Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Satellite Trackiong

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Satellite Trackiong

I bought a Spot Gen3 Satellite tracker to allow my family to keep track of me on my next road trip. Has anyone used the Spot Gen3 tracker, and was it easy to stop the tracking service at the end of a year? I don't want my CC to be charged like Sirius/XM wants to do year after year.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
I bought a Spot Gen3 Satellite tracker to allow my family to keep track of me on my next road trip. Has anyone used the Spot Gen3 tracker, and was it easy to stop the tracking service at the end of a year? I don't want my CC to be charged like Sirius/XM wants to do year after year.
No help on the real question. But for the Sirius/XM CC issue, pay with a prepaid crefit card, or have them remove your CC number from your account. I have not had any issues with those methods.

I use prepaid CC for most internet transactions.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:48 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 697 Likes on 359 Posts

No clue on that tracker but, I have an app on my phone for this purpose. It's called Life360 and it's one of those where, everyone in your circle can see you and you can see their locations too. I know this is not what you asked about, just throwing it out there.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 665 Posts

I do a lot of solo rides, and my favorite kind of roads are two lanes in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage, so my wife got me a SPOT tracker a couple years ago. Adds a little peace of mind to both of us to know we can keep in touch, and could be vital in an emergency. Came very close to needing the "SOS" feature last year, could have been a lifesaver had things gone just a little different.
They will sign you up for automatic renewals, but it's not a big deal to cancel it. I just renewed mine, mostly because I know there will be no cell coverage of some of the places I ride. But, for a lot of people, a cell phone app would cover pretty much everywhere they go.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:50 AM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

I have been using Life 360 for years...works excellent.

Ken

Old 02-20-2019, 08:27 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

I know a lot of hikers and remote area boaters, paddle craft, use this. If you still have questions, you might look on some of those forums? Boater talk. Paddling.com. I don't remember the hiking sites....

Old 02-21-2019, 02:49 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Nope, never used one. I feel your need to let your loved ones to know where you are. I have an iPhone and i set "always share my position" to ON whith all my loved ones. They know where i am at all times. when signal is lost the tracker says for example "Last location: washington road wallmart, atlanta 15 minuts ago" and it allows people to punch that perfect location on their phone gps app in order to come and get you. It's a really cool feature that iCloud has. I checked and google allows you to do the very same thing. You could give it a try and see if it works well for you and your loved ones. Works great, and the thing i love the most is that is free (LOL)

How to share your location with google:

Guide

How to share your location with iCloud:

Guide

Old 02-21-2019, 06:39 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by y22c
I have been using Life 360 for years...works excellent.

Ken
Don't think it works unless you have cell phone coverage. In the Yukon territories, you might have a problem.

And therein lies the problem

Old 02-21-2019, 02:19 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

Not directly answering your question either but if you have an iPhone you can use find a friend free on it

Old 02-24-2019, 11:59 AM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

I have the Spot, haven't set it up yet, but I do a lot of solo backroads in the middle of nowhere rides and I would like my wife to know that I am still up on two wheels..we talk at the end of the day when I am out riding usually.

Quick Reply: Satellite Trackiong