Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

What wouldl you do? Here's what I did!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:50 PM
mrmatw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile What wouldl you do? Here's what I did!

Your riding along the highway on the way to work, it's about 5:15 am. Dawn is setting in but still a lot of shadows and dark spots along the way. Then all at once you see out to your left a utility truck tire coming right at you! Mind you this came off a west bound truck and hopped the median. Behind you a semi fully loaded, to the left another delivery truck and to the right a smart car. What would you do?

In a split second I had to make a choice to either lay it down take my chances with the semi and the other two vehicles or ride through it and make it to the side of the road if I could?

I rode through it. It broke my fairing, inner and outer, windshield, tank. tire hit me square in the side and shoulder. I remained up right, pain can't remember how bad other than the fact i was focusing on getting out of everyone's way. Actually made it the side of the road. killed the engine let come to a stop then fell to the right in the grass and dirt.

Witness' said they've never thought I'd make it. Semi driver said I was rider and other witness was having a heart attack while calling 911. State patrol got there. Paramedics were there got me to the hospital very quickly.

The driver of the truck that lost the tire told the officer that he felt the truck acting weird and was heading for the shop. He was sited for failure to maintain a safe vehicle. Me six ribs broke, broken shoulder in three places and lot of pain.

I'll call it a miracle I made it. The road glide is really what saved me. If it was a bat wing it would fliped the front wheel to the left and that would be all she wrote. So first thanks the lord for looking over me that morning.. Thanks to the drivers behind me and to the good smaritin that called. Police report states that the collision speed was approximate 120 mph.

Thanks HD for a well put togehter bike... 8 weeks later I'm getting my left arm back in the game, starting work and waiting on the bike to be put back together. Yes I have a lawyer but only want my medical and future medical to be taken care of along with what state allows for P&S (pain and suffering). I can't wait to RIDE! Don't count me out... So be safe, always have an escape route as you ride and have fun..!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:02 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Very happy you're alive!!!!
(collision speed is WAY off!!)

Old 07-17-2017, 07:27 PM
kevin_n
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

Glad to hear you made it through. Collision speed probably isn't that far off, depending how fast he was going and the truck when the wheel came off. Lose tires roll so fast it'll pass you before you realize it is yours.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 PM
mstrobes
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 129 Posts

glad your'e ok.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:34 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Good to hear you came out ok. I believe you made the right decision. I don't think laying her down is ever the right choice. Though often a natural choice.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (07-20-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 04:58 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default What Would I Do?

I'd probably have died! You were riding with angels that day!

Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmatw
The road glide is really what saved me.
Thanks HD for a well put togehter bike...

Old 07-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

holy hell, glad you are here to tell the story. Hard to say what I would have done, probably the same as you.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:58 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Wow! Good reaction and you are lucky to be alive. Hope you heal soon and get back to riding.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Somebody was watching over you... Wish you the best.

Quick Reply: What wouldl you do? Here's what I did!