Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

key west

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 08:23 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts
Default key west

we are headed out next week any cool places to visit while in the area?

Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

If you look down the list a bit you might find what you're asking for.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

thanks!

Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts

There was a strip bar on isla Morada. But we went by on a Sunday. So closed of course.

Southernmost point is cool but looking at a map - it isn't. But it's cool to roll up and get the photo.

There is a tshirt stop there and lots of lunch type spots. I don't drink and ride even though beer is delicious so if you don't mind a beer and a cruise there would be many.

The seven mile bridge was great but I am a bridge guy. Dunno why I just like riding across em. (Odd I know).

We hit rain so I'd suggest raingear. You get a good rain -- the drainage in the keys sucks. So the roads flood a bit. It was fun to ride through.

Uh there is the Hemingway museum as well. Didn't go but a great place to try "death in the afternoon". It's a drink - absinthe and champagne. Sounds like a doozy.

Have a good one.

H

Old 05-16-2017, 10:39 AM
stuckinnj
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're staying in Key West, I found it to be more of a walking town - at least the bars and tourist sites. Just listen to a couple of Jimmy Buffett songs before you go and visit the places he sings about. Once you leave the mainland, the road down through the Keys has many interesting bars and lunch/dinner stops. It is worth the trip. Just keep expectations low if you are looking at cruising Key West on the bike. Don't miss the sunsets. They are spectacular.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:33 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

The ride to Key West is the riding part. Agree its more of a walking around town and really makes it more fun too. When I was in the USAF drove to Key West from Homestead one Friday night after work...think I set out about Midnight. The views from Card Sound bridge at that time were insane!! Stars, meteor showers, the ocean... Was quite the experience doing the ride there at that time very awesome! Didn't know it at the time but it was a bucket list night for sure. Must do it in the daytime also because the sights and colors are great.

Would love to head back down there again

Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I highly recommend taking the boat ride to the Dry Tortugas. It's a National Park of an old fort from the Civil war.
The best part about it is,,,,,,it's paradise. The water and the views are pretty sweet. You can even make arrangements to camp out there. It's on my bucket list. The problem is I gotta take the truck for all the gear. Have fun.

Last edited by CR3999; 05-20-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Lots of good stops on the way down, it's a walking town for sure. Go down on Tuesday and leave no later than Friday morning. Place is packed thru the week. Weekend would be unbearable for me.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:10 PM
JJP9398
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Capt. Tony's, Sloppy Joe's, Irish Kevin's,The Original Margaritaville, The sunset festival at Malory Square. Oh and the have a Harley dealer down there on Duvall St. just motor clothes.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I have done in the past and NEVER speed in the keys many , many drop downs in speed:
If starting from Miami Airport you can stay on the 836 west/Dolphin which becomes the turnpike as you head west and eventually turns south..two choices #1 (faster) continue going south on turnpike until it ends at US1 at the start of keys or #2 (slower & about 40 minutes more/ for daylight only) get off at Kendall Drive (88 street) and go west to (997) krome south (this is a farming area) to the end were it will merge with US1 at the very beginning of keys. It will spit you out very close to the last chance saloon ”biker bar” and card sound road entrance. *Miami Dade County is toll by plate(bill you later) once on the turnpike. Broward is cash..
Consider using the Free Google Earth download on your computer to see a real satellite image of the route and to "virtually" drive the area/route.
Then :
Two more choices at the start of Keys and both spit you out at the same spot: #1 Turn left onto Card Sound Road(much less traffic, more scenic and relaxing but about 20 minutes longer) or #2 Just stay on US1 (US1 has been greatly improved and now has divided barriers) but it is a high speed race and the passing lanes can get hairy at rush hours.
Places:
Alabama Jack's, Card Sound Rd., On card sound road just before/right next to toll $1 ?(Toll is old school dude in a box )…Alabama Jacks is Place to snack and have a beer. This is the only place to eat/drink on card sound road. mangrove/water in back.
Key Largo : east side of road.. The African Queen ”bogart movie little boat ” - is on view at the Holiday Inn Key Largo Marina..”FREE” it is dry docked and the termites have done a number on it…(P.O.S) can see it(shrug shoulders) and leave with-out getting off bike…on west side of road: A local bar “kinda dumpy”, the Caribbean Club-(i do not think it ever closes) good view from the back and was supposedly used for Bogart movie…Maybe get a beer in a bottle and enjoy view of the water in back.
World Wide Sportsman, Islamorada MM # 82 - ultimate tackle store (now part of the Bass Pro Shop chain) but store has some fake replica history that includes Zane Grey and Papa Hemingway. Good place to eat next door on water at isla morada fish company….use bathrooms at the Big World Wide Sports store next door..(back right corner) by the aquarium…store is kinda cool and has nice free view of water...worth the stop for bathrooms and a break even if you do not eat next door.
Islamorada MM#79 :Cool place.. Hand feed tarpons at Robbies..really easy to miss...just past bridge..west side of road.. I think it is $3 for bucket of fish and $1 dollar per person? nice 15-20 minute stop and they have cold glass bottle cokes to cool down.http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm
Island Fish company MM #54 is a nice place on the water to eat,drink or snack.
Seven Mile Bridge MM# 47: used in several movies. Notice old bridge on west side.
Many people cross it and are in such a relaxed state that they miss "seeing it"
No Name Pub MM# 31---NOT on the water but you WILL see the famous and protected wild Key Deer. The bar is different with a ton of dollar bills stapled to walls, roof etc...pizza, wings, beer type of place...very hidden.
KEY DEER BLVD/CR-940 stay straight on WILDER RD./ AVENUE A to dead end (1.2 miles)Turn LEFT onto POINCIANA RD/POINCIANNA RD. (0.1miles) then Turn RIGHT onto AVENUE B. (0.2 miles)AVENUE B becomes FL-4A/WATSON BLVD. go over bridge (0.8 miles)…bar on left.
key west: Mallory Square,Hemingway House
Best fish sandwich : BO's fishwagon (not on the water), fresh everyday, on caroline and William..dump at corner of intersection..park bikes a few feet away(meter)..do internet search
http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/bos-fish-wagon.html.
Definitely get your picture taken at the Southernmost Point., Consider a sunset sail cruise and/or a Bi-plane ride(cool).
Schooner Wharf Bar Key West on William Street- on the water (food in a basket).
The parking meter maids do not play..make sure to pay for parking in Key West (meter/public/whatever).

Quick Reply: key west