Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Rekluse on bigger motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:07 PM
hwnwhaler
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rekluse on bigger motor

I have an S&S 124LC that is finishing up the break in process and the stock clutch slips bad from 3K RPM on up when I get on it harder. I like to consider myself a smooth but fast rider and try to be easy on my equipment. Going to have to upgrade the clutch and like the idea of an Auto.

Has anyone run of these behind a larger motor? Reliability? Any slipping?

Mahalo for any advise!!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:54 PM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Rekluse torq drive clutch, handles the bigger power. Talk to cycle solutions on the auto clutch I'm not sure which Rekluse Chris Widell runs on his 124" but he has one.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:45 PM
hwnwhaler
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply Milty. Have lots of friends who run them on dirt bikes and swear by them. Just a little worried on use behind my 124. This bike is a commuter and I do get stuck in traffic sometimes so figure if I'm upgrading might as well get the added benefit of the auto takeoff.
I've definitely done my research but seems most have them behind motors a little closer to stock than this one. Mahalo!

Old 04-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Subscribed! I just installed a 124LC as well. I use the Harley Screaming Eagle VPC with my stock clutch and there is no slipping at all, but since I live in the city, I'd like to try the Rekluse EXP 3.0 on mine as well. Spoke to a Rekluse Rep and he said that they can handle the power and that I can still use my VPC with it as well. Very interested to hear more from those who may have tried it.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:07 PM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Rekluse EXP 3.0 is in on my 14 Streetglide. I used the Harley SE AIM VPC instead of the supplied hold down ring. I also opted for the suggested SE Spring. Pull is harder, but requires just a slight pull of the clutch to change gears. This clutch feels awesome and makes clutchless upshifting and downshifting a breeze! So far two thumbs up!

Last edited by Vision; 06-13-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:31 PM
Bryant Bowman
Stage II
Default My experience with the Rek

[QUOTE=hwnwhaler;15339251]I have an S&S 124LC that is finishing up the break in process and the stock clutch slips bad from 3K RPM on up when I get on it harder. I like to consider myself a smooth but fast rider and try to be easy on my equipment. Going to have to upgrade the clutch and like the idea of an Auto.

I know this is an older discussion, but I thought I'd add my experience for future readers. My experience is with 128" build on a 2018 SGcvo. The engine made +139hp & +140tq.
The pro's were that I had no slippage anywhere during the rpm range during dyno testing or real world riding. You could feel from the first time you let the clutch out, a firmer connection from engine to tire. The lever pull was virtually unchanged from stock.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:14 AM
Bryant Bowman
Stage II
Default My experience with the Rek

[QUOTE=hwnwhaler;15339251]I have an S&S 124LC that is finishing up the break in process and the stock clutch slips bad from 3K RPM on up when I get on it harder. I like to consider myself a smooth but fast rider and try to be easy on my equipment. Going to have to upgrade the clutch and like the idea of an Auto.

I know this is an older discussion, but I thought I'd add my experience for future readers. My experience is with a 128" build on a 2018 SGcvo. The engine made +139hp & +140tq.
The pro's were that I had no slippage anywhere during the rpm range during dyno testing, or real world riding. You could feel from the first time you let the clutch out, a firmer connection from engine to tire. The lever pull was virtually unchanged from stock. There was only one con that I experienced. On rapid large rpm compression down shifts, the clutch had a momentarily shudder sound. I talked to the Recluse technical department about this and he was very informative in explaining their clutch operations. He did mention that the noise wasn't anything to worry about,, as it was just the moving plates matching each others speed.. Initally I was using Amsoil 20-50 oil in the primary, but had swapped to Mobil 1 in my own experiments in trying to solve the clutch chater. They sent two quarts of their own special oil to try on their dime but I never got a chance to try them to see if the condition improved; I hit a damn deer and totaled the bike! Overall I don't know if this was an isolated case, inherent on the design, or would be reduced/stopped with Recluse oil. I feel it is a good product and would buy again; the tech department is wonderful. I learned to release the clutch slower on compression braking and got used to a slight chirp sudder sound if I forgot to do so.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:50 AM
hwnwhaler
6th Gear

Thank you for the reply's! It has been a long while and I never did go with the Rekluse - but with these last comments and that I am still struggling with more or less a stock clutch with add on's I might be going that route before the end of the year.

Bryant - I hope you are OK from hitting that deer. I am glad you are still here to relay it and build another ride.

Mahalo all!