Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailight delete Need help!!! Roland sands

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 PM
chuckles81
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailight delete Need help!!! Roland sands

So I got an RSD fender put on and am wanting to run laser light LED turns in the rear and have a side mount license plate from badlands that has LED lights for plate lights. Thing is my indy guy can figure out how to wire any of this up because of the harness. Any thoughts or ideas please!!! So in Short I just want rear turns that are running/tailight/turns along with plate light

Old 07-24-2014, 05:03 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is exactly what i did you will need a RUN/TURN/STOP modulator (you can get it from Harley for 65) it plugs into the wiring harness under they seat. Then you will only need to use the ground and turn wires from the harness that runs under your fender this will work your turns and since the modulator will also make them brake and running lights. There is one wire from the harness that is constant this can be run for you LED light on the plate. On my harness it was Purple and Brown wires for turns and Blue wire for constant for LED plate. each one will need a ground wire. Rest of the wires can be cut out of the harness since you wont need them for your set up. This is all assuming your harness is like mine.

P.S. I dont want to be negative but you may want to rethink the indy as this is pretty simple modification. Just my two cents!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:54 AM
chuckles81
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
This is exactly what i did you will need a RUN/TURN/STOP modulator (you can get it from Harley for 65) it plugs into the wiring harness under they seat. Then you will only need to use the ground and turn wires from the harness that runs under your fender this will work your turns and since the modulator will also make them brake and running lights. There is one wire from the harness that is constant this can be run for you LED light on the plate. On my harness it was Purple and Brown wires for turns and Blue wire for constant for LED plate. each one will need a ground wire. Rest of the wires can be cut out of the harness since you wont need them for your set up. This is all assuming your harness is like mine.

P.S. I dont want to be negative but you may want to rethink the indy as this is pretty simple modification. Just my two cents!
Awesome!!! Thanks I knew it couldn't be that difficult. The indy guy is good at everything but electrical crap. But yeah I'm pretty frustrated.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

So let me get this straight...
You got a guy working on your bike who calls himself a professional bike mechanic and can't figure out how to wire up a set of tail lights???
Dude, I SUCK at electrical, I'll admit that. But I got my own lights wired up and working. Perhaps your "indy" should consider a new career, unless there are plenty of other people like you lined up to put their $20,000 bike into the hands of any amateur.
Jeeze, I thought I'd never be good enough to charge people money to fix bikes, but maybe I ought to rethink this...hmmmm, if I were to charge even half as much as the local dealer to bolt **** on people's bikes.......

Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 AM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

here's what you need...
Auxiliary Brake Light/Running Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit-69461-06D

since all the wires in the harness thought the fender are the same color (1 black & the other 5 are bluish / purple) but you will still need to trace out some wires to see what does what and wire everything up. if he struggles with that i would find a new mechanic or learn how to work on your own bike. there's a lot help on here if you need it.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 PM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

heres some more details for you on how mine was, post up on there and let me know what you think or if it helps
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-and-tips.html