Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Hydraulic clutch hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 04:42 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hydraulic clutch hard shifting

This is a duplicate post of one I left in the softail section, but I thought this might be a better place for info. I have a 2004 Heritage Classic FI. It came from the dealer with a hydraulic clutch. It seems hard to shift from first to second and second to third, with a loud clunk. Shifting from third to fourth and fourth to fifth is easier and less noisy. During one of my first service visits the dealer bled the clutch line and it may have gotten a little better, but is still basically doing the same thing. In reading some of the other posts on clutch issues, I also realized I have a few other symptoms that might help in a diagnosis. I have trouble sometimes finding neutral and when I start the bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled, it jumps forward a little. Is this normal for a hydraulic clutch? Anyone have this problem and know what causes it? Is there a clutch adjustment on a hydraulic clutch? Thanks

Old 10-07-2005, 12:39 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Hydraulic clutch hard shifting

I know this sounds silly but I had to re bleed on several times I even used a mighty vac and still ended up doing it the old fashion way. Some time there is a little bubble that moved back and forth and can be hard to get out. But also make sure you have the clutch packed adjusted properly as well.