Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road Trip 101: Simple Packing List?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the good suggestions on here. ++1 on maps. If its not all pre-planned it's much easier to plan the next days ride with maps. One other tip that doesn't seem like it would make a big difference, but it does, its better when packing clothes to roll them up. Takes up less space.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Camping or hoteling

Are you going to stay in a hotel every night like civilized people, or are you going to rough it in a campground at night? That would help people.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM
NoDeal
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your necessities will depend on the nature of your trip. Hotel vs camping? Social events at night, or just hitting whatever bar/restaurant you come across?

My trips tend to be longer in saddle time and I do both types of sleeping arrangement. No matter what arrangement my wife and I bring the following:
1. Rain gear.
2. Night and day glasses.
3. Helmet.
4. Jeans on our bodies, one extra pair in case caught in rain.
5. Underwear for each day (+1 on taking old you throw away after wearing).
6. Socks on feet +2 pair. Wet socks suck.
7. At least one long sleeve shirt even if weather "expected" to be warm.
8. Sunscreen
9. Cash (many small town restaurants and gas stations don't take credit cards).
10. Minimal travel bathroom supplies (shampoo, toothpaste, tbrush, contact solution).
11. Small pack baby wipes. Great for quick hand cleaning or face if been sweating on hot rude.
12. Wife always brings walking shoes, I never do. Depends on boot comfort and need for fashion I suppose.
13. Ear plugs
14. Pop/water/something to drink while riding.
15. Suckers, jerky or other road snacks in vest pocket
16. Key chain flashlight. Best amazon buy ever, found pack of 15 for about $10, they are about the size of a nickel and can be put in bags, pocket, etc with no space cost. Seem to use them at some time every trip, usually b/c I just dropped something at midnight.
17. Map or gps. I trust maps, gps sucks in the mountains.

Im sure there's more, sometimes there's less. It's a pretty individualized decision. No matter what, if you are traveling through multiple states and/or countries in a skirt amount of time, advise your credit card company in advance. They will suspend your card upon suspicious spending trends.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NoDeal
11. Small pack baby wipes. Great for quick hand cleaning or face if been sweating on hot rude.
I accidently left those off my list, It's great to use them if ya go potty during the day....A clean rosie is a happy rosie!

Add another item ... immodium AD just in case....

Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Lots of good suggestions but there are a couple I haven't seen yet that are must haves on long trips on a SG.

1 Soft lowers that attach to the front highway bar. Helps keep feet and legs dry in the rain and warm in the cold. Snap on and off and take up little room.

2 Compression shorts worn under jeans. Keeps your butt dry and comfortable when putting in long hours in the saddle.

3 Anti-monkeybutt powder. Don't laugh, that's the brand name and its good stuff. Makes for a long trip if you get a chapped behind on day 2 of a 5 day trip.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,519 Likes on 1,617 Posts

On a motorcycle two of the main issues is staying warm and dry.
If you're cold and wet on a trip you may never forget the trip but you won't have a very good time.

I'd recommend a pair of the wind protectors that mount on the engine/crash bar. (Harley dealers will have them).
Besides your leather(s)... NEVER, EVER leave home without your leathers!
I "highly" recommend a pair of gloves that offer (rain mittens--usually in the cuff of the golves). Our trip to Alaska had my two buddies frantically searching for these or trying to dry their gloves nightly.

An extra key (bike and house) stashed deeply in your luggage may be beneficial. (I came home from a trip, no house key and my wife, of course was not home!).

A trip intenerary for your family, and I will be home by THIS DATE is a good idea. We leave on even for the girl who babysits our cats!

I've used the "old throwaway socks, t's and underware) trick for years and it works better (and cheaper) than mailing excess/dirty clothes home.

Just remember, it's a bike trip. Not a fashion/shopping show.

Have fun and be safe.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Droop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep that in mind about mailing or UPSing home items.

You should belong to some motor club like HOG and carry the roadside assistance card. I use AAA RV plus. It covers all my vehicles! The few tools you should have are zip ties and duct tape.

The only rain gear I pack are gaiters to cover the boots. Every thing alse will dry out or be thrown out. (Note previous posts on worn out clothes to wear) Boots never seem to dry out. Thought I read on this site once that stuffing wet boots with newspapers overnight will dry 'em out.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Good raingear is a must. Either that or let the weather dictate your travels. I prefer to ride instead. Of course when and where should be considered. Remember riding in the rain can be chilly so be prepared. Also make sure your baggage is waterproof as well...might need to have a rain cover for it. We usually pack about 3 days worth of clothing and utilize a laundry along the way if needed. We also pack our stuff in some of those 'space bags' They are airtight and waterproof and help with packing stuff. I'm talking about the kind you do not need a vacuum for. So we fill the bags, squeeze them down and seal them then stuff them into our T bags. 'Chocko's makes some good, cheap rain boots, and the HD 'Overpass II' rain gear got us through a full day of riding in a near monsoon downpour in the mountains of Virginia and NC. Make sure your gloves are waterproof because working the controls can be a b!tch otherwise. We stayed dry as powder. A helmet with a face shield does make a diff, even if you have a windshield on your bike. Pack the raingear so you can 'quick grab' it when needed, and practice riding with it on as well as getting it on. There is an art to doing it on the roadside....lol....and its a totally different feel to wearing it while riding.

As to the rest of your packing, you are going to find out you can do with much less for a few days. Also consider the way you load the bike-balance your load. Do a test fit/run with your bike totally loaded down and you wearing your 'trip' riding outfit. This way you can make sure your stuff is packed down, tight and balanced. You can also figure out how and where to adjust your shocks for the additional weight. It do make a diff.

Ride safe and have fun!

Last edited by glideridemike; 04-30-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 AM
IBGary
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Camping or motels?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I never have the room for packing additional gear like sleeping bags and/or tents, so camping, for me, is not a real option. I plan ahead, use HD's rideplanner in conjunction with Google Earth to locate cheap places to stay overnight. By checking prices and feedback on a place I have had great luck.

Plus I am too freakin old to be sleepin on the ground. Not sure I could get up in the morning and be worth a ****.....lol