Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank Quick disconnect fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gas tank Quick disconnect fuel line

I'm getting my gas tank ready for paint boys so I'm taking all the guts out.

Finally was able to get the fuel pump and fuel sender unit out of it after wrestling with it for half an hour.

I'm wondering if I should take off the fitting for the quick disconnect fuel line at the bottom/rear of the gas tank before sending it to paint. I would think that would be the smart thing to do no? Don't sznt the painter to screw it up.

I looked in the manual but they don't mention anything about it. It looks to me like it just unscrews from the tank. But on the inside it's attached to a rubber hose.

Everything else inside the tank is removed. Just wanna make sure there are no hidden steps I'm missing before I remove that thing quick connect fitting.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Superrust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would remove for paint. I'm not sure how to disconnect but have had good luck chatting with a mechanic from harley on other things. If you can't find and answer here you could try calling.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:32 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just twist and push up on the chrome sleeve and the fuel line comes out . then you can unscrew the disconnect fitting from the tank .

Old 02-09-2015, 07:18 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Got it. Definitely gonna take it off for paint.

Thanks professor. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't gonna screw up that plastic hose that's inside the tank which is attached to the quick disconnect fitting.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:26 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

You have to disconnect the hose from the pressure regulator. You have to be careful not to crack the plastic housing holding the pressure regulator. Then you do the quick release and nut and pull the hose out of the bottom of the tank.

You can check the article on replacing the fuel filter here:

http://csharpharley.blogspot.com

to help with putting the stuff back in. I will add the lower hose to the article sometime soon, but it's no big deal.

C#

Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for that link sharp.
I got everything out from inside the tank. The only thing in there is the plastic hose attached to the quick disconnect fitting.

It was a pain in the *** to remove the plastic white piece which holds the float. I couldn't figure out how to work the locking tabs. I knew which direction I needed to pull it to get it out but I couldn't figure out how to work the plastic tabs that lock it into place.

Finally just as I was getting ready to give up for the day, bam!!! I was able to get it out.