but have corrected my post. Have replaced a few without the special tool and always replace the bearing with OEM piece. I use the S&S race but it is not available for the '07 and later models.

I don't disagree that the problem might lie elsewhere but the OPs statement "When I start the bike I hear a different sound coming out of the primary case then when I pull in the clutch and drop it in gear it goes away" points directly to the IPB or the race.

As you know, sometimes the race has walked in enough that there is insufficient space for the puller tool to fit and the Dremel comes into play.