Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

It's the oil seal!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:09 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It's the oil seal!

After quite a bit of time trying to figure out why my starter jackshaft didn't push out smoothly and then retract, I backtracked and thought about what had changed.

the entire jackshaft assembly on my bike is the same as before I ran into these binding woes.

I originally had a jackshaft bolt come loose. I had the wrong outer primary (bushing size unmatched to jackshaft) and took apart my entire primary...thought my clutch bearing was bad...replaced that...etc etc

when I finally got everything back together the starter just would not throw out most of the time. It would click then bind. I thought of all the possibilities...replaced the bolt and thrust / lock washers...

still sticking. thought it was the big coupling in the primary...checked bushing for burrs...nope.

SO...I took everything but the shaft extension off.

the shaft extension is sticking at the oil seal! And it is not because of alignment!

I have James double-lipped oil seals and they are simply too tight for the jackshaft to slide in and out. I have one that isn't installed, so I took the shaft extension and slid the oil seal over it and it actually requires force! Not an immense amount, but way more than it should.

I am no expert, but simple mechanical knowledge tells me that the thrust force of the starter shaft isn't that powerful. Its job is to simply engage the pinion gear with the ring gear quickly and smoothly.

THAT is my problem!

I previously had the stock harley single-lipped seal in there and never had this problem. Not once did I have the starter stick or not retract.

SO...do I put a single-lipped seal in there, hit the seal lips with a bit of abrasives, or lightly hit the shaft extension?

sanding the shaft extension seems like a bad idea
abrasives on the current double-lipped seal does too
replace the oil seal with the stock-style single lip?

Old 05-30-2010, 08:56 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

bump

100% certain that the jackshaft oil seal is causing the assembly to stick. Starter itself pushes and retracts as it should, but when I slide the jackshaft through that oil seal and snug things down, no matter how loose or tight, it sticks

I took another James oil seal and slid the starter extension shaft through it and it really takes a bit of force!

these oil seals are the issue it seems

someone please give me some input here

Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a thought Did you put the jackshaft coupling in the right way counterbore facing out What year is this bike ?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
bump
100% certain that the jackshaft oil seal is causing the assembly to stick.
Buy the HD seal and try it.

I would not turn down the shaft.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

yes, the jackshaft coupling is right. The shorter depth recess is attached to the jackshaft and the longer is attached to the starter shaft. The coupling isn't hitting the seal

I oiled the seal up real good and hit the jackshaft with real fine abrasive just in case there were burrs and it seems ok for now. I had no interest in pulling the primary yet again. I let everything cure overnight and will be putting fluid in today. we'll see.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:14 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would polish the coupling. And then lube it up real good.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
I would polish the coupling. And then lube it up real good.
The big one you mean? If you mean the small one...why?

either way I am/was 100% certain it was the jackshaft oil seal being too tight.

I think I worked out a solution for now. Next time I'm in there I'll try another type of seal and / or test another jackshaft assembly

everything's buttoned up. not saying anything else for fear of jinxation

Old 08-12-2011, 05:09 PM
CafeSportyTC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im reviving this thread from the dead it seems. I have heard of this a couple times. which way was the seal installed? you say you had a jack shaft and a seal laying around to test off the bike and it takes an extreme amount of force? Whats the o.d. of the sealing surface area on the shaft? the first sealing lip of seal 12066-A (the one in question) is .555, the secondary sealing lip is .530 now the seal should always be installed (for this seals application) with the recess towards the innards of the primary. are the sealing lips, and shaft lightly oiled before installation?(note: just saw that the seal was oiled) if not they should. was the seal driven in nice and flat (i know you said it has) if not this can also cuase bind. I want to understand this fully... help me out here

Trevor