Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have to twist throttle to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 05:10 PM
DynamoniusRex
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Have to twist throttle to start

Hey all did a search but couldn't find anything. I recently replaced my motor with a crate S&S 124 on a 2012 Dyna street bob. Just recently my fuel pump died and I replaced it. Sometimes when I go out in the morning I hit the start and it'll crank a little and then all power goes out and I have to hit the start again, almost like what would happen with a low battery. I replaced the starter (12 years old) and it will still sometimes do it. Checked all that regular stuff like battery and cables. Now if I crack open the throttle just a little, it starts right up no problem. Would anyone have any experience with something like this. It didn't do it right before. One thing to note is that the tuner said that he tuned it rich for my break in period as it was hot (AZ) when the motor got put in but this has since been rectified and it was starting fine until recently. Could my battery be dying on me through the night just enough? Could the plugs be fouled from a rich running situation. I'm at work right now and it happened this morning so I'm trying to get some feedback on some things I might check. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:00 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,633 Likes on 6,923 Posts

Get your battery load tested at a local auto supply store.

This will rule out the battery or show the battery is the cause.
Then report back and we can go from there.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:13 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 803 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by DynamoniusRex
It didn't do it right before.
There's a lot going on in this post. Right before what?

Old 11-20-2023, 11:33 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

It's possible that one or both plugs are fouled, but you really won't know until you pull them.
You might want to invest in a battery tender when you sort that out.

Old 11-21-2023, 05:09 PM
DynamoniusRex
Intermediate

So sorry, I was writing it while I was at work and I got side tracked and didn't mean to write that. I completed my thought with the tuner information.

Old 11-21-2023, 05:11 PM
DynamoniusRex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John CC
There's a lot going on in this post. Right before what?
So sorry, I was writing it while I was at work and I got side tracked and didn't mean to write that. I completed my thought with the tuner information.

Old 11-21-2023, 05:12 PM
DynamoniusRex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
Get your battery load tested at a local auto supply store.

This will rule out the battery or show the battery is the cause.
Then report back and we can go from there.
Battery load tested fine.

Old 11-21-2023, 05:20 PM
DynamoniusRex
Intermediate

Sorry guys I wrote the OP at the beginning of the work week and I work 3, 14 hour days. This is my daily get to work machine so during the work week I don't have a lot of time to troubleshoot and get things put back together for work the next day I'll check the plugs as Nevil suggested when I get home tonight since I'm off tomorrow. It's just such a weird problem and I get no codes and after hitting the button 1 or 2 times, it cranks and starts right up. This issue is what originally got me to replace the starter and it definitely needed it once I took the old one apart to look. I just don't get why it starts up on the first try when I open the throttle slightly but it hasn't always done that. This tune that's been on here has been on it for a few months. Also for what it's worth I bought it new and it has ~80k on the bike so any one of these sensors or computers could be crapping out which is why I'm asking if anyone has seen something like this so I have a place to start looking outside of the obvious. I appreciate your guys' time.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:07 AM
DynamoniusRex
Intermediate

So I needed to update this for anyone else having the problem I was describing. It was in fact, the battery even though it was new. It was a bad cell in a NoCo lithium battery. The warranty process with them is ridiculous so I just went back to and AGM and everything has been fine since.

The following 7 users liked this post by DynamoniusRex:
08xl1200r (04-23-2024), Buster (04-23-2024), eighteight (04-23-2024), John CC (04-23-2024), pgreer (04-23-2024), tar_snake (04-23-2024), Tom H (04-23-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)