Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florida's Forgotten Coast

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Florida's Forgotten Coast

Plan on riding down to the Forgotten Coast of FL in Nov.
Doing hwy 98 (mostly) from Panama City to St. Marks. I hope the area hasn't been devastated by storms. Anyone know about the Apalachicola area to St. Marks?
I like quieter less traveled spots now and being from FL orginally, I like old FL over touristy FL.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:19 AM
rountree
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Florida's Forgotten Coast

Glad to hear you're making the trip again Dragonnester. My sister has a house at St. George and she hasn't said anything about bad roads. She's going down next week so I'll try and get an update for you. As for storms; we haven't had any this year; heck we haven't even had any rain here in South Georgia in recent memory.

The construction I warned you about last year is still in progress below Cordele on 75 but traffic is moving better than last year.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:38 AM
DragonNester
Tourer

Thanks Ken...I appreciate any info on the area especially hwy 98 condition and if the coastal hangouts are there or gone. There were a couple of open air bars in St. Marks, that served really good smoked fish. I had heard they were destroyed by storm surge of one of the hurricanes...but could have been built back by now. I prefer atmosphere at beach bars over more formal places that look at you funny when you come in wearing leather duds (usually get a better grouper sandwich at one also).

If your sis doesn't know or can't find out, not to worry, searching out places will just be part of the trip.

Robin

Old 10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
icope
4th Gear

I lived down there 2 yrs ago. Great area. I know around st. marks it was not damaged. Just west of st. mark their is a couple of bars on 98. I lived about 10 mins north of that area in Crawfordville.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:24 AM
rountree
Cruiser

Sis said 98 was in good shape. One of my favorite eating joints was Angelo's in Panacea at the bay, but I think it is still down. I think most others are up and running.

Best fish I've had lately was the grilled rainbow trout at Mount Mitchell. Haven't had rainbow in a long time and that was great. Had it again at Dillboro Steak and Seafood but it wasn't even close to Mount Mitchell.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:39 PM
ironhorse
Road Master

That sounds like a trip i would love to take.

Iron horse

Old 10-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Barebackjack
Road Captain

Road 98 from Panama City to St Marks and then on to Perry heading to Ormand Beach back in March for Bike Week. There was still some minor damage and a few places closed but still plenty of places to eat and drink. That was the first time I had taken thatb route in 20 years and forgot how much I enjoyed riding it

Old 11-05-2006, 09:27 AM
DragonNester
Tourer

We're headed out in Monday morning (11/06/06)...temps in the upper 30s...at least we'll be going south. There will be three of us, one Harley, one Victory, and one BMW. I told my beemer bud he could go on ahead, but wait for us at the next appropriate exit. I also asked him to ride tight with us in congested areas beause loud pipes do save lives. We are going to lay over an extra night to deep sea fish out of Panama City. Then continue eastwardly along the coast...eating as much fresh sea food as possible along the way. Probably will have high colesterol levels and gout when I return!!

I'm packed and ready...mother ocean is calling!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 AM
DragonNester
Tourer

Back in home now. We had a good trip, but no fishing. It turns out the boats only run from Thursday - Sunday this time of year. Got to Panama City on Tuesday. Could have done better planning. Oh well, the main thing was to run the Emerald and Forgotten coasts of FL...mission accomplished. I forgot how enjoyable hwy 98 is especially from the saddle of my scooter. Got a little rain on the way down and it was chilly. Riding the coast itself was great...sunny and mild. The Gulf was calm and the grouper was delicious. It took a total of four days and 1200 miles. Probably the last trip of the year. If you've never done it, put it on your list...if you're looking for a road less traveled, but scenic...Florida style.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5209/4987A8DAB4C54ECAB8620D50B2E44760.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5209/A7005B827BEE4D79B432598CB61CD082.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Caston
Advanced

Wow, I never read this before. I could have gotten back to you sooner concidering I live in Crawfordville. The only place that was destroyed by the storms in St Markswas Posey's. They will not be reopened. Riverside and the Cantina are both open and doing good. All roads in this area are in pretty good shape, so there is no problem with that.
As far as restraunts go, there is a new one in Panacea call Hook Wreck Harry's that is really good. They have steamed osyters with shrimp, crab meat, and cheese on them....AWSOME!!
Anyway, sorry I never read this before, hope you had a great time here.

Caston