Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Breakout load equalizer?

Old 05-06-2015, 09:53 PM
JemmyPaeg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Breakout load equalizer?

I just installed 4 led turn signals on my breakout, despite all I've seen online saying you do not need a load equalizer, the indicator lights on the dash blink fast, but not the signals themselves. Am I correct in guessing rather than a load equalizer this could be fixed by the dealer changing a setting in the BCM to recognize the LED signals?

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:18 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

I installed 2 front turn signals 2 rear brake/turn signals from Custom Dynamics and the indicator on the dash blinks regular speed with the lights. I to read you didn't need it for the 14's either. So far works for me

Old 05-06-2015, 10:33 PM
JemmyPaeg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Odd. I'm reading that letting the hazard lights flash for a couple minutes may work as the bike will relearn it has LEDs installed. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:33 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 502 Likes on 246 Posts

No you do not need a load equalizer on a Canbus bike. The 4 way flashers thing should fix it no problem, it worked fine on my DeLuxe and Road King both Canbus

Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JemmyPaeg
Odd. I'm reading that letting the hazard lights flash for a couple minutes may work as the bike will relearn it has LEDs installed. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
I went back and looked at the instructions I received with my lights and that's exactly what I had to do also. I forgot about that step. You should be fine after doing that.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Very interested in this topic. Just had on my 2014 Breakout the Thunderbike rear fender with integrated LED turn signals and tail light installed by my local dealer as well as MBW Wrap Around Led front blinkers. Guess what? engine light on speedo remains switched on due to trouble codes for those LED lights even though they installed load equalizers.
Obviously I left the bike in there asking to solve the problem and one option I told them is to try without equalizers since 2014 BO is a Canbus bike and as stock already has rear LED lights.
Any help from u guys will be highly appreciated.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior

The 2014 BO doesn't come stock with LED tail lights. I know mine didnt

Old 05-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jgos929
The 2014 BO doesn't come stock with LED tail lights. I know mine didnt
Not led tail light but led rear turn signals with integrated tail light function.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 502 Likes on 246 Posts

I find it curious that a Harley dealer would install load equalizers on a Canbus bike. It's apparent that all dealers are not very savvy about their own products. One thing of note, the proper resistance has to be built in by the manufacturer of the product. When I installed the Harley bought saddlebag brake/ run lights on my '14 Limited the dash flasher would work fine when I had the tourpak on, when I removed it, the dash signal would flash fast. The 4way fix would not work. I spoke to Custom Dynamics and they assured me that Harley had not done their job there. They must have been correct because on later issues of those same lights, Harley added a module to adjust the resistance and fix it.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I find it curious that a Harley dealer would install load equalizers on a Canbus bike. It's apparent that all dealers are not very savvy about their own products. One thing of note, the proper resistance has to be built in by the manufacturer of the product. When I installed the Harley bought saddlebag brake/ run lights on my '14 Limited the dash flasher would work fine when I had the tourpak on, when I removed it, the dash signal would flash fast. The 4way fix would not work. I spoke to Custom Dynamics and they assured me that Harley had not done their job there. They must have been correct because on later issues of those same lights, Harley added a module to adjust the resistance and fix it.
Local dealer installed the Thunderbike rear fender with integrated led turn lights and tail light with the load equalizers I bought from Thunderbike too. Also installed front led turn signals with same equalizers.
Dash (actually speedo clamp signal on BO) flashes fast, but I was told that might happen. What I'm concerned about are the trouble codes that cause the engine warning light switched on.
Quite obvious something hasn't been done properly so trying to find out possible solutions. Hazard lights on for 2 minutes? Being a canbus bike trying without equalizers? Honestly I'm not into those electronic issues at all...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Breakout load equalizer?