Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

eastern Washington

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 AM
cobby
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eastern Washington

We will be coming from Port Townsend over the North Cascades hiway to Winthrop or there abouts, stay the night and then work our way towards SE Idaho. I've done it before in a cage, but we don't want to ride I-90. Choices are limited to cross Idaho. Never been north of Omak, thought about swinging north and crossing at Sandpoint. Probably will save that for another ride. Have rode US 12, but heading towards Pullman south of I-90 would be new country for us. And then we thought of keeping south through Oregon to Hell's Canyon and cross over to Cambridge, ID. But we might have to keep it simple as we will be on the end of a two weeker. I guess what I'm asking is, we will be making another stop before crossing Idaho, I like back roads and little bodunk towns with BFB, (beer, food, and a bed). Any place special and or special roads as we work home? Just looking for info on E. Washington or NE Oregon. I savvy Idaho and SW Montana. Thanks

Old 07-31-2012, 04:14 PM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You cannot go wrong with going south from Clarkston on the Rattlesnake, into Enterprise Or. & Joesph. You can take the USFS rd out of Joesph over to Oxbow crossing and into Cambridge........
The Rattlesnake is awsome......Doooo Itttt !!!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Stay on WA 2 across the top of the WA is a great way to get to Sandpoint. It's a great road with great scenery and little towns. It sure beats anything south of it, especially this time of year (darn hot!!!!!). US 95 south to Lewiston and take the Rattlesnake as suggested. Once in Joseph, head around the Wallowas, thru Imnaha, down to Baker City or cross into Idaho. From Ontario OR / Payette ID, head east/north on ID 52, to ID 55 to ID21 through Stanley. Once in Stanley/Ketchum/Sun Valley ID, head southeast on ID 75 and when you get to US20, head east to Idaho Falls.

If the Rattlesnake approach is too much or too out of the way, just susbtitute US95 south out of Lewiston, which will take you to the south to ID55 which will get you to the above roads across central ID.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
cobby
Tourer
Default thanks

we are leaving home, up us20 to arco, up 93 to challis, 75 to stanley, 21 to lowman, fs 24 to banks, down to horseshoe bend and over to new plymouth on our first leg to the oregon coast. not a big fan of backtracking, will in a pinch. US 2 sounds good, over to US 93 and home. what is the road number of the rattlesnake? is that basically the oregon side of hells canyon? ya it will be hot. GD it's been hot all summer. startin to get used to it. i'm not a big fan of US95, pretty busy road and US55 can kill you on weekends with all the retards out of Boise going to McCall and then home. like i said, i savvy all of idaho and western montana south of I-90, maybe it's time to swing north a little. thanks

Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 PM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hwy 120 thru Asotin, Or. #3
And the ride from Oxbow to Cambridge is short ,, but sweet.

We did most all you are doing 3 yrs ago,,,Awesome Ride !

Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 PM
cobby
Tourer

I figured it out. Gonna stay north on Wa 20 all the way to Idaho, pop through Sandpoint and go down Mt 200 to Missoula. 93 to home. Thanks for all the input.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cobby
I figured it out. Gonna stay north on Wa 20 all the way to Idaho, pop through Sandpoint and go down Mt 200 to Missoula. 93 to home. Thanks for all the input.
Thompson Falls Inn is a great place to stay overnight,good food downtown. South of Missoula,hwy 12 over Lolo Pass,down to Lewiston/Clarkston.Spectacular run.Lots of damage on Hwy 20 near Wauconda/Republic in Ferry County, heavy storms went through there,so check with the State Patrol before taking that route.

Last edited by Twistnride; 08-03-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cobby
Great choice. US 95 south of Sandpoint is pretty ordinary and not much of a ride. You'll love 200 to Missoula,

Old 08-05-2012, 10:08 PM
cobby
Tourer

Probably stay in Winthrop or Omak, ride to Thompson Falls and then to Challis, ID. We'll see how Labor Day weekend treats us with no reservations.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:17 AM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What dates are you making this trip Cobby. I live in Kettle Falls and rode 200 to Missoula today. Some hiway resurfacing around Clark Fork, prolly worse during the week.

There is a couple great stops between Tonasket and Sandpoint. Shoot me a pm with contact info and I'll give ya a shout. I type too slow on this pad thingy.

Check out Molson out of Tonasket and Boulder hiway between Curlew and Kettle Falls. Flowery Trail is a great option from Chewelah to Newport. Let me know your plans, might take in a leg of it with you. Molson is really worth seeing, cool ghost town with tons of well preserved buildings, implements, school house, etc.

Have a good one. EW

Quick Reply: eastern Washington