Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Have A Noise In The Rear Wheel Area On The Belt Side

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 472 Likes on 251 Posts
Default I Have A Noise In The Rear Wheel Area On The Belt Side

On my 2011 Fat Boy Lo I first noticed a slight "chirping" noise in February when we were on vacation in New Smyrna Beach, we were staying right on the ocean and I thought it may have been the sticky salt water mist on the pulley (and all over the rest of the bike) that was in the air because as soon as I washed the bike it cleared up. Now the noise is back and more pronounced, just washed it up a couple of weeks ago, so I don't think it's a dirt thing, but on our ride up to Sandusky the weekend before last it never seemed to go away.

Now I'm starting to think wheel bearings. Could it be the belt working around in the pulley, if it wasn't completely true or the belt tension was off? The wheels are from Extreme Machine and have only been on for 2000 miles tops. Has any one had trouble with their wheel bearings? If I do replace the bearings, what are you guys using? Are OEM worth a ****? Are there some better aftermarket options? I've always preferred Timken or Link-Belt when I can get them

Old 06-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Is your belt adjustment in spec?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 472 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Is your belt adjustment in spec?
That was one of the things I'm going to check when I service it this week. With the Shotgun Shock it changes with changes in ride height. Another variable

The pulley isn't showing any kind of wear like the belt is walking around though

????????

Old 06-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake cleaner on pads & rotor

Old 06-18-2015, 06:28 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
On my 2011 Fat Boy Lo I first noticed a slight "chirping" noise in February when we were on vacation in New Smyrna Beach, we were staying right on the ocean and I thought it may have been the sticky salt water mist on the pulley (and all over the rest of the bike) that was in the air because as soon as I washed the bike it cleared up. Now the noise is back and more pronounced, just washed it up a couple of weeks ago, so I don't think it's a dirt thing, but on our ride up to Sandusky the weekend before last it never seemed to go away.

Now I'm starting to think wheel bearings. Could it be the belt working around in the pulley, if it wasn't completely true or the belt tension was off? The wheels are from Extreme Machine and have only been on for 2000 miles tops. Has any one had trouble with their wheel bearings? If I do replace the bearings, what are you guys using? Are OEM worth a ****? Are there some better aftermarket options? I've always preferred Timken or Link-Belt when I can get them
I am going through the same thing... and it has now changed to a ping... I have been chasing this for a while (I originally thought my gremlin bell was making noise). In my case, I jacked up the bike to see if I thought that the bearings were going bad and spun the wheel... smooth as silk. As for other possibilities... 1. Is the noise from the wheel rotation only? Put the bike in neutral on a safe street and coast. 2. Check with the brakes moderately applied and the clutch pulled in. 3. Does it happen right away in the morning or does the bike have to have some miles on it first? 4. Did someone put your belt guard on with the overlap of the guard to the frame connection in the wrong order? 5. Is there at least some minimum clearance between your belt and your pully on both sides?

Any of these might lead you to different answers. I seem to be experiencing #3 which would imply bearings... that have to get hot first... or my ears don't work first thing in the morning. Problem is I had my bearings replaced a while back and they should still be good. I am getting ready to put on a new rear tire so I will know more once I have done that.

Good luck... love those Harleys.

C#

Old 06-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
That was one of the things I'm going to check when I service it this week. With the Shotgun Shock it changes with changes in ride height. Another variable

The pulley isn't showing any kind of wear like the belt is walking around though

????????
I don't slam my Shotgun Shock to the ground, adjust the belt and then raise it to riding height when I leave.