Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EFI Sportster 48 Wont Idle, Fuel from intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 PM
SportyMcFly
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Sportster 48 Wont Idle, Fuel from intake

Ok I'm seeking help for a problem I've been having with my 2016 Sportster 48. I'll start with how it started.

I was out riding one day at night and about 3-4 miles away from my house I could smell fuel but I had thought it was from another vehicle that had passed me. So I made my way back home and along the way the bike felt a little rough when I would accelerate at lower rpms (out of the norm). I got home and let the bike idle while I did a walk around and tried to find anything wrong but I didn't notice anything out of the norm.

The next day I tried to start the bike and it started but would die after a second or two. It's basically been doin this for a while and I've been trying to diagnose the problem and nothing has helped so far. I had gotten codes P2300 & P2303 and I set out to do the following

Things I've Tried:
  • Check Fuses
  • Clean intake
  • Replace Spark plugs
  • Swap Plug Wires
  • New Ignition Coil
  • Swap Throttle Position Sensor
  • Cleaned O2 sensors
  • Took Fuel pump out of tank to inspect (looked fine)

Things I'm going to do:
  • Check out injectors
  • Run A Compression Check
  • Swap IAC
  • Swap Rectifier

Video of what the bike is doing

If someone has had a similar problem or knows what's going on feel free to share, I'm all ears.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

If you look up the codes you will find they are coil circuit related. You're doing a whole lot of unnecessary work. Systematically diagnose and you will save time and money. Check the connector and wires thoroughly - especially if you recently had the connector off or were working in that area. replacing the coil doesn't fix a wire problem which will also set the code. Check for breaks inside the insulation too.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 01-16-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:10 PM
SportyMcFly
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
If you look up the codes you will find they are coil circuit related. You're doing a whole lot of unnecessary work. Systematically diagnose and you will save time and money. Check the connector and wires thoroughly - especially if you recently had the connector off or were working in that area. replacing the coil doesn't fix a wire problem which will also set the code. Check for breaks inside the insulation too.
I’ve already swapped wires out with another set, that was the second thing I did.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:29 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportyMcFly

I’ve already swapped wires out with another set, that was the second thing I did.
I am not talking about the plug wires - the codes are being set by the coil circuit which includes the wires taht power the coil pos and neg.

An open in one of those wires could set that code. You installed a coil thinking codes always mean parts - codes mean circuits which include wires, switches, parts.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportyMcFly

I am not talking about the plug wires - the codes are being set by the coil circuit which includes the wires that power the coil pos and neg.

An open in one of those wires could set that code. You installed a coil thinking codes always mean parts - codes mean circuits which include wires, sensors, switches, items being monitored.

Your codes don't indicate problems in the laundry list of things you are throwing at it.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 01-16-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:16 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

if i may, mr. ed, i would like to use your saying

"CODES DO NOT MEAN PARTS"
SIMPLY BRILLIANT!

Old 03-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Master Dee
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good evening guys I am have similar problems with my 06 Street Glide. My problem started after I filled up my gas tank once it was just above 1/4 tank. I rode for about 10 miles then parked my bike in the garage for about 3 hours. Then I started the bike up and then it began to run rough and back firing. Then it would start but it had no power and wouldn't stay running, I thought I must have put some bad gas in it , so I drained it out and put fresh gas in it. But it still wouldn't stay running, however it starts a run good for about 30 second and cuts off. So I did a diagnostic check and got some codes which has since disappeared. I had several codes, P0122, P0373, P0374, P1356 and P1353. So what I did was replaced the CKP sensor. I also check all the fuses and the battery is fully charged. I also changed the fuel filter and it still won't run but it still starts. So can any one tell me what I may have missed checking. I am asking before I take it to the shop. By the way I am find any codes when I do the diagnostic check.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:27 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

You would be better off starting a new thread of your own with a title indicating the correct model rather than asking about your Street Glide in a thread titled as "EFI Sportster 48 Wont Idle, Fuel from intake".
Many Street Glide/Touring people may ignore the Sportster thread.

I would check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) connector for poor connections at the wires, damaged connections, backed out pins or possibly an unlocked connection at the connector.
I would also check the TMAP sensor connector. (I know they share the same 5 volt reference line on Sportsters)

Last edited by shanneba; 03-09-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:23 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Either of these bikes have tuning devices installed?
Bob

Old 11-16-2019, 10:18 AM
SportyMcFly
1st Gear

*Close Thread* **Close Account**