Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Help with tranny oil capacity.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 PM
mkhenry
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with tranny oil capacity.

I posted this in the tranny section but this might be a better place since it is a Shovelhead.

I have a 1980 FXE that the previous owner changed to a Sputhe 5 speed. Not sure if it is a 5 in a 4 conversion with HD innards or a true Sputhe 5 speed but it still has the 4 speed dry clutch with a five finger hub if that means anything. It has a chrome cover on the side where the kick starter would be and the cover has a dip stick in it. I drained the old tranny fluid today and went to fill up with the Redline V Twin transmission oil with Shockproof stuff that looks like Pepto-Bismol . I was planning to put 22 to 24 oz in it because everything I have read or heard suggests this amount. But I figured that since it had a dip stick, I would measure out 4 oz at a time to see exactly how much it held. Well, at 16oz, it is slightly over the full mark. Reckon I should go with this or put another 8 oz in it to bring it up to 24 ozs? Not sure if this dipstick cover came on the tranny or was added for it's shiney appeal. I emailed Sputhe Engineering about the oil capacity hoping they would tell me how many ounces but this was their reply.

Hi Mike

The trans is full when the oil level is 1" below the centerline if the shafts.

Best regards,

Alan Sputhe

Well, that would be great if you could see anything in the dipstick hole.

What do you guys think?