Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:23 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Michigan

I am leaving Northwest Iowa middle of July and heading through Wisconsin and up into Michigan. Could anyone name some must see sites through Wisconsin and up into Michigan. Roads also included in this. Thinking of going up north of Green Bay and hitting Lake Superior. I would like to go east more and see Mackinaw Bridge, but will not have enough time. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:00 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

doc's HD in bonduel, wi. hwy 29 about 20 miles west of the city of green bay. he has a free car and motorcycle museum, free zoo and a pretty good restraunt. hwy 55 is just to the west of doc's and it goes through the menominee county/reservation is really nice, it's very curvy.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:39 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Starting at the Mississippi River there are some pretty great roads you could take off of Hwy 9 out of Iowa. Cross over at Lansing, which is a nice stop. On the Wisconsin side head south on 35 to Ferryville and the Wooden Nickel Saloon is a very popular spot that has food. Continue south a bit and pick up 171 East, which is probably my favorite road in Wisconsin. Run that west to Gays Mills and hang a left (north) on 131 and run that up to Cty F over to Hwy 33 and take that north through Wildcat Mountain, another great road. Then Cty P to Cty W into Mill Bluff State Park. From there get to Hwy 21, to Hwy 22, to Hwy 54 to Shiocton. River Rail bar is pretty good. Take 187 north to Shawano and then as Bagga said, take Hwy 55, another great road. By this point you've seen some of the best riding in Wisconsin except for the 21/22/54 stretch which is more for expediency through the flat, marshy part of the state.

Beyond that and into Michigan I mostly know off-road stuff, but I'm sure others can give you good routes. I would go to Copper Harbor.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 530 Likes on 291 Posts

Keweenaw Peninsula area sights...Porcupine Mtn (Lake of the Clouds), Houghton/Hancock, Calumet, Copper Harbor, Lac Labelle, Gay and Lake Linden. You can search each for attractions, but must see would be Lake of the Clouds. Also check out Shute's Bar on 6th in Calumet, beautiful bar back. Central U.P. in the Marqutte area is M-35 from Negaunee to Gwinn/Little Lake area and Cty 550 from Marquette to Big Bay. Stop at the Wooden Nickel Bar on Presque Isle, very unique stop. Then farther East on M-28 to Munising, H-58 along Pictured Rocks National Shoreline to Grand Marias. Miner's Castle and Falls are a must see. If you have time I would suggesting taking the Cruise out of Munising to see the shoreline fron the water, its breathe taking if the sun is right. Farther East is the Tahquamenon Falls, second largests Falls East of Mississippi River. Continuing East on M-123 follow Curley Lewis Shoreline toward Brimley and on to Sault Ste. Marie, home of the Sault Locks. Lastly is the Mackinac Bridge 50+ miles South of SSM in the town of St. Ignace.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Every 2 Lane, in Wisconsin, is nice but I agree Hwy 55 north of Highway 29 is one of the nicest. Take 55 North to 8 East to 101 North to Hwy 2 East. Nice twisty, deserted and scenic, nicely paved.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:20 PM
skurtenb
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me know when you get closer to your ride date and I can provide you with some great route info. The suggestions made earlier are good ones and I can help with some outstanding routes in central and northern wi.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:32 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Lude-a-tick
in the Marqutte area is M-35 from Negaunee to Gwinn/Little Lake area and Cty 550 from Marquette to Big Bay. Stop at the Wooden Nickel Bar on Presque Isle, very unique stop. Then farther East on M-28 to Munising, H-58 along Pictured Rocks National Shoreline to Grand Marias. Miner's Castle and Falls are a must see. If you have time I would suggesting taking the Cruise out of Munising to see the shoreline fron the water, its breathe taking if the sun is right. Farther East is the Tahquamenon Falls, second largests Falls East of Mississippi River. Continuing East on M-123 follow Curley Lewis Shoreline toward Brimley and on to Sault Ste. Marie, home of the Sault Locks. Lastly is the Mackinac Bridge 50+ miles South of SSM in the town of St. Ignace.
M-35 is fun twisty and winding through some pretty country side. Feels like a slice of Colorado without the elevation. Did the rest and then some also as part of my trip last year. Lots to see, not a lot of traffic...until maybe Traverse City MI. I went counter clockwise around Lake Michigan from IL.

I rode North western IL to Grand Haven MI to Petoskey MI, to Sault Ste Marie MI to Marquette MI (2 days) to Manitowoc WI then back home. Really nice. Got to see White Fish Point! Near the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:31 AM
Seafus
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nevada nailed it. Virocqua, Westby, Cashton, over to Wildcat Mountain is some great riding. Can't go wrong with the Driftless Area. If you are coming North of GB, you'll definitely want to take M35 once you hit Gladstone. Straight and boring for about 40 miles to Gwinn, but Gwinn to Marquette/Negaunee is great. Depending on time, head West to Copper Harbor or East to Munising/Grand Marais. About 100 miles either way. H58 from Munising to Grand Marais is one of the best rides in the area. You'll only be about 100 miles from the Mack bridge at that point.
You could also cross the bridge and head South to Muskegon Mi and take the Ferry back across L. Michigan to Milwaukee and head home that way.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:20 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Seafus
Nevada nailed it. Virocqua, Westby, Cashton, over to Wildcat Mountain is some great riding. Can't go wrong with the Driftless Area. If you are coming North of GB, you'll definitely want to take M35 once you hit Gladstone. Straight and boring for about 40 miles to Gwinn, but Gwinn to Marquette/Negaunee is great. Depending on time, head West to Copper Harbor or East to Munising/Grand Marais. About 100 miles either way. H58 from Munising to Grand Marais is one of the best rides in the area. You'll only be about 100 miles from the Mack bridge at that point.
You could also cross the bridge and head South to Muskegon Mi and take the Ferry back across L. Michigan to Milwaukee and head home that way.
That would be an epic trip. I've done most of it, but never in one trip.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 530 Likes on 291 Posts

I agree, I've done the U.P., but outside of the Tomahawk/Rhinelander area I'm a rookie in WI. Sure I've rode through going East and West, but I'm sure the gems you've listed I've gone right by.

Quick Reply: Michigan