Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission jumped out of third gear, WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:26 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Transmission jumped out of third gear, WTF!

I have a 2014 Dyna Low Rider with less than 8,000 miles on it. I don't run the **** out of this bike all the time, but I do like to make a hard run with it from time to time.

The last time I had rode it, I made a couple hard (wide open throttle) passes, and it did not want to shift into third gear. It would seem like the trans. shifted but then hit the rev limiter because it wasn't in gear.

Since I haven't adjusted the clutch since the 1000 mile service, I assumed it might be a clutch adjustment issue. I performed a clutch adjustment this evening. Took it out and road it a little to warm it up, then made a hard run. Shifted through all the gears great, so I'm smiling thinking issue solved. I turn around and started to make a hard run coming back the other direction, shift into third, goes into gear, starts pulling, then the transmission jumps out of gear and the motor hits the rev limiter.

I made two more hard passes after that and it didn't do it again. I stopped at that point, because I didn't want to just keep running the hell out of it. Pretty frustrating though to have a transmission with less than 8000 miles on it jumping out of gear. The motor is stock, just has Bassani Road Rage 2 into 1 exhaust, S&S high flow air breather, and PC-V tuner.

I'm thinking about taking it back to the dealer, but I'm not sure what they'll have to say about it. I'm worried they may deem it a non-issue being it only does it under wide open throttle, but it's a huge issue to me. Or, they might take it out and run it hard one time, then if it doesn't do it call me telling me there's nothing wrong with it. You can probably tell I don't trust Harley service departments and that's for good reason, but the bike is under warranty. Just looking for advise or opinions.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:43 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,814 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Well don't tell them it's only doing it at WOT!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:54 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

The dog teeth on the 3rd counter are probably rounded and won't stay engaged under load.

The following 2 users liked this post by corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com:
fastjoe (06-14-2016), Yankee Dog (06-16-2022)
Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,534 Likes on 4,632 Posts

You have a bike that is under warranty.

It has a shifting problem at full throttle.

Take it back to the dealer, and tell them exactly that.

The drivetrain was designed to accelerate the bike at full throttle.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:35 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
The dog teeth on the 3rd counter are probably rounded and won't stay engaged under load.
Thanks. I guess I will have to get it in to the dealer.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:16 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

At first I had to agree with old enough. But in the end, Dan is right its under warranty. Take it to them and let them fix it!!!!swifty

Old 06-10-2022, 08:32 PM
Johnnybee
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came from Minnesota . Intended a 10000 mile ride.
Got to Billings mt oil all over front of small plastic trailer I’m pulling .
Get it fixed by some small shop, and off to Tacoma. Oil leak just as bad by the time I got there.
Went right to Harley Davidson and told my history . I said it really needed to be looked at closely and that the whole thing should be rebuilt.
They get done with it and now it jumps out of 3rd gear. They tell me clutch . I put in Screaming eagle clutch. Still jumping out of 3rd. Must be a fuel pump .
I shook my head but they insisted that was what it had to be, all along ,I’m telling them transmission. Of course it wasn’t fuel pump, it was jumping out of gear.
They continue to insist it’s not the transmission they just did. I continue my trip to SanDiego and it’s acting up again. My intention was to hit SanDiego, Texas pan handle, Florida keys, Smokey mts, Upper peninsula, home Minnesota.
I was so disgusted ,I rode all the way back to Destination in Washington to make them fix it .
After staying two weeks longer than i panned at a friends expense they had the guts to tell me they needed another 1700 dollars because now my gears were shot. I said no and after some discussion it was going to be repaired again by them ,but I was told they thought they needed 150 bucks in the end. I was too wore out and to afraid of jail to say no. I paid it.
I took that bike out and hammered it It held, the way it should have when I went to the dealer for the second repair so it was right.