Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Fatboy Rear Tire / Wheel changed

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 PM
SDozier
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Changed the tire / rear wheel

Changed the tire / rear wheel for a new Reaper Wheel and new tire today. Not that difficult but did take two of us to get it done. Could do it again much faster now that we know how to do it.

Have problem with the rear brake caliper. First reinstall, brakes want to drag and you can hear it scrape. Plus the rotor gets scalding hot! Looked like the pistons were staying out a bit too much. Pads are not that good but did not do this before.

Took caliper off and apart, moved the pistons back, put the tensioner back in place and reinstalled. Better but still hear it squeal / scrape too much on the rotor. Seems as though the pistons are out a bit.

Any recommendations on how to get the calipers to work properly? Is there something I am missing or should be doing?

SUP

The rotor looks centered in the caliper. The back tire looks centered on the rear fender. All spacers went on where they came off. When I moved the pistons back in, put the caliper on, rode it with front brake only. No problem. When I applied the rear brake a few times, it started scraping.

Read where someone had the same problem after a tire change. They called it a brakepad spring plate had come loose causing the caliper to not retreat enough on the rotor. Once put in properly that was it. I am assuming that is the piece I had come loose and I put it back in. Perhaps I will take it apart, clean everything well, put it back together again and see what happens. Will let all know.

SUP

Update: Took caliper off bracket this morning and cleaned very well with brake cleaner. Made sure to put an old towel underneath for overspray. Did this two times to make sure caliper pistons as clean as possible. Cleaned rotor with brake cleaner spray as well. Put caliper back on bike, rode 3 miles, seems back to normal. No scraping noise, brakes are not strong (needs new pads) but the pistons do release and allow pad to move back a bit. Bike rolls freely with clutch pulled in (drive belt does still slow down a bit). All seems normal.

SUP

Got bike finished (2008 Fatboy) with new Rear Wheel (REAPER) and new rear tire. Put Stinger front wheel on (found a great deal on ebay) with new tire. Bike looks good and rides like new with new tires. Did it myself. Thanks for input from the website and research from the internet.

SUP

Last edited by sloufoot; 02-08-2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: All the same problem just like different sentences
Old 01-31-2015, 07:47 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,319 Likes on 5,423 Posts

Originally Posted by SDozier
Any recommendations on how to get the calipers to work properly? Is there something I am missing or should be doing?
Something has changed and the rotor is not centered in the caliper...some spacing is in order...you need to look at it and decide which direction it needs to go to be centered.