Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine done, having issues need to vent

Old 06-23-2013, 12:53 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default engine done, having issues need to vent

first start up was a hard start, ran for 30 seconds shut it down to cool off.

second start the battery didn't have enough juice, the starter was so weak the compensator clunked, idle was so low it stalled.

so I hooked up the charger the next day and managed to get her thru the heat cycles. i noticed while she was idling if i blipped the throttle a bit the idle would drop a few hundred rpm (around 800) but slowly fix itself.

i decided to spray throttle body cleaner into the iac again and that's when **** has gone down hill. i think i completely ruined the iac because she wont idle on start up and would stall instantly.i reset the iac using the on/off cycles and got her to start up 3x in a row. next day start/idle issues started again.

I ve come to realize my battery is probably no good too since the voltage is reading 12.8 once charged, tried to start it, it dropped to 12.0, and lowers more around 7.3-9v if I bump the starter more..

so today I went to install the new iac, while lifting the rear of the tank the fuel line that attaches to the intake behind the horn and into the petcock near the seat just broke off.

i was so pissed, all i was trying to do was swap the iac and throw my buddies battery in my bike to verify mine was toast and that my idle issue was fixed and that **** had to happen...

Old 06-23-2013, 02:48 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

good luck man. I am getting to the point where I dread having to change anything on my bike when I dont know how the new stuff is going to perform. I just dropped almost 500 on shocks and they work like crap. Im going for one final ride tomorrow to try to get them adjusted before I go back to my stock ones. I hope you can get the battery , idle issues and starting problems figured out.. looks like you have one hell of a nice bike. Hope you can get it to be more reliable for you...

Old 06-23-2013, 08:30 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to hear that, what a disaster!
Btw, did you install compression release? If not even you fix the battery and starter for now, you might have problem in the future.
Good luck and remember one thing, if it aint broke, don't fit it or fix it till it is, always true!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:53 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

So you'll never spray **** into the iac again and you'll always disconnect the fuel line before lifting the tank. Working on your own **** is all about learning. A new build can never go without working some bugs out. What are you using to tune it? A proper tune will probably help a lot with the run issues.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like your battery is toast. The voltage is to low to run the electricals on the bike. I would check to make sure your charging system is working properly so you do not kill a new battery. As far as the fuel line goes.....$50 bucks at the dealer. Just replaced mine the other day. Doing some electrical work and had to lift the tank as well. Forgot to unhook the fuel line and when I lifted tank... Well you know. Line has been redisgned with metal tubing instead of plastic.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bobnehoc
It sounds like your battery is toast. The voltage is to low to run the electricals on the bike. I would check to make sure your charging system is working properly so you do not kill a new battery. As far as the fuel line goes.....$50 bucks at the dealer. Just replaced mine the other day. Doing some electrical work and had to lift the tank as well. Forgot to unhook the fuel line and when I lifted tank... Well you know. Line has been redisgned with metal tubing instead of plastic.
Yeah, same here forgot about it and snap.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by vdop
So you'll never spray **** into the iac again and you'll always disconnect the fuel line before lifting the tank. Working on your own **** is all about learning. A new build can never go without working some bugs out. What are you using to tune it? A proper tune will probably help a lot with the run issues.
Yeah it's not my first rodeo, but **** happens. ill get it sorted out. I don't take my bike to mechanics when I know it's something I can handle myself.

As for the tune, it's still the map that was done on the dyno for my 96 with cams etc. using a pc 3. nothing for the big bore or headwork was added.

Once she's running and I get 1000 miles on her ill have her dyno tuned again.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 128auto
Sorry to hear that, what a disaster!
Btw, did you install compression release? If not even you fix the battery and starter for now, you might have problem in the future.
Good luck and remember one thing, if it aint broke, don't fit it or fix it till it is, always true!
Yeah I have compression releases so I should be fine..

Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Harley rapes you on those fuel 5/16" to 5/16" barbed connectors as you have to buy the entire line and all. You can find just the barbed quick release fitting at most any parts store. I got mine at Napa and they were 2 for $5 (part number 730-5617). I also had some extra fuel line so I made mine line a couple inches longer. Good luck.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

Last edited by Bagger_Vance; 06-23-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:28 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

Yep that's what I need thanks man appreciate that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine done, having issues need to vent