Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Luggage options for a 2016 Softail deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Bukkers
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Luggage options for a 2016 Softail deluxe

Hi, I’ve purchased a 2016 Softail deluxe and wanted some advice on luggage options. I will be doing a few trips a year, no more than a week at a time and solo only (some clothes, laptop etc for work) so I do not want to mount permanent bags etc. I’ve been looking at some Viking throw over bags or as an alternative a luggage bag for the luggage rest (but think I’d also need to purchase a sissy bar for any luggage bag) interested in viewpoints regarding throw over bs detachable bags vs luggage rack bags. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:15 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Just a recommendation would be a detachable luggage rack (double or solo) that will accommodate the mounting of some type of luggage.

My wife had a '99 Heritage Softail and we purchased the H-D leather matching (silver studded) Tour Pack and I mounted it on a solo luggage that also serves as a rider back rest.
She used and liked it so much that I transferred it over to her new '08 Heritage which she still rides.
Quick "on and off" allows you to take your luggage into a motel room for both easy access and security of your gear.
Not cheap, but it looks good and with care will last you a lifetime.

The following users liked this post:
Bukkers (03-05-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:07 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Looking toward the future, I see. Good idea!

Old 03-06-2019, 12:39 PM
wiltat2
Tourer

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you think they already have a design for 3016?

Old 03-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Bukkers
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, noticed my fat fingers made a typo but was too late to edit.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My opinion on buying a cheap set of bags is not the answer. You need to make sure any luggage system is waterproof because you may end up riding in the rain, they may tell you something is waterproof but I would research what you wanna buy with real customers before buying them. I have no experience for the bags you are asking about. Having something lockable is always a plus as it will keep an honest man honest, you mentioned carrying a laptop. You ensure this is not taken you may have to have this thing on your hip everywhere you go. The removable tourpack mentioned above it a great way to go as you will probably find it better for packing stuff than two smaller saddlebags, plus it will be waterproof and lockable. When I had my touring bikes my friends would always want me to store their leathers or their girls purse when stopping for a short period. I have a streetglide now and I went with a backrest and large luggage rack and purchased the premium touring bag for my longer trips. This has worked out very well for me, it has held up very well and the rain cover doesn't come apart like I see so many aftermarket rain covers for these soft luggage bags. My trip to Alaska I also purchased a dry bag from Firstgear and used some rok straps to hold it down over my touring bag. I hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Bukkers (03-06-2019)