Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear fender light on breakout...and license plate relocation

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 02:01 PM
PikeAl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear fender light on breakout...and license plate relocation

ok....I know this has been covered here plenty of times...but after spending a day searching for diagrams and actual wiring information, I am a bit lost.

I got everything taken apart and figured out how to take the wires out of the plugs and got the new turn signal standoff on order. that part will be ok. my questions...

Can I wire the LED license plate bolts into the plug where the original bracket was plugged into? Can I reuse the original sleeves or would I need new ones?

Second question...The under fender light needs to be hooked up, but I don't know where to tap or how to do it without cutting anything up. I've seen pictures, but without an explanation I don't really understand it.

I want to make sure I understand what I'm doing. Wiring and electrical has never been my strong suit, but I'm willing to try and have a very basic understanding. Just don't want to screw anything up...and I actually take pride in doing these things myself.

I'll post up pics when I'm done....also putting on a bowman sissybar...so the wife can come along once in a while.

as always...thanks for all the help

Old 01-07-2015, 04:02 PM
TpaGreenHornet
Tourer
Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

A FSM would help you. if you don't have them you should get a set for your model/year. When I moved my plate on my Blackline ,I spliced into the wires at the connector under the seat

Old 01-07-2015, 07:19 PM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea just splice into the wire thats already for the plate.I drilled a small hole close to where the bolts go through the fender to run the wire through,just spray some paint in it so it wont rust. hopefully this pic helps.

Attached Thumbnails rear fender light on breakout...and license plate relocation-2014-06-30-14.13.29.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 07:01 AM
PikeAl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...so i decided that I'm going to buy a new plug and wire the LED bolts to it and plug it in to the oem plug on the bike for the license plate lights. I'll run them up the swing arm. Figure that shouldn't be terribly difficult and a novice like me should be able to do that.

Now...I need to tap into the brake lights to wire up the led brake light strip.

Can anyone identify these wires? I've looked and as I don't have a wiring diagram I don't know what each one is. I really only need it as a brake light. That's the plug from the left hand side turn signal.