Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

might try and save this 67 trike - thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:29 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default might try and save this 67 trike - thoughts

I might buy this 67 trike and chop it back to something original from the early 70's - which means throw it on my frame jig and put a rear frame section on it - and go psychedelic hippy killer on it - I think I can buy it for around 4K - has HD title - but not linked to motor - most likely a frame chop.

Any thoughts? I 'd sell the rear-end which is a buick rear converted to chain drive - greased spiders - open unit for entry of chain - not sure if this is worth it

Old 10-20-2017, 05:48 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

probably only the motor is worth that... genny shovels got expensive!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 PM
fergerburger
Road Master

title is not to the motor - so I figure the motor is worth 3K - tranny is worth 700 - frame/title worth 800 - I'm right on the edge if I buy it - I'm not independently wealthy so I have to make the books balance when I take bikes in to rebuild

Old 10-21-2017, 06:51 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

at any more then 2500 I would walk away

the yellow is stupid and will cost to remove the frame and title 8 is a stretch, maybe as a roller 8 but I don't think its going anyplace soon

while I agree the oem flat sides are bringing real money with correct numbers and paper work they fall into just shovel stuff in the end when its all doddle upped

tough call if you have the real-estate to park it till sometime in the future and 2500 not 4 that does not fit

Old 10-21-2017, 11:56 AM
fergerburger
Road Master

I agree - but the stretch in the frame would work with a hardtail or digger style solid rear strut style bike - this site does not attract the hipsters that buy chops and bobs like that - and those guys dont care about the original HD matching title for the olde stuff - seems like mostly restoration and stockers here.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:40 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the hipsters we get are into pre war forks like RL / VL type or knuckle forks flathead motors are a go to as well as some of the others - nothing I see I could sell just saying

Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,934 Likes on 2,569 Posts

My 2 cents, not enough there to save. $4k would be ok for the flatside shovel if it came with a good title, but it doesn't have one. So what are you really buying, an ugly yellow motor with no title and you are going to scrap the rest? Too far the other way, you are going to be upside down fast.

That bike is worth buying if you wanted a Shovel trike and where just planning on getting the ugly out of it. But to take it all the way back to a two wheeler and hope to flip the "stuff" for cash is a stretch. Good luck.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:00 PM
fergerburger
Road Master

yeah - does have a title with the frame though - that bike in my avatar is a 48 pan- shovel - has an HD tail with a stretch in the neck - all custom up front - guys on this board would have nothing to do with my 48 - over at ChopCult or at some of the sites in Japan - that bike brings 10K plus all day - that trike - with a hardtail installed - narrow front end - narrowed peanut gas tank - king-queen with sissy bar - lane splitter bars - would easily bring 8K over there - plus I get to save that poor yellow coward

Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 AM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fergerburger
I might buy this 67 trike and chop it back to something original from the early 70's - which means throw it on my frame jig and put a rear frame section on it - and go psychedelic hippy killer on it - I think I can buy it for around 4K - has HD title - but not linked to motor - most likely a frame chop.

Any thoughts? I 'd sell the rear-end which is a buick rear converted to chain drive - greased spiders - open unit for entry of chain - not sure if this is worth it

HD title not linked to the motor, if titled to the frame it should have a bill of sale for the motor if it still has the vin on the motor or it'll end up impounded.
Sheet.... if paper work is in order, for $4k, my friend who has several genny's said he would jump on it. Yes, genny shovels are hot, over the past 7 yrs, while all the other old HD's have either leveled off and dropped in resale value, the genny shovels have been climbing in value. Seven yrs ago, you could've bought an all original unmolested genny for approx. $7k, now they will bring anywhere's from $11k and upward.
Paying only $2k for it, keep in mind it's a shop, they'll put new rear fenders on it, repaint it and flip it for about $8k.