Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Aftermarket 6 speed transmission (Baker, Ultima, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 10:44 AM
Scullyfatboy
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket 6 speed transmission (Baker, Ultima, etc.)

Hi all,
I just picked up a project bike in pieces that has a RHD 6 speed transmission. It has a barbed fitting at the top of the left side, right behind the shifter arm. What is this for? Is it a breather? can't find any info anywhere. Was going to call manufacturer but think it is some Korean brand and people here are probably more knowledgeable anyway.
Thanks

Old 02-28-2024, 10:55 AM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,227 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Scullyfatboy
Hi all,
I just picked up a project bike in pieces that has a RHD 6 speed transmission. It has a barbed fitting at the top of the left side, right behind the shifter arm. What is this for? Is it a breather? can't find any info anywhere. Was going to call manufacturer but think it is some Korean brand and people here are probably more knowledgeable anyway.
Thanks
It’s a breather
Ultima is very very good products. People really put them down and most of the negative reviews and issues are from early production parts, not current.
I’ve blue printed and assembled several engines now both Shovel and EVO. One a few years back with basic port work, and a good D carb made more than the advertised power with drag pipes. My personal 127 I put together has not been ported, running a bored out G, have not Dyno’d it yet but I’m positive I’ll get the advertised numbers.
I’m running the 6 speed, zero issues at first and then I got some false neutrals between gears.. simple adjustment and it’s good. It shifts smoothly and feels good. Running chain and 47T rear gear, I can easily lift the front wheel in the first three gears.

Don’t be so hard on Ultima it’s a very good value. They are American made no matter what others say. They do farm out some parts here and there, but by and large it’s every bit as American made as S&S. I actually prefer their crank and Rods to S&S. If you cherry pick all the manufacturers for their best value and performance blend Ultima is right there with the best. I like S&S Rockers, lifter, pushrods.. but prefer Ultima cases, cranks, rods and Heads..

Last edited by Rains2much; 02-28-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:05 AM
Scullyfatboy
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for quick response,
I don't believe my transmission is a Ultima. I can't find any numbers or markings on it, but it looks like a typical Ultima or Baker. That why I assumed it was an overseas reproduction product. I have used Ultima products before and have had no issues. Thanks for the clarification on the fitting.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:40 AM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,389 Likes on 2,654 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Virginia..................

Old 02-28-2024, 12:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,555 Likes on 3,804 Posts

Welcome Pascal.

Hope you continue to enjoy your ride here with us on the HDFORUM.

Only as a suggestion, but very important, create a signature line similar to mine on your bike with the year, model, and all the letters Harley assigned to the bike. It will appear at the bottom of your post.

You can also add a favorite picture to the signature line.

Doing this will be helpful if you ask a question or to someone asking a question. All Harleys aren't the same with many changes and variations over the years.

You can also add a favorite picture for an Aviator postage stamp you see at the top left of your post.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:12 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,251 Likes on 6,010 Posts

Welcome from Spartan Country, Michigan!
I tell a lot of new comers to the forum to get: Factory Service manual and the Parts manual. Take to an office supply store and have them put a spiral binder in place of the glued binder. That will let the manuals lay flat on your bench. Get a three ring binder and record all your maintenance, repairs, accessories, etc. This will be a great reminder of what was done when. And great material to pass along to the new owner should you sell and upgrade. Also know how large your fuel tank is, a rough idea of your range per tank, and record your fuel usage. I have an app called Simply Auto that I record all my fuel used. I use the odometer and use the fuel gage as reference only. I reset the odometer to zero on fill ups, and I know I can safely get 200 miles on a tank on around town riding, and upwards of 230+ on trips.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:05 PM
imoo6170
HDF Community Team
Received 814 Likes on 792 Posts

Welcome from Sydney Australia

Old 02-28-2024, 01:09 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,085 Likes on 6,238 Posts

Welcome to the forum from New York.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:54 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,555 Likes on 3,804 Posts

Add a hose with a 180 molded bend. You may need a couple 90 degree bath fittings.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-28-2024 at 01:56 PM.