Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road Trip 101: Simple Packing List?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip 101: Simple Packing List?

Hi Everybody.

I am new to touring. Have done a few overnight trips, but nothing far from home for any length.

Have a 5 day trip coming up with my local HOG chapter...a first ever for me. Will take out my new Street Glide, which is just getting modifications to prepare. I have ordered the HD Touring Luggage Set (large bag and day bag), have sissy seat, have luggage rack....

ok...so...will be leaving Canada to go to the US.

Need passport...

So for the folks that tour a lot, you have learned to simplify to bring the must haves...and leave enough space to bring home some shopping stuff that may have been purchased.

What is a simply packing list - for Ladies?

Much appreciated!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I go heavy on the expensive gear that I need to stay warm and dry if the weather turns bad. Leather, rain gear, etc.

That uses most of the space I have available on the bike. If you are travelling in a group, tools and spare parts are probably not a priority for you. For me it is, I always travel solo. My tools and spare parts take up most of the room that is left in my saddle bags after the leather and rain gear.

My T-bag has the personal stuff. I like to pack as light as possible as far as cheap clothes go. It's easier for me to buy a new shirt or pair of jeans along the way if I need them than to overpack.

Even if you don't have everything you wish you had brought along, if you stay warm and dry you are far better off and have a much better chance of having a great trip.

Good luck. Try not to overthink the packing list.

Dennis

Last edited by rochkes; 04-27-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Go to your local sporting goods store and buy some compression bags. Put in clothes you don't care about getting wrinkled. Squash em down to about half size. Also get one that fits your sleeping bag, squash it down as well. Those things save a lot of space.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:18 PM
harleydavidone
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My harley chick & I take a 2 week trip every summer on our bikes, she is awsome at packing. We will pack 3 days of cloths plus the set we start out with & find a laundry the 4th night. We roll a days supply up tight & stuff them into ziploc bags, which saves a bunch of space. She even goes a far as planning & marking with a sharpie what day she will wear which baggie of cloths, because of course the undies have to match the socks which have to match the shirt which have to match the bra ect, ect.... But anyway we take our riding boots & either sandels or flip flops, chaps, leather gloves & one mid weather jacket, rain gear (Frog Toggs), one heavy sweat shirt, a long sleeve shirt & she may throw in a "nice" shirt for when she wants to dress up a bit, but thats about it for cloths. Both of our bikes are newer & well maintained so we do not carry any spare parts, and never have needed anything for them that we could not find a dealer to get on the road. She has a small travel kit we put the esentials in. Really thats about it, we normally do 3000-3600 miles a trip..

Old 04-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

I am going to make a list of all the suggestions. They are really good. Thank you very much

Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Dailydriver06
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont waste room with t-shirts and stuff like that...Buy cheap stuff on the road. I carry stuff that will keep me warm and dry. A map is a great idea also. Keep cash in two different spots in case you lose your wallet or purse. Cell phone charger...you can use a car charger in your SG. Extra set of glasses (Sun, prescription or clear) Those things always seem to get lost or broken. Make sure that someone knows your route, call them at various legs of the trip. (If Alone) Don't forget the camera...To show everyone at home how much fun you had...Be safe.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM
jaysledge
Tourer

Just remember to keep your rain gear on top & wear your leathers.
The wife labels the zip loc bags for each day for her stuff so that leaves me room for a set of comfortable shoes for walking around, two shirts and two pairs of pants, 3pr socks and chonies for the week, I find a laundromat during the trip.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
FLHTK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife and I tour alot, normally 10-20 days per trip. Items that are essential to us:

Flashlight
Maps
GPS
Sunglasses/ Prescription glasses
Rainsuit
Jacket (textile/armored,zip in thermal liner)
Draggin jeans
Leather gloves
Pants (to wear off bike)
Long sleeve shirt
3 Tshirts
3pr. socks
3pr. underwear
Swimsuit
Camera and charger
Cell phone and charger
Passport
Credit card
Any prescription meds
Toilettries
Small tool kit
Small amount of cash (use ATM when needed)

That's about it. All packs in side cases, tourpak and softpak on rack.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What month is your trip?
5 day trip is an "extended distance" trip, not a long trip as many people have done. I guest you have to be back home on the fifth day.
As many people have mentioned, rain suit, full face helmet, and warm clothes are almost the must bring stuffs, but it depends on when, where that the route is planned.
have fun!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jackhis
What month is your trip?
Month of May. So, will likely have much mixed weather....warm and dry I think is going to be the call here!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Trip 101: Simple Packing List?